PDA

View Full Version : Can n00bs use a Virtual Private Server?

Kernel Sanders
June 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I was wondering if someone more knowledgeable than me can help with this?

I currently have shared hosting, and it sucks as my forum is too busy. So I need a VPS really.

The only problem is that i'm a n00b :(

I can manage my shared hosting easily via FTP, but that's about the extent of my knowledge :(

Can I confidently upgrade to a VPS do you think? Or is there some management that i'm not aware of that will lead me to be out of my depth quickly?

Thanks for any and all help! :)

FFighter
June 25th, 2008, 07:42 PM
It is not a big deal, really. Know your IP(s) and you will be fine :D. When using VPS, you will mostly be accessing via SSH. Of course, you can setup a FTP server and access specific folders through it, or even use scp. I started using VPS when I started programming in Rails. Deploying using Capistrano is sublime, so I kinda left FTP in the ashes and rarely use it anymore (only for very specific cases).

Don't be afraid to go VPS. You will only have more control and power.

The only thing you should be aware is that you'll never want to use shared hosts again.

VPSLink is a nice company. If you screw up your VPS, you can re-install an OS image in a couple of seconds and some of them even have pre-configured componentes such as web server and other things.

Come back when you have more specific questions ;)

Kernel Sanders
June 25th, 2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks friend! :KS