PDA

View Full Version : web asset manager

tikal26
June 25th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I don't know if this is the right place ot post this, but I am looking for a good and open source web asset manager preferably a one that can handle pictures and multimedia. I used to use RAM but it seems to be dead.

madjr
June 26th, 2008, 12:48 AM
hmm :confused:

tikal26
June 26th, 2008, 04:48 AM
An asset manager- consists of tasks and decisions surrounding ingesting, annotating, cataloguing, storage and retrieval of digital assets, such as digital photographs, animations, videos and music. Digital asset management systems are computer software and/or hardware systems that aid in the process of digital asset management

Imagine that you have a group working on a project that consists of files, pictures and videos it is a place where everyone can add files, notes, pic etc. that way you don;t end up with a gazillion e-mails. I use it to keep track of my school projects and having acces to everything in one place, but I am having a problem finding an open source one.

michaelzap
June 26th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I don't particularly like it (because I'm not a big fan of wikis from the perspective of a contributor), but MediaWiki seems to work well for some folks.

I was recently looking into Knowledge Tree, which from what I remember is not open source and has a lot of specific server requirements (but still looked like a very nice package to me, although not specifically designed for media files).

There are a number of open source web document management systems if you think that sort of thing could work for what you need to do.

tikal26
June 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
knowledge tree has a open source edition I'll try it and let you know.

michaelzap
June 27th, 2008, 02:25 AM
knowledge tree has a open source edition I'll try it and let you know.

There are also a number of other document management programs if that sort of software would work for you, such as:

http://www.openkm.com/
http://www.epiware.com/
etc.

mrrsx2006
June 27th, 2008, 02:53 AM
For a sec when you set web asset manager I thought you were looking for a person who could manage your sites :) Guess I have a lot to learn on this forum!