PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Wireless works for WPA but not WEP

Sydius
June 26th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I can connect to WPA networks just fine using:

Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection (rev 02)

But, for some reason, no matter what I try, it doesn't work for WEP. My coworker is running the same version of Ubuntu, and we copied the settings exactly, but I still can't connect (and he can). Meanwhile, at home, I can connect just fine to my WPA network, as I can to other WPA networks I've found.

jualin
June 26th, 2008, 06:32 PM
What kind of encryption are you trying to connect to WEP 64 or WEP 128?

Sydius
June 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
WEP 64, with a hex key

jualin
June 26th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Someone suggested this on the web https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-backports-modules-2.6.24/+bug/185470/comments/65 Check out the link if changing from WEP 64 to WEP 128 doesn't fix your issue.

Sydius
June 26th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot switch the network to 128-bit, since it is a large company network and I don't have permission, unless that's not what you meant.

As for the trick on that page, I just tried it (I don't understand what it did, so I just followed the directions exactly), and it didn't fix the problem.

When I try to select the network in the upper-right thing, it will switch to the icon of two gray circles, as if it were connecting, but they never blink green like they do when a connection is working--they stay gray forever, and it eventually (after a very long time) asks me for the password again.

jualin
June 26th, 2008, 07:29 PM
No what I meant was to switch the way that your computer connects to the network WEP 64 to WEP 128 not the changing the Router's options.
Just a shot in the dark , there is also something called MAC Address Filter in most routers which basically doesn't let anybody connect to the network if they don't have a MAC Address from a list. So maybe your company has not added you to their MAC Address list.
Also something that you can do is to convert your Wireless Network in your house to WEP and try to connect to it.

Sydius
June 26th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Alright, I'll try changing to WEP when I get home, and see if that makes any difference. As for the 128 idea, there's only the option for 128/64, and I suppose it chooses which of the two you mean by the length of the key you provide. I'll also verify that the company doesn't use mac address filtering (I don't think they do).

jualin
June 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Ok then try that and tell me how it goes.

Sydius
July 1st, 2008, 10:32 PM
I went home and switched my wireless router from WPA to WEP, and my work laptop could no longer connect under Ubuntu. I also verified that my workplace does not check MAC addresses.

The same laptop works fine when booted into Windows at work--it can connect to the WEP network.

Also, after following the previous steps on the other site, my eth0 seems to have disappeared, though maybe I just don't know what I'm doing (I haven't done anything except the measures listed in this thread, though).

hamster_billy
July 1st, 2008, 10:42 PM
I couldn't use WEP on my wireless card (never tried WPA) but installed the drivers from here and now it works fine:
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

The way mine behaved beforehand was as described, with the grey circles appearing to try to connect, but not getting any further than the password prompt. Something it also did, which was solved with these drivers, was that every network appeared as 100% reception.

If this works for you, bear in mind that every time you upgrade your kernel you'll have to reinstall the drivers, so you should keep the source code on your machine. I reckon there'll be a way round this, but I don't know what it is.

jualin
July 1st, 2008, 10:54 PM
I have found on launchpad a bug related to your car and different solutions which solved the problem for some people. Maybe you should try some of those solutions or ask the question there since they are working on getting the card working on Ubuntu 8.04. From what I read 8.04 is the only version that is experiencing this issue. Some people claim that 7.10 doesn't have that problem. This is the link (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-backports-modules-2.6.24/+bug/185470). Hope this helps!

Sydius
July 1st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Before I go back to getting my WEP to work, I think I should get the wired connection to work again. Is there any way to undo the instructions found here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-backports-modules-2.6.24/+bug/185470/comments/65

I followed them, and I might be able to figure out how to undo them myself, but I fear messing things up even more since I don't understand them.

jualin
July 1st, 2008, 11:06 PM
1. sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
2. create a file named iwl3945 in /etc/modprobe.d
3. in that file enter the following entries
alias wlan0 iwl3945
options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1
4. sudo modprobe iwl3945
5. sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
I think that editing the file again and deleting the "options iwl3945 disable_hw_scan=1" line should do the trick. Maybe someone else can confirm this. You will have to run
modprobe iwl3945 again, after you do the changes.

Sydius
July 1st, 2008, 11:22 PM
It looks like that made my eth0 come back, thanks. Now, I'll see about the wireless again.

jualin
July 1st, 2008, 11:23 PM
You are welcome, try what hamster_billy suggested it may work for you.

Sydius
July 1st, 2008, 11:45 PM
Alright, I can confirm that installing the drivers suggested did indeed fix my problem. Thanks guys!

hamster_billy
July 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Glad to know it. :-)

jualin
July 2nd, 2008, 04:07 AM
Glad to know it too. It was hamster_billy's solution right? I will make a comment on the launchpad page with hamster's solution. Thank you dude!

Sydius
July 2nd, 2008, 06:01 PM
Glad to know it too. It was hamster_billy's solution right? I will make a comment on the launchpad page with hamster's solution. Thank you dude!

Yes, it was hamster_billy's solution. The solution also worked for another person (whom I redirected here) over on the Absolute Beginner's forum.

jualin
July 2nd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Yes, it was hamster_billy's solution. The solution also worked for another person (whom I redirected here) over on the Absolute Beginner's forum.

Nice one buddy, giving back to the community already, We are proud of you!:)

hamster_billy
July 2nd, 2008, 11:12 PM
:-) Spread the word! I found out about it from this forum some while ago.