PDA

View Full Version : ZevenOS Beta 5 is ready

llelectronics
June 26th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Anyone that want to have a fully, fast and easy to use IceWM Desktop should test ZevenOS Beta 5. (known also as the former Zebuntu)
It's based on Ubuntu 'Hardy' (8.04) and tries to reimplement a BeOS kind of look.
We created a lot of own written tools like MAGI 2(a application- launcher-replacement for the desktop with an easy installation assistent) that allows older people and computer beginners to do what they want to do without standing in their way. An OneClick Installer that allows you to install whole packages with one simple click (i.e. Gamerspack with lots of Opensource Games and tools gamers need, like xfire, ts2 ...) . Gencoder and Videtis handle your video conversion and VideoCD/DVD creation. And a bunch of IceWM graphical configuration Tools (IcePanel, IceMenu, IceDesktop,IceShutdown,...) (Of course all of the tools are licensed under the GPL)
One of the Systems goal is to be fairly runnable on a Pentium 200 MHZ with 128 MB RAM so that older computers are useful again. Useful is a good point. We are using a lot of GTK and Gnome based (mainly lightweigt) applications so that the system is easy to use and fast enough. Some of them are:

Epiphany (Gecko Browsing fast as hell ;) )
Sylpheed (also known as Claws-Mail)
Quod-Libet (Music Management the easiest and fastest way)
Ristretto (Fast and Easy photoviewing)
Brasero (Super easy burning application)
Geany and Gambas 2 (for development experts and beginners)
Abiword and Gnumeric (Fast and Easy to use Office Apps)
Avidemux (Easy video editing)
Mplayer (Playback 'anything knowable')

So test out the new ZevenOS and send us your feedback. You can try it without installing, because its coming on a 688MB ISO LiveCD Image.
If you want to help our project please kontact us. (we also speak english, even if the website is not completely translated yet. Simply post in our forum :D )

And don't worry we won't go down so soon, as we are alive for more then 6 months now :P :lolflag:

-------------------------
ZevenOS - fast, easy, genious with a BeOS Touch

http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/9007/bannerex8.png (http://zevenos.com)

zachtib
June 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I'm torrenting it now, and I'll make sure to seed it for a while.

Looks interesting, I'll play with it in a VM

Albi
June 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Checking it out now. You might try a different default theme though; here are good ones (some are mine):
http://box-look.org/index.php?xcontentmode=7311&PHPSESSID=7080b879fb7a447070715d0d205418b6

Or I have enough free time for the next week to make one should you request so.

-grubby
June 27th, 2008, 12:23 AM
Isn't there Icebuntu for this?

zmjjmz
June 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
This is completely different from the looks of it.
We definitely have different goals.

cardinals_fan
June 27th, 2008, 12:35 AM
It may look a little like BeOS, but it lacks the simplicity under the hood that made BeOS great.

Lord Xeb
June 27th, 2008, 12:47 AM
Its all in germen D:

llelectronics
June 27th, 2008, 07:15 AM
The Homepage maybe in german but the LiveCD provides english and german support.
If the default startmenu is in german simply run Icemenu from a terminal or with SUPER+Space

@Albi:
We include a lot of IceWM Themes. Your themes are interesting I think we will include some of them.
We won't change the default theme for now, as we try to reassemble the look of BeOS (ZETA).

@cardinals_fan: Yeah thats true but in contrast to BeOS we have a much wider Hardware support. (due to the Linux Kernel)
We are trying to put the speed and easiness of BeOS "on top" ;)

@zmjjmz:
Yes thats true we have a different approach somehow. And we are more focussing on Hardware from Pentium 200 with 128MB RAM and upwards. I think Icebuntu works or is intend to work also on slower PCs. And then of course our focus on a BeOS Touch of the Desktop and your "Ubuntu way".
But it would be nice though to collaborate on some things. :)
Your IRC Channel is somehow empty and the new forum also. Is your project still alive ?

zmjjmz
June 27th, 2008, 12:55 PM
It's alive, but so small you can barely detect that.

llelectronics
August 14th, 2008, 12:10 AM
ZevenOS Beta 6 Update is ready for Beta 5 with a lot of new features and some changes (see list below). Enjoy :)

Changelog:

– Magi 1 Bugfixes and BeFS Mounter added
– Magi 2 new design plus new Icons
– Magi 2 new Settingsmanagement
– Magi 2 new Info PopUps
– yavtd added
– deskbar added (a BeOS Deskbar Clone)
– zeebar added (Dock starter)
– gamer-bar added (Gamer-Quicklaunch Bar)
– encode added(graphical Encoder App)
– sawfish as standard window manager (BeOS like Theming)
– xfdesktop as standard desktop (easier Interaction plus Drag and Drop)
– gscrot added as standard Screenshot app (Thx to Romario and the Dev.-Team at ubuntuusers.de)
– About Fenster updated (better BeOS Look like interface)
– new Mplayer Skin added
– new GTK-Theme (Clearlooks-BeOS)

You can find the Download of 22 MB at http://www.zevenos.com

cardinals_fan
August 14th, 2008, 12:29 AM
This project looks interesting, but why is the iso so big? 600+ MB implies bloat (to me).

Kingsley
August 14th, 2008, 01:22 AM
Its all in germen D:
That's a feature!

mips
August 14th, 2008, 11:07 AM
This project looks interesting, but why is the iso so big? 600+ MB implies bloat (to me).

Thats what I thought as well.

Canis familiaris
August 14th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Thats what I thought as well.

Maybe more custom software?

llelectronics
August 30th, 2008, 10:13 PM
We included a lot of custom tools aswell as gambas2 for development. Thats one reason why it is so big.
Btw.
Beta 6 Update is out.
Brings a lot of improvements aswell as a switch to better looking sawfish window manager.
We also included the well known Deskbar (from BeOS) and improvements and a better looking Magi 2.

Here the changelog:

– Magi 1 Bugfixes and BeFS Mounter added
– Magi 2 new design plus new Icons
– Magi 2 new Settingsmanagement
– Magi 2 new Info PopUps
– yavtd added
– deskbar added (a BeOS Deskbar Clone)
– zeebar added (Dock starter)
– gamer-bar added (Gamer-Quicklaunch Bar)
– encode added(graphical Encoder App)
– sawfish as standard window manager (BeOS like Theming)
– xfdesktop as standard desktop (easier Interaction plus Drag and Drop)
– gscrot added as standard Screenshot app (Thx to Romario and the Dev.-Team at ubuntuusers.de)
– About Fenster updated (better BeOS Look like interface)
– new Mplayer Skin added
– new GTK-Theme (Clearlooks-BeOS)

Screenshots and Download can be found under :

http://www.zevenos.com