PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unable to connect to FTP running inside VirtualBox

junkam
June 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I have set up an Ubuntu machine running inside VirtualBox. I also setup an FTP server running on the virtual machine using GPROFTPD. In order to connect to the FTP server I configured NAT port forwarding from the host machine (port 2121) to the virtual machine (port 21).

However I can not connect from the host machine via FTP to the virtual machine. When I connect I'm able to login to the virtual machine's FTP but then the FTP client enters passive mode tries to LIST and gets connection timeout.

I'm guessing the problem has someting to do with the passive mode ports, but I don't know what I need to do to configure them correctly.

Please help

flytripper
June 27th, 2008, 11:53 PM
me too .. i was trying to connect to media centre via my 360 to no avail....i think i need to know what to bind the network card to..trouble is i dont :S

junkam
July 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
Until a solution is found I just use Active mode in the client which works so far. However I would like to know how to set it up to work with passive mode

turezky
September 8th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Hmm, wierd, active mode didn't work for me :(

friksaw
October 3rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
I was facing the same problem (though with a Puppy Linux guest and PureFtpd server). Connecting to the ftp server worked, but opening data connection to list files didn't. I received
500 I won't open a connection to 127.0.0.1 (only to 10.0.2.2)

My workaround, using FileZilla, is to use Active Mode and make the following Settings:

http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8438/testvs4.png

Where 10.0.2.2 is the guest's gateway address.

And just to be clear, that was done after setting up port forwarding as explained in the VirtualBox manual.