PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Caps Lock shutdowns my computer???

jspolen
June 26th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I have a strange problem that's been going on for a while.

At first I thought it was some kind of hardware problem, as it happened once in a while. Then I started noticing that it happened more frequently, and always as I was nearby caps lock. So I thought it might be some key combination that I'm putting in to shutdown. But now I can't even push caps lock once before the computer shuts down.

The screen just gets black, and nothing more.

Does anyone ever heard of this and know what to do?

Inxsible
June 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Does this happen only in Ubuntu? if you have a dual boot, check it in Windows to confirm if its a hardware issue.

if not, then you should look at the keyboard shortcuts and check if you mistakenly put Caps lock as your shortcut to shutdown.

jspolen
June 26th, 2008, 09:27 PM
I do not have dual boot, and it has never happened in windows when I had that before.

If it was a shortcut to shutdown, should it not been shutting down at first stroke on caps lock before.

Hospadar
June 26th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I heard that caps lock is cruise control for cool, maybe your machine just isn't cool enough =P

You might want to try sticking in another keyboard just to test and see if some wierd hardware quirk is killing linux. I assume this problem isn't specific to any application? You might also try going text-mode (Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F7 to get back to gnome) and see if hitting caps lock there turns off your business. if that's the case, then maybe we can say it's a gnome/X issue, in which case we might try wiping some configuration files.

ps You fight like a dairy farmer. love the pic.

jspolen
June 26th, 2008, 09:58 PM
How appropriate. You fight like a cow! :)

I went to textmode, and there was no problem hitting caps lock.

Do you know how to alter the conf. files for the keyboard in gnome?