PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how do I roll back an "upgrade"?

Tom_ZeCat
June 26th, 2008, 07:17 PM
I'm seriously annoyed! I spent hours getting my monitor to work right with Ubuntu 8.04. I was stuck at 800x600 resolution and could not go higher. After much trouble shooting I fixed the problem with an NVIDIA driver. Finally, it was fixed. Now this morning Ubuntu informs me that there's an important security update that I should download. I did -- and now I'm stuck back at 800X600.

How do I roll back this update. I don't want it! I certainly wouldn't have installed it if I had known it would wreck my screen resolution yet again.

Edit:
I was able to solve the problem by uninstalling, rebooting, reinstalling, and rebooting. That's a relief. I wasn't so simple the first time I went through screen res problems.

pytheas22
June 26th, 2008, 08:13 PM
For future reference: envy (http://www.albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html) is a nice way to configure nvidia and ATI cards with minimal effort. It probably would have saved you the hours of work getting a higher resolution in the first place.

Tom_ZeCat
June 27th, 2008, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the tip. Gonna save that thing and keep it handy for when I need it.

Tom_ZeCat
June 27th, 2008, 07:03 AM
An update: Wow, am I ever glad you posted that for future reference because it turned out to be the very NEAR future. I worked on my Ubuntu machine all day, and then when the OpenOffice word processor didn't like a file I tried to open, Ubuntu got so buggy I had to force reboot. When the OS came up again, I was stuck at low res AGAIN, and my driver reinstall didn't solve it. That Envy thing fixed the prob on its first shot. I think it should be bundled as part of the next Ubuntu release. I'm going to have to write to the program author to thank him.

And, thanks again to you for giving me the heads up.

Bubba64
June 27th, 2008, 09:09 AM
I didn't see anybody mention this but you can't rollback a upgrade a fresh install is your only option, but you can save what you don't want to lose, and install it in the fresh install.