PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 7.10 disc hangs

mrrod
June 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I have a ubuntu 7.10 disc posted to me and i wanted to view the o/s before installing. Unfortunetly wen i click on 'run or instal' option the cd starts it's checks / installs but then hangs on this line:

running local boot script(/etc/rc.local) [ok]

i'm using a samsung R20 laptop, core duo with vista pre installed. Is there something i need to do first before the o/s will run from cd or do i have a corrupt cd or it's not compatible with my laptop?

Rocket2DMn
June 26th, 2008, 11:51 PM
It sounds like the LiveCD doesn't like your video card since it isn't loading X (the GUI base). You can try booting the LiveCD into safe graphics mode (I think you hit F4 at the options menu), or you can try getting a Hardy Heron LiveCD since Gutsy is no longer the newest stable version of Ubuntu.
If you can live without seeing the OS first, you can install with an alternate install cd which uses a text based installer, but is still intuitive and very easy to use. Your graphics should work fine after you install, the LiveCD just has limited support.

jualin
June 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Also you should check the CD for Defects by choosing the corresponding option when trying to boot. This will take a while but it may tell you if you need to get a new Ubuntu CD.