PDA

View Full Version : [python] find all functions in classes

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 08:04 AM
I've been trying to make something that finds all the functions in a class. I tried a for statement :

for function is class :
print function

It didn't work. Any idea how I might actually do this? I'm doing this for my IRC Bot, again, as a command that lists all the possible commands

erginemr
June 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, it was something like dir(class_name).

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Thanks! That did the trick

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Gah. That returns an ugly list including __init__ and such. I tried to do a text.replace("__init__", ""), then a text.remove("__init__"), but to no avail. I can't seem to remove __init__ and others from the list

erginemr
June 26th, 2008, 08:29 AM
You are welcome! Happy programming. :)

erginemr
June 26th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Hmm, so you are saying among the ones you want (functions), it also includes built-in fuctions such as __init__, __doc__?

If this is the case and the undesired entries are only in __*__ format, then maybe we can think of a fine sieve to eliminate these entries...

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Hmm, so you are saying among the ones you want (functions), it also includes built-in fuctions such as __init__, __doc__?

If this is the case and the undesired entries are only in __*__ format, then maybe we can think of a fine sieve to eliminate these entries...

yes, that's right.

erginemr
June 26th, 2008, 08:43 AM
Perhaps, one can find a more generic tool to remove those entries with the use of "import re" and the regex keyword "__.*__" Yet, to do it manually:

Under Python command line (or by using IDLE);

the following example command

import math
dir (math)
gives me a list with:

a = ['__doc__', '__name__', 'acos', 'asin', 'atan', 'atan2', 'ceil', 'cos', 'cosh', 'degrees', 'e', 'exp', 'fabs', 'floor', 'fmod', 'frexp', 'hypot', 'ldexp', 'log', 'log10', 'modf', 'pi', 'pow', 'radians', 'sin', 'sinh', 'sqrt', 'tan', 'tanh']

Once you get the list; using a.pop(0) twice will remove the underscored items (built-in functions) from the list. Then you can refer to the items in the list with:

for i in a:
print i

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Perhaps, one can find a more generic tool to remove those entries with the use of "import re" and the regex keyword "__.*__" Yet, to do it manually:

Under Python command line (or by using IDLE);

the following example command

import math
dir (math)
gives me a list with:

a = ['__doc__', '__name__', 'acos', 'asin', 'atan', 'atan2', 'ceil', 'cos', 'cosh', 'degrees', 'e', 'exp', 'fabs', 'floor', 'fmod', 'frexp', 'hypot', 'ldexp', 'log', 'log10', 'modf', 'pi', 'pow', 'radians', 'sin', 'sinh', 'sqrt', 'tan', 'tanh']

Once you get the list; using a.pop(0) twice will remove the underscored items (built-in functions) from the list. Then you can refer to the items in the list with:

for i in a:
print i

Didn't seem to work. I'm probably using the code wrong. This is the current code I'm using :

elif cmd == "list" :
cmds = dir(comd) + dir(opr) + dir(ownr)
cmds.pop(0)
cmds.pop(1)
for cmds in cmds :
send(cmds)

erginemr
June 26th, 2008, 08:57 AM
1. What do the following return separately:

dir(comd)
dir(opr)
dir(ownr)
and after issuing cmds = dir(comd) + dir(opr) + dir(ownr)

dir(cmds)

2. Depending on the number and whereabouts of underscored variables, you should use

cmds.pop(0)
cmds.pop(0)
twice because as soon as you pop the first item, the second item becomes the first.

3. Instead of

for cmds in cmds :
send(cmds)
you should use

for i in cmds :
send(i)

5. What is send in send(i)? Is it a user-defined function?

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Well, those respective commands return the annoying "__"*"__" in random places in the middle.

['__doc__', '__init__', '__module__', 'chuck', 'contact', 'fortune', 'ls', 'random', 'stfu', 'time', '__doc__', '__init__', '__module__', 'ban', 'deop', 'devoice', 'kick', 'oper', 'topic', 'unban', 'voice', '__doc__', '__init__', '__module__', 'join', 'nick', 'part', 'quit', 'say']

geirha
June 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
try something like

a= <the object>
methods= [x for x in dir(a) if not x.startswith('_')]

-grubby
June 26th, 2008, 09:06 AM
Well, I got it to work, but it a slightly inconvienent way, I'll try geirha's way in a minute

elif cmd == "list" :
cmds = (dir(comd), dir(opr), dir(ownr))
cmds[0].pop(0);cmds[0].pop(0);cmds[0].pop(0)
cmds[1].pop(0);cmds[1].pop(0);cmds[1].pop(0)
cmds[2].pop(0);cmds[2].pop(0);cmds[2].pop(0)
cmds = cmds[0] + cmds[1] + cmds[2]
send(cmds)

And yes, send is a user defined function

ghostdog74
June 26th, 2008, 09:19 AM
you can use types

>>> import types
>>> def f(): print "test"
>>> f()
test
>>> type(f) is types.FunctionType
True