PDA

View Full Version : Berlin Airlift started 60 years ago

NilsHG
June 26th, 2008, 02:23 PM
June 26 in 1948 is the day the Western Allies started the Berlin Airlift in order to supply West Berlin which had been sealed off by the Soviet Union.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_Blockade

The Berlin Airlift was a tremendous effort and made former enemies to friends. As a german citizen I do understand the meaning of this day and want to remind everyone about this historic event. Thank you! :guitar:

karellen
June 26th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I know (because I study history and international relations); it was one of the starting points of the Cold War

Dixon Bainbridge
June 26th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Or as it really was, Cold Peace. Despite all the propaganda, there was never any likely hood of there ever being a war.

Fear is a wonderful suppression tool.

karellen
June 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Or as it really was, Cold Peace. Despite all the propaganda, there was never any likely hood of there ever being a war.

one big + from me. maybe the nuclear weapons did something good after all: created so much fear that nobody had the courage to actually use them

acelin
June 26th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I know (because I study history and international relations); it was one of the starting points of the Cold War

Shows how much you know. This is one of the warmer points of the "Cold War" which had its roots in the mid 40's. The Cold War began when the war in Europe ended.

NilsHG
June 26th, 2008, 10:02 PM
thats not what i had in mind when i created the thread, but anyway. at least some response :D

karellen
June 26th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Shows how much you know. This is one of the warmer points of the "Cold War" which had its roots in the mid 40's. The Cold War began when the war in Europe ended.

whatever you say dude. you believe what you want and I do the same. I'm not in the mood to argue

acelin
June 26th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Belief is not fact.

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9024721/Cold-War

Term was first used in 1947, and most historians point to the formation of the UN as the beginning of the Cold War.

bsharp
June 26th, 2008, 10:50 PM

Perhaps you've never heard of the Cuban Missle Crisis?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuban_Missle_Crisis#Aftermath

In early 1992 it was confirmed that key Soviet forces in Cuba had, by the time the crisis broke, received tactical nuclear warheads for their artillery rockets and IL-28 bombers,[30] though General Anatoly Gribkov, part of the Soviet staff responsible for the operation, stated that the local Soviet commander, General Issa Pliyev, had predelegated authority to use them if the U.S. had mounted a full-scale invasion of Cuba. Gribkov misspoke: the Kremlin's authorization remained unsigned and undelivered.[citation needed] (Other accounts show that Pliyev was given permission to use tactical nuclear warheads but only in the most extreme case of an U.S. invasion during which contact with Moscow is lost. However when U.S. forces seemed to be readying for an attack (after the U-2 photos, but before Kennedy's television address), Khrushchev rescinded his earlier permission for Pliyev to use the tactical nuclear weapons, even under the most extreme conditions.)

Castro has stated that he knew during the crisis that the warheads had indeed reached Cuba, and that he had recommended their use, despite being sure that Cuba would be completely destroyed should nuclear war break out.[30]

zxscooby
June 26th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Wasn't the airdrop a result of the Soviets
taking control of half of Berlin , cutting it off from the outside world , a result of THE WAR ENDING.

A remarkable humanitarian effort just the same.

acelin
June 27th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Wasn't the airdrop a result of the Soviets
taking control of half of Berlin , cutting it off from the outside world , a result of THE WAR ENDING.

A remarkable humanitarian effort just the same.

The war ended in 1945, not 1948.