PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How to automount internal harddrives on boot

philidox
June 25th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Its not a big deal but everytime I reboot my computer I have to under "Places" and select a my hard drive in order to mount them on my desktop. How to I enable this automatically so I can don't have to do that anymore.

ilrudie
June 25th, 2008, 06:53 PM
Its not a big deal but everytime I reboot my computer I have to under "Places" and select a my hard drive in order to mount them on my desktop. How to I enable this automatically so I can don't have to do that anymore.
The file that controls static volumes is /etc/fstab. Locate the line for the drive and see if it has a noauto option. It also may be commented out (lines beginning with # are comments) If it does not appear in the file you will need to create an entry for it. If you don't know how post back and I can help you create the proper entry.

philidox
June 25th, 2008, 06:58 PM
The file that controls static volumes is /etc/fstab. Locate the line for the drive and see if it has a noauto option. It also may be commented out (lines beginning with # are comments) If it does not appear in the file you will need to create an entry for it. If you don't know how post back and I can help you create the proper entry.

I don't mind doing it the with cli but isnt there a gui program that will do it for me? Here is my fstab output

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/host/ubuntu/disks/root.disk / ext3 loop,errors=remount-ro 0 1
/host/ubuntu/disks/boot /boot none bind 0 0
/host/ubuntu/disks/swap.disk none swap loop,sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

ilrudie
June 25th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Looks like its not in the fstab file. You will need to add it. In order to add it you will need to know the block device (/dev/<something>), the filesystem type (probably ntfs or fat32 if its a windows disk or ext3 if its a GNU/Linux disk) and a path to where you want it (/media/<drive_name> if you want it to show up on your desktop).

To find the block device run a df -kh after mounting it from places. It will show you all mounted filesystems, their usage and mount point. Post the line that contains the disk you want to mount.

earthmeLon
June 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Hey! This should be easy to fix, and you'll learn a little about how mounting works :D

Once you've started the computer and you've manually mounted your drive, open a terminal and run:

mount

This will display all of your currently mounted drives. For example:

/dev/sdb1 on /media/Boomer type fuseblk

This shows you what the drive is, and where it is currently being mounted to. Fuseblk and ntfs/ntfs-3g are all NTFS partiton types, which is what your partition probably is if it was created with Windows. Now, open your /etc/fstab and append the following entry:

To Open

gksudo gedit /etc/fstab

What to add

/dev/sdb1 /media/Erebus2 ntfs-3g rw,user,auto 0 0

Save the file and on next boot, it should be all good :D

Note:
* You need to change ntfs-3g to whatever partition type you are mounting :D

* This will mount the drive so that any user has access to it (unless you set permissions otherwise)

the lush
June 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Hi, these instructions are pretty clear, however my insecurity is also pretty intense. In response to the mount query I find my drive:

/dev/sda2 on /media/Drivename type fuseblk (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4096)

I therefore assume that in the fstab thing I need to add

/dev/sda2 on /media/Drivename fuseblk rw,auto,nosuid,nodev,noatime,allow_other,blksize=4 096

I am using 8.04.

Thanks in advance for any help with this.