PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] cannot install ><

Jaiibee
June 26th, 2008, 01:08 AM
Ok, I got sick to death of windows, to the point where I raged and installed LinuxMint nearly perfectly. Only problem was it wouldnt connect to the internet.
A friend recommended uBuntu, so i downloaded it without checking that checkbox at the bottom of the download page.
"Ok.. this should work" i told myself.
It didnt.
It got stuck on 82% for nearly 40 minutes

I read around the forums, found a thread and someone told the guy to check the checkbox at the bottom of the page before downloading.
So I did.

Ok... THIS will work.
I took the day off school dedicated to getting my computer working, then to get my assignments done. Yay......... installing.... error.

It keeps saying that the file is corrupt, or cd is corrupt. This is all during the installation of the base system.

I have nfi whats happening.. maybe someone can help a noob out here?

Yuki_Nagato
June 26th, 2008, 01:13 AM
First off, did you MD5 checksum your CD images after you downloaded them? A common problem is found in slight errors when downloading huge files.

The second common error is when burning the image to a disk. If you do not use the minimum write speed, there is a decent chance something will be written incorrectly.

If this were music or images, small discrepancies would never even be known. But a corrupted boot or HAL file is bad news. You could be using corrupt disks.

-----

Were you attempting to get Ethernet or Wireless to work with Mint? Because Mint is Ubuntu made easy and useful. So useful in fact, that I am able to use it as a "blow-up" OS at work. I run the live-CD and back data up on external hard-drives. Then remove the CD at the end of the day.

Jaiibee
June 26th, 2008, 01:19 AM
I didnt do the MD5 thingo.. i dont know how, sorry.
It did say something about MD5.

--

With my mint, I installed it and everything was perfect; i loved it.
But it would only display a dial-up modem (which i dont even have) in the networking thing.
It is an older version, but now it wont install for some reason. Im retrying now.

Basically, it wouldnt detect my cable internet connection, connected via ethernet.

---

so yeh... whats this MD5 thing?
Oh, and thanks heaps for the prompt reply! Very impressive!

EDIT: Ok, just ooted from the liveCD for ubuntu, ill try the install again but im sure itll get stuck at 82% again.

Yuki_Nagato
June 26th, 2008, 01:45 AM
The Mint team has recently released Mint 5. I got on board with Mint 4 and found no problems with the Internet.

If you are using older versions, perhaps you can check with the Synaptic Package Manager to see if there are any packages you do not have installed that pertain to Ethernet adaption.

Quick, To-The-Point MD5 Explanation (http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/198/md5-checksum-how-to/)

If you have the file on a Windows machine, you will need a special program to do this.

http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/md5sums/ - As always, be careful when downloading strange stuff.

Jaiibee
June 26th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Ok just downloaded LinuMint 5 and the MD5 matched the MD5 provided by the mirror site.

Ill just try burn it to a disk (this computer doesnt like ISOs too much).

EDIT: Im using Media Center ATM, and its the only computer I have access to that works and has a CD drive... will XP things work on it???

EDIT: iight.. I installed the Elyssa 5.0 (LinuxMint) and everything is running perfectly (be scared..).
Thanks for your help, Yuki_Nagato!