PDA

View Full Version : Calling all programming newbies and experts. (Python)

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I would like for you guys to read my FUN little ebook and tell me what you think about it. I'm a newbie at programming, so I decided to make a programming book that even I can ENJOY! =D

It's nowhere near done. Don't take everything stated in the ebook as fact.

Tell me how I can improve the book, terminology, etc etc. I'm especially looking for what people who haven't programmed before think, how it can be improved, etc.

For the project at the end, post your first attempts at python in here! And no cheating from the one's other's have posted =P

Up To Date Version: http://ultrasonicsite.fileave.com/HDIWP_v0.02.pdf

I'm not responsible for anything bad that may happen as a result of reading the ebook. x)

Also, post any spelling errors if you can, I already spotted a few.

========Change Log V0.02========
-Fixed Email
-Expanded library summery (P.5)

========Change Log V0.01========
-Changed Variables to mean Labels.
-Fixed spelling error "thinks" to "think" (P.5)
-Fixed word terminology "General User Interface" to "Graphical User Interface" (P.6)
-Toned down the childishness of it all.
-Changed "write" to "type" (P.10)
-Fixed sentence for better understanding, "5/2 is 2.5, not 2!" to "5/2 = 2.5, not 2!" (P.7)
-Added word "don't" to subtitle after "or" (P.1)

========To Do List========
-Acknowledge "print" to be a statement.
-Add info on statements.
-Add short list of important built-in functions + images for better understanding
-Add new section on memory and storage
-Add new section on bits, bytes, floats, etc
-Keep it fun

===Old Versions===
http://ultrasonicsite.fileave.com/HDIWP_v0.01.pdf -Version 0.01
http://ultrasonicsite.fileave.com/HDIWP.pdf -Template Version

Wybiral
June 25th, 2008, 10:07 PM
A minor terminology issue: I would suggest not calling a variable a "value that can change" Variables aren't "values", but rather labels, or references, to some object. If "x" is "5", and you then say "x=2", you're not changing "5" to "2", you're redefining the label "x" to reference the object "2". "x" means nothing, it's just a reference to some actual object.

Also, "print" isn't part of any library in Python right now, it's actually a statement. This is going to change in Python3.0, but for now you can't do something like "dir(print)" or anything, because it isn't a function... It's built into the language.

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks a lot!

-grubby
June 25th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm only about halfway done reading it, but GUI stands for "graphical user interface", not "General user interface"

Lster
June 25th, 2008, 10:26 PM
One thing I liked especially was how it flowed between sections very well - I think it keeps pace nicely. Sometimes though, I thought it needed a little more obvious structure - it's not a major point and I certainly liked its format generally!

GUI stands for General User Interface.

I thought that GUI stood for Graphical User Interface myself - is it a "dual" definition?

Overall: good work! :)

EDIT: nathangrubb's too quick! He spotted the GUI possible-error too. :)
EDIT 2: Ignore my stupidity on one of the points (now removed). I need some sleep! ;)

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'm only about halfway done reading it, but GUI stands for "graphical user interface", not "General user interface"
Silly mistake, even I should know that -_-

Thanks! =D

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:29 PM
One thing I liked especially was how it flowed between sections very well - I think it keeps pace nicely. Sometimes though, I thought occasionally it needed a little more obvious structure though - it's not a major point and I certainly liked its format generally!

A couple of slight typos I found were:

which should presumably be

Also:

I thought that GUI stood for Graphical User Interface myself - is it a "dual" definition?

It may be dual meaning O.O

Let me google it.

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:30 PM
What is GUI? Stands for "Graphical User Interface," and is pronounced "gooey."

Lol

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:43 PM
One thing I liked especially was how it flowed between sections very well - I think it keeps pace nicely. Sometimes though, I thought it needed a little more obvious structure - it's not a major point and I certainly liked its format generally!

EDIT 2: Ignore my stupidity on one of the points (now removed). I need some sleep! ;)

I think I added it after you told me about the "don't", you're not going crazy just yet =P

Edit: or maybe you are, it seems to make sense the way it is xP, though it is written a bit..odd

Can+~
June 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
Feels somewhat childish, mostly because of the language and images (specially the first one), is it supposed to be that way? If it is, you did well.

Nice overall, I didn't take the time to read it though.

Also, what are you using? openoffice?

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:51 PM
It is meant to be a little childish, wanted to deviate a little bit from the boring "Do this do that, don't get bored with this or you'll never be a programmer"

Perhaps it's a bit too childish? =P

I like my images as they are though, makes everything seem..simple.

I was using abiword but it didn't quite get the pages correct, Openoffice.org does way better.

Lster
June 25th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Edit: or maybe you are, it seems to make sense the way it is xP, though it is written a bit..odd

Wow, I've never seen a phrase so powerful as to make two people edit their posts! :mrgreen:

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Wow, I've never seen a phrase so powerful as to make two people edit their posts! :mrgreen:

lol ahahaha.

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I'll work on the to-do list now, keep the helpful comments coming!

AnonCat
June 25th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Feels somewhat childish, mostly because of the language and images (specially the first one), is it supposed to be that way? If it is, you did well.

Nice overall, I didn't take the time to read it though.

Also, what are you using? openoffice?

I think that "childish" aspect of the tutorial is a strength since it feels more user friendly than a lot of programming tutorials. A lot of people are intimidated when learning programming for the first time and I think this type of format could be helpful to them.

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 11:27 PM
Updated

I think that "childish" aspect of the tutorial is a strength since it feels more user friendly than a lot of programming tutorials. A lot of people are intimidated when learning programming for the first time and I think this type of format could be helpful to them.

That's exactly what I'm aiming for, I want to make it so fun it hurts =P

UltraSonicSite
June 25th, 2008, 11:54 PM
A lot has been done so far! This is turning out great! I just need me some newbies to see if it actually teaches.

Simple solution: add an ad to my signature.

Can+~
June 26th, 2008, 01:37 AM

Never said it was a bad thing :(.

UltraSonicSite
June 26th, 2008, 07:15 PM
So I'll make it more childish! =P

ankursethi
June 26th, 2008, 08:29 PM
Perfect! This is much better than the drab Python tutorial by Guido. God knows how my 14-year-old brain chugged through that when I was trying to learn Python.

By the way, if you make this into a Wiki maybe more people could collaborate.

PS : The images are very nicely done :)

cmay
June 26th, 2008, 09:20 PM
hi
am a python newbie and i have just read your projekt .
i will read the book more carefully tonight but the first impression i get
is that it looks great.

i have a projekt myselve as i write my own instruction manuals
on everything i need to learn and not only about programmering.
my project is not a programmering manual by the way.

my reason to want to program that i study psykology and languages
so i naturally want to study computer languages and i found this
link about human language analyses using python
http://www-uxsup.csx.cam.ac.uk/courses/PythonAB/

but i am not that happy whit the python manuals and the tutorials written
for peopel that wants to use it as a programmering language for programmering-needs
as they usely are the most.

i like monthy python so for that reason i found it worth to read the
official tutorial some time ago. just for the jokes in it.

so consider my reasons for spending time whit programmering
this is is something where i find that python may be usefull
and its great to have non programmers newbie tutorials
to go from when you have other reasons for diving into computer
programmering than becomming a real proffesional programmer as such

maybe others will feel the same and will like that stuff is
explained in more funny way most heavy reading aimed at schools
and educational purposes can be pretty boring.

especialy if they only need the programmering as a part of something else.

some peopel learn what they need pretty quick if its fun
to work whit and only gives the information they need to start up.

the book from what i read is pretty nice so far.
keep up the good work .

pmasiar
June 27th, 2008, 05:01 PM
It's colorful :-)

There are many tutorials for beginners, see wiki in my sig for inspiration, steel edit: steal :oops: ideas without shame (after you checked license). Your effort is valiant (and good if you have fun) but IMHO there are many tutorials as good or better as yours - it is just not easy to find them (that why I created my wiki).

Suggestions for improvement:

- For Windows, Python from ActiveState is easier to use (installer sets environment and IDLE).

- Use coding standards and best practices. Variable name should be age, never Age (that would be a class name).

nvteighen
June 27th, 2008, 05:50 PM
It's colorful :-)

There are many tutorials for beginners, see wiki in my sig for inspiration, steel ideas without shame (after you checked license). Your effort is valiant (and good if you have fun) but IMHO there are many tutorials as good or better as yours - it is just not easy to find them (that why I created my wiki).

Come on! Show me one tutorial that has a pretty cartoon python in its cover! :)... And why "steel" an idea, instead of "ironing" it? :p... (I know English is not your mother language (neither mine), but you must admit it's a funny one... Excuse me if offended).

Seriously: It seems more like an introduction to programming using Python as an excuse rather than a Python tutorial... But it looks great up to now in this fashion; keep the good work!

Wybiral
June 27th, 2008, 06:08 PM
I know English is not your mother language (neither mine), but you must admit it's a funny one... Excuse me if offended

Funnier than "programmering"? (a few posts up)

nvteighen
June 27th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Funnier than "programmering"? (a few posts up)
A clear case of confusion with German: "programmierung" = "programming"... A quite often one... and if you start sneaking at my posts, you'll get a few similar for sure (I use some programming resources in German)... And you'll find even more short-circuits with Spanish (my mother language), like using latin cultisms like "complicated" (Spanish "complicado") more than the more English "hard" or "tough", e.g.

Ah, but there's something I learned in my Linguistics course: the Grice's cooperation principle (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_principle) regulates any (sane, normal) conversation.

UltraSonicSite
June 27th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Making a Wiki sounds like a great idea! Would you guys be interested in helping it grow?

MickSulley
November 26th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Sounds interesting from what I see here, but the link at the start does not work. Where can I see the document???????