PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] duhh

rixtr66
June 26th, 2008, 10:16 PM
i recently bought an acer aspire it has 2 gigs of ram with the intel onboerd extreme graphics chip i think it is up to257 mb of memory it also has a intel celeron 2gprocessor,heres the thing i had to take to a computer repair shop to get ubuntu working,well they got my wireless working and the sound,but after using it for an hour i wanted to access add remove programs but it appeared for a second then disapeared,the same thing happens when i get into package manager and update manager,also fire fox sometimes works and sometimes it doesnt?what is causing this?its a new install and im thinking the laptop hard ware might not be supported.i took it backn to the repair shop i dont have an install disk,ubuntu8.04lts is what im using,can anyone help,also how do i get an installdvd iheard you could buy one how?thanx for any help you can offer,i am after all a newbie,rixtr:confused:

Papenco
June 26th, 2008, 10:21 PM
It's strange and I don't know the way you can fix this.
But, have you tried installing programs for the terminal? Does your terminal work O.K?

type

apt-cache search "Name of Program you're searching for"

then

sudo apt-get install "Name of Package/s"

cariboo
June 26th, 2008, 10:51 PM
You can request a cd from here.

http://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download

The dvd usually has two different installation types on them so you're not getting more, just two ways to install Ubuntu.

Jim