PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] virus-scanonline_com

Costas100
June 26th, 2008, 03:36 AM
I was doing a routine search in Google (related to video capture cards) using Firefox, and all of a sudden an uninvited page appeared asking me to accept the installation of a program named Antvrsinstall.exe in my computer because a virus signature has been detected on my PC which can lead to system freezes. The message was persistent and resisted numerous attempts to delete or close, in fact I was unable to close Firefox.
The only system freeze I have experienced during more than a year use of UBUNTU was that I was unable to close this page today:

http://virus-scanonline.com/nag/2/?aid=dogma&lid=18&affid=289&n=nag&install=1

despite all my attempts. I finally had to do an UBUNTU restart to get rid of the constantly returning Firefox page with the above link.
This is very strange, I am using computers for many many years starting from the original dos to WinXP and now Ubuntu. I have never experienced such a persistent Website.
Any ideas of what is going on?
I have print screens of the Website and messages if they will help,
Thank you very much
Costas

lisati
June 26th, 2008, 03:40 AM
The thing about many "scan online" websites is that they're often designed for Windows users, not Linux.

tamoneya
June 26th, 2008, 03:40 AM
you should install "ad-block plus" and "no script". That will shut them up for good.

Costas100
June 26th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you all. I just added the "ad-block plus" from Firefox addons. I am not sure what you mean with "no script"
For now consider this matter closed, thank's.
Costas

hyper_ch
June 26th, 2008, 07:28 PM
this addon: http://noscript.net/

Costas100
June 28th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Hello hyper_ch thank you for the noscript site, I will keep it for the future. You reminded me of a statement by a well known Ancient Greek, Sokrates. He said: " I am getting old while I am been perpetually taught" in Greek: (Girasko ai didaskomenos). I am over 70 now.
Costas