PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] reconnecting internet once disconnected

gurveentaneja
June 25th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Hi!!!! I am new to this forum and new to linux as well. I own an HP pavillion notebook & have installed Xubuntu along with windows vista. But while operating xubuntu, whenever there is a network failure on behalf of the server of my internet service provider or the modem is switched off due to power failure, the internet does not work on restarting the modem, uuntil either i change the configuration from static ip to automatic or any other & then back to static ip or reboot the system.........I am really tired of going through this cycle considering that power failures are pretty common in my area in this part of the year..........U people will not believe but i had to do the same twice while making this post........please help.....

bluepowder7
June 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM
you are running the default pitiful Network Manager. download and install WiCD, it's quite wicked. it will replace (and uninstall) the default Network Manager - don't stop it from doing it! let it blow NM far far away. in fact, if you can, shove a twenny dolla bill into your PC to pay for it doing you such a wonderful favour.

dwhitney67
June 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Is there a reason why you must rely on a static IP? Does your ISP permit that?