PDA

View Full Version : HP printers

duckgoesoink
June 26th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Hey everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here is using an HP Photosmart C5190 successfully with Ubuntu (maybe someone in France)? I'm looking at buying one from Fnac, but I looked at the supported printers on the HPLIP website and it's not listed (although there are hundreds of others that are).

Don't really want to waste 150€...

Cheers :-)

fatality_uk
June 26th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Visit www.linuxprinting.org/ and check if the printer is listed for support. But MOST HP printers work out the box

spacesearcher
June 26th, 2008, 09:40 PM
we have the 5280 and the 4200. When I plug either of them in they are ready to go in seconds, faster than windows, and work with out any extra setup, even with xsane

FuturePilot
June 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM
A very comprehensive list of supported HP printers that work under HPLIP can be found here (http://hplip.sourceforge.net/supported_devices/combined.html)

ellis rowell
June 26th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I use an HP Photosmart C4280, it works quite well for normal text based prints. My real problem is with photo's, I get some odd sized borders on photo prints with a very wide one on the trailing edge of the print. The only way I can get reasonable borders is to print a picture through Open Office, but it's a bit of a work around. I find that the prints tend to be over saturated and it has to be reduced in the control panel.

The best printer I had was an Epson Stylus C680, useless under Windows for photo's. It produced excellent high quality prints under Ubuntu, but very slowly (8mins for an A6 print).