PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] dpkg --configure -a

eharp1126
June 26th, 2008, 08:11 PM
When I was updating my HP laptop's Hardy last night, it froze during the update. I had to do a hard reset. When it rebooted, it seemed fine and said that it was up to date. However, I was unable to install any packages. It said
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I ran 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' and it froze my computer again.

I hard reset and tried it again, this time running
sudo apt-get install -f as soon as I ran dpkg, but still it froze.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Midwest-Linux
June 26th, 2008, 08:21 PM
When I was updating my HP laptop's Hardy last night, it froze during the update. I had to do a hard reset. When it rebooted, it seemed fine and said that it was up to date. However, I was unable to install any packages. It said
E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem.
E: _cache->open() failed, please report.

I ran 'sudo dpkg --configure -a' and it froze my computer again.

I hard reset and tried it again, this time running
sudo apt-get install -f as soon as I ran dpkg, but still it froze.

Any ideas?

Thanks

sudo apt-get update

eharp1126
June 26th, 2008, 08:31 PM
before or after dpkg?

eharp1126
June 26th, 2008, 08:35 PM
After running sudo apt-get install -f, I get
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/varlib/dpkg), is another process using it?

After running sudo apt-get update, I get
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ttp could not be found
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11 Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/varlib/dpkg), is another process using it?

shoradhi
June 26th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Hi, you got the same problem with me...what i'm done was, I reboot the ubuntu, run it in recovery mode, then i select an option to fix dpkg. and it works. So now, i can download my updates. Give it try.good luck, cheers

tamoneya
June 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
After running sudo apt-get install -f, I get

After running sudo apt-get update, I get
E: The method driver /usr/lib/apt/methods/ttp could not be found

okay first make sure that you dont have synaptic open or something. If not then it was closed down improperly but left a lock on the directory. Run the following command and then start from the beginning:
sudo rm /varlib/dpkg/lock

Midwest-Linux
June 26th, 2008, 09:15 PM
before or after dpkg?

I just put in sudo apt-get update after the kernel killed the add/remove. Maybe your computer needs another command instead.

eharp1126
June 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
After putting in sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock, running dpkg --configure -a, sudo apt-get install -f it still says the directory is locked.

Also, running sudo dpkg --configure -a results in a kernel statement followed by 'running depmod.'

At this point the system becomes very unresponsive.

Any ideas what to try next?

VMC
June 28th, 2008, 01:10 AM
After putting in sudo rm /var/lib/dpkg/lock, running dpkg --configure -a, sudo apt-get install -f it still says the directory is locked.

Also, running sudo dpkg --configure -a results in a kernel statement followed by 'running depmod.'

At this point the system becomes very unresponsive.

Any ideas what to try next?

I just had this problem. It was only after I re-booted did the problem clear up.