PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu & Web Design / Development

leemajors
June 26th, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hey,

I'm almost there with my complete switch from Windows to Ubuntu.

There are a few programs, however, that I still need to keep Windows for unfortunately, mostly being Adobe Flash.

I thought I would put the question to the community as to which applications on Ubuntu work best to substitute the following:

Dreamweaver CS3
Flash CS3 (ie requirement to create swfs, and support actionscript 2 &3)
FTP program such as FileZilla
SCP (I use WinSCP on windows)

I know the FTP and SCP ones are going to be easy, and there's guaranteed to be a great web-oriented IDE that will work waaaay better than Dreamweaver but I'm stumped about the flash problem.

If you could let me know what your favourite app you use for any of the above I would be very grateful!

Thanks

stalkier
June 26th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hey,

I'm almost there with my complete switch from Windows to Ubuntu.

There are a few programs, however, that I still need to keep Windows for unfortunately, mostly being Adobe Flash.

I thought I would put the question to the community as to which applications on Ubuntu work best to substitute the following:

Dreamweaver CS3
Flash CS3 (ie requirement to create swfs, and support actionscript 2 &3)
FTP program such as FileZilla
SCP (I use WinSCP on windows)

I know the FTP and SCP ones are going to be easy, and there's guaranteed to be a great web-oriented IDE that will work waaaay better than Dreamweaver but I'm stumped about the flash problem.

If you could let me know what your favourite app you use for any of the above I would be very grateful!

Thanks

I have yet to find any Flash-type apps for linux. Of course, this doesn't mean they do not exist just that I cannot find them. As far as getting CS3 to work using WINE or similar program not too many people have got it to work. CS2 was a big enough problem. Myself I had to resort to a very old MX version of Adobe apps. (MX not MX 2004).

syczu
June 26th, 2008, 11:47 PM
There isn't native for flash cs3, but it works good on wine.

lemuriaX
June 26th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Filezilla has a Linux version, it's in the repo's.

ibutho
June 26th, 2008, 11:53 PM
For Dreamweaver, you can try Quanta, BlueFish or Aptana Studio (http://www.apatana.com) (it needs java). For an FTP client, there is a FileZilla client for Linux or you can use gFTP, Kasablanca and others. For winscp, you can just use scp on the command line.

leemajors
June 27th, 2008, 12:00 AM
There isn't native for flash cs3, but it works good on wine.

Flash CS3 does? Well that's quite awesome. Can anyone else tell me if they've had Flash CS3 experience with WINE?

syczu
June 27th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Via this http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/ you can install flash on wine by one simple click, it'll download and install it automatically.

Xerp
June 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
I actually quite like Geany for the web work I do.

FTP and SCP are right there, built in under Places, so nothing special needed.

Adobe Flash Professional, as mentioned, needs WINE.

leemajors
June 27th, 2008, 12:29 AM
it'll download and install it automatically.

hmm, that doesn't sound right.. are you talking about the flash player or the flash development environment?

leemajors
June 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I actually quite like Geany for the web work I do.

Is Geany kind of like Textmate for the Mac?

Would definitely love to hear more opinions on peoples favourite IDEs for their web work...

Xiong Chiamiov
June 27th, 2008, 05:34 AM
I use Komodo Edit (http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/komodo_edit.mhtml) for my PHP programming, because it has tabs, project support and intuitive code folding. It also supports opening and saving files over FTP, which is really nifty.

You will probably also want IEs4Linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/) at some point in time.

syczu
June 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM
hmm, that doesn't sound right.. are you talking about the flash player or the flash development environment?

Definitely about flash development enviroment.

leemajors
June 28th, 2008, 04:02 AM
wow that's crazy -- it'll just download it? how does that work legally? ;)

syczu
June 28th, 2008, 10:54 AM
It's set on 30 days trial.

lemuriaX
June 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM
I like Bluefish for web development, although Dreamweaver is still my favourite.