PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] nano xorg - how to edit?

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 09:46 PM
This is the image i get when i type in

nano xorg

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/3950/26062008106sq4.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26062008106sq4.jpg)

there is no text its blank, so there isnt anything for me to edit, i want to change to vesa driver as my display messes up and fades into blank:
http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/6812/25062008103rn5.th.jpg (http://img522.imageshack.us/my.php?image=25062008103rn5.jpg)

also when can i press F6 to enter safe graphics mode? people have submitted this as a solution but all throughout boot sequence i pressed F6 and nothing differs.

I am trying to run 8.04, installed using alternate CD

tamoneya
June 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM
you need to type
sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.confThen do you editting. When you are finished hit ctrl-x and then hit y to save.

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 10:10 PM
hi thanks i tried adding Driver "vesa" i wasnt sure where so i put it were i though necesary and it still does not work should i even replace ALL Driver instances with vesa including keyboard?
e including:

Driver "kdb"
Driver "mouse"
Driver "synaptics"

i would just try but im afraid it might make the devices useless, then i wouldnt be able to use the keyboard?

heres what i did do:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6724/26062008107ni9.th.jpg (http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26062008107ni9.jpg)

or any other solution?

logos34
June 26th, 2008, 10:23 PM
it might be better to run the interactive xorg editor:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

select 'vesa' from list of graphics drivers and proceed. You can probably accept defaults for everything

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM

only gives me the options to edit keyboard settings and thats it, this is the final screen and sends me back to command line:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8441/26062008108xy8.th.jpg (http://img80.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26062008108xy8.jpg)

lemuriaX
June 26th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Hi.

When editing config files, always should make a backup first - like this example:

sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original

Then if you lost your Xwindows you could navigate there to /etc/X11 directory with command line and open the backup copy and save it as xorg.conf to get back to what you had before making any edits.

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 10:40 PM
hi yes thats fine i have restored the original file but the problem still remains even wen i try to do it interactively only keyboard options are given.

in fact i did the interactive version before i attempted to do it myself so i dont think ive messed anything up.

logos34
June 26th, 2008, 10:57 PM
hmm, you're right, just keyboard options...killing xserver (ctrl+alt+f1) doesn't make a diff...maybe my (your?) enabled graphics driver is blocking it. Try rebooting into recovery mode and rerun it there

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 11:04 PM
I went into recovery mode and im presented with another three options:
i chose the second: drop to root shell prompt

typed

same result :(

logos34
June 26th, 2008, 11:09 PM
I guess you have to disable the restricted graphics driver altogether before you can run that program...They must have changed it for hardy because I was able to before.

Just go back to manually editing xorg.conf

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 11:20 PM
ok thats fine but do you know exactly where i need to edit because it doesnt give me much options there either i posted a screencap of what i did do i even changed all the instaces of

Driver "kdb"
Driver "mouse"
Driver "synaptics"

to Driver "veso"

and added extras where there werent:
http://img241.imageshack.us/img241/6724/26062008107ni9.th.jpg (http://img241.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26062008107ni9.jpg)

avtolle
June 26th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Try
gksudo displayconfig-gtkto select your monitor and set your resolutions. Also, click on the graphics tab to see if the correct graphic card is being detected, and, if not, select the correct one if available in the list.

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 11:27 PM
this gives me this message:

(gksudo:4499): Gtk-WARNING **:cannot open display:

i tried that in recovery mode, and after screen blackout, CTRL + ALT + F1 still same message

avtolle
June 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM
In recovery mode, has there been a menu appear that has three items on it, one of which is something like Fix X ? If so, have you selected that?
From terminal, you might try
sudo xfixto see if it will run that utility (I believe that is the correct command).

mali2297
June 26th, 2008, 11:42 PM
hi thanks i tried adding Driver "vesa" i wasnt sure where so i put it were i though necesary and it still does not work should i even replace ALL Driver instances with vesa including keyboard?
e including:

Driver "kdb"
Driver "mouse"
Driver "synaptics"

i would just try but im afraid it might make the devices useless, then i wouldnt be able to use the keyboard?

You should only change the driver entry in Section "Device"; leave everything else as it is.

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "vesa"
EndSection

Also, post the output of

lspci | grep VGA

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 11:44 PM
yes i have tried that before it has given me the best result so far it gives me a quick glimpse of this before the screen fades off a blacks out again its not selectable it comes up for an instance the screen just has not refreshed and eventually fades away:
http://img116.imageshack.us/img116/7240/26062008109zw1.th.jpg (http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=26062008109zw1.jpg)

logos34
June 26th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Does anyone know why you can't choose a new video driver in dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg anymore? This is the first time I've run it since feisty. When did they change it?

nparayo
June 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM
I really appreciate the support

mali how do i perform this part

lspci | grep VGA

i have no idea do i just write it below: Driver "vesa"

Pumalite
June 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Hi logos34. I think since Hardy

mali2297
June 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know why you can't choose a new video driver in dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg anymore? This is the first time I've run it since feisty. When did they change it?

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/207409

mali2297
June 26th, 2008, 11:57 PM

lspci | grep VGA

That line should not be added to xorg.conf but entered at the command line prompt. It will tell us your graphics card.

avtolle
June 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM

lspci | grep VGA

No, you enter that command in the terminal. Do not put it in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

nparayo
June 27th, 2008, 12:09 AM
hi reason for delayed reply ive been trying

lspci | grep VGA

but returns:

bash: 1spci: command not found

just to be sure | is the key next to the Z key right GB keyboard using shift?

ohh and trying the Driver "vesa", it improved boot, now i get the drum beat as the screen fades to blackout.

logos34
June 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/207409

so it's a bug, or do we now have to use displayconfig-gtx in Hardy?

back to the launchpad page to read the whole thing...

nparayo
June 27th, 2008, 12:24 AM
I see that this is a new version of Ubuntu, i remember about 1.5 years ago i had ubuntu running on an identicle laptop fine, i was wondering why i was having problems this time round is it possible i can install the older one and perform an upgrade would this keep the settings?

well thanks for the help do reply ill check in the morning! and ill keep at it.

Pumalite
June 27th, 2008, 12:32 AM
Generally, yes.

logos34
June 27th, 2008, 01:05 AM
omg, why did they change it? (displayconfig-gtk is a gui app---lot of good it does you if you can't start the x server!). dpkg-reconfigure worked just fine

sometimes I wonder about ubuntu...

avtolle
June 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM
From what I've been reading, this is not limited to Ubuntu; other distros are, as I understand it, moving to the "new, improved, bullet-proof X", which it is not.

As to how to get into the displayconfig-gtk app when graphics aren't working, yeah, I don't know myself. Perhaps a boot into safe-graphics mode is contemplated by those who think that they have a better way, from which this might be accomplished. Or, in recovery mode, running xfix (I think that's the name of it) is supposed to take care of things? Dunno, but it shore is inconvenient there.

lemuriaX
June 27th, 2008, 01:28 AM
hi reason for delayed reply ive been trying

lspci | grep VGA

but returns:

bash: 1spci: command not found

just to be sure | is the key next to the Z key right GB keyboard using shift?

ohh and trying the Driver "vesa", it improved boot, now i get the drum beat as the screen fades to blackout.

looks like you may have the number 1 there instead of the letter l

try cutting and pasting the code:

lspci | grep VGA

logos34
June 27th, 2008, 01:56 AM
From what I've been reading, this is not limited to Ubuntu; other distros are, as I understand it, moving to the "new, improved, bullet-proof X", which it is not.

As to how to get into the displayconfig-gtk app when graphics aren't working, yeah, I don't know myself. Perhaps a boot into safe-graphics mode is contemplated by those who think that they have a better way, from which this might be accomplished. Or, in recovery mode, running xfix (I think that's the name of it) is supposed to take care of things? Dunno, but it shore is inconvenient there.

For a test, I backed up xorg.conf then altered it so the machine would choke loading the xserver. Then (since I have a nvidia card) I ran sudo nvidia-xconfig at the console prompt, which generated a new xorg file, but even then the graphics still didn't start! So if it had been for real I'd have been, well, SOL. I think the only thing left to do would be to run the live cd, download the restricted drivers, configure video with nvidia-settings, then copy the saved settings in xorg.conf file to the one on the hard drive

Pumalite
June 27th, 2008, 02:46 AM
xfix will get you a basic xserver going.
'The new Xorg is supposed to be all nice and hotplugable, but dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is no more. /etc/X11/xorg.conf is also now very barebones. This is for the hotplugability. The correct way to configure this new version of X is with the xfix command. Changing resolution is done on the fly with xrandr.'

nparayo
June 27th, 2008, 08:35 AM
looks like you may have the number 1 there instead of the letter l

try cutting and pasting the code:

lspci | grep VGA

Hi here it is

00:02. VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82830 CGC [Chipset Graphics Controler] (rev 04)

if it helps I got this information using dxdiag when I had windows running:

Fujitsu Siemens S6010
Pentium 3 CPU - M
1000MHz
502MB RAM

Intel 82830M Graphics Controller
Total memory: 48MB

BIOS: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0

nparayo
June 27th, 2008, 08:42 AM
xfix will get you a basic xserver going.
'The new Xorg is supposed to be all nice and hotplugable, but dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg is no more. /etc/X11/xorg.conf is also now very barebones. This is for the hotplugability. The correct way to configure this new version of X is with the xfix command. Changing resolution is done on the fly with xrandr.'

Hi i tried

sudo xrandr

it says

Cant open display

xfix i can access by going to recovery mode and that did not work

either way im installing 7.10 at the moment, hopefully i can perform an upgrade and things should be ok.

nparayo
June 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
hey guys I actually got it working this is how i did it:

Download and Install Ubuntu 7.04
perform updates on 7.04
then update to 7.10
Running 7.10 update to 8.04

now im running 8.04 Hardy Heron and after some messing about ive got wireless working as well, what hassle but im there!

davlaw2000
August 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hi guys I hope you can help. I have the same laptop as the person who started this thread - it is a Fujitsu Siemens S6010. I have been experiencing exactly the same problems too, and have even tried installing the same older version of Ubuntu to see if that worked. I am sorry to say that I was unable to install version 7.10! I got a lot of promising messages, then I heard the fanfare, but then all I got was a blank screen :-(

As an experiment I tried installing Xubuntu 8.04 but I got the same problems as those first reported - corrupt screens, stripey screens which seem to fade to black.

I would love to put Ubuntu onto my machine but have so far failed miserably. Any suggestions?

nparayo
August 19th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Hi guys I hope you can help. I have the same laptop as the person who started this thread - it is a Fujitsu Siemens S6010. I have been experiencing exactly the same problems too, and have even tried installing the same older version of Ubuntu to see if that worked. I am sorry to say that I was unable to install version 7.10! I got a lot of promising messages, then I heard the fanfare, but then all I got was a blank screen :-(

As an experiment I tried installing Xubuntu 8.04 but I got the same problems as those first reported - corrupt screens, stripey screens which seem to fade to black.

I would love to put Ubuntu onto my machine but have so far failed miserably. Any suggestions?

Hi there i have push email so i got here quick. You need to in back to ubuntu 7.04! Download the alternate cd, once installed, use an ethernet cable for the internet, and perform the updates using the update manager within ubuntu, once those are done, perform the upgrade using the same tool. Then just keep doing the same for each version until you get to 8.04. This does take ages! The reason for this is ubuntu doesnt like old hardware so they (try to) stop supporting them.