PDA

View Full Version : My laptop isnt booting off cds anymore!

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 04:27 PM
recently I have noticed that most of the OSs I burn to cds/dvds wont boot on my computer when they did fine from before. I know that these have been burnt properly since I tried them on another computer and it worked fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

fatality_uk
June 25th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Ubuntu?
Which version?
All patches applied?
Which kernel you using?

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Ubuntu?
Which version?
All patches applied?
Which kernel you using?
oh no, I am not using ubuntu, I am using arch with the latest kernel, but wha would that have to do with it???

fatality_uk
June 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
oh no, I am not using ubuntu, I am using arch with the latest kernel, but wha would that have to do with it???

A lot. If you were running 7.10 and recently upgraded to 8.04, there's a few bugs that are currently floating about or you may have found another. Again, bugs can crop up between kernel updates.

FuturePilot
June 25th, 2008, 04:44 PM
I don't think it matters what OS you are running on your hard drive since we are talking about booting a CD. That has nothing to do with what OS you have on the hard drive.

It could be that the drive has gone bad. I know my old laptop won't read DVDs anymore. It reads CDs ok but it usually take a good slam of the CD drive before it reads it correctly. :|

Icehuck
June 25th, 2008, 04:48 PM
A lot. If you were running 7.10 and recently upgraded to 8.04, there's a few bugs that are currently floating about or you may have found another. Again, bugs can crop up between kernel updates.

I'm confused how this is an Ubuntu issue? Booting from CD isn't handled by the OS on the hard drive(hence you can boot without a hard drive installed). The CD boots on other laptops fine, not his laptop. This suggests the issue is in the bios since I'm guessing the CD-ROM uses media just fine.

smartboyathome
June 25th, 2008, 05:35 PM
I had a similar problem, think it was with the bios. I got a new laptop since and got rid of my old one.

Lostincyberspace
June 25th, 2008, 05:42 PM
Check your boot order in the bios that is most likely your problem.

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2008, 05:44 PM
recently I have noticed that most of the OSs I burn to cds/dvds wont boot on my computer when they did fine from before. I know that these have been burnt properly since I tried them on another computer and it worked fine. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yes I had that, the cdrom/dvd drive was at fault.

mips
June 25th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Two possible reasons:

1. Boot order in BIOS
2. Drive is faulty

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 10:49 PM
the boot order is fine. The OSs that wont boot (they used to boot fine) from the cds so far are FreeBSD and Slackware. I tried both on other computer and it works fine.
PS. There is a high chance that both the BIOS and optical drive are faulty, this laptop is falling apart even though its pretty new...

sharkinfested
June 25th, 2008, 10:53 PM
the boot order is fine. The OSs that wont boot (they used to boot fine) from the cds so far are FreeBSD and Slackware. I tried both on other computer and it works fine.
PS. There is a high chance that both the BIOS and optical drive are faulty, this laptop is falling apart even though its pretty new...

YIKES! What's the laptop?

regomodo
June 25th, 2008, 11:03 PM
`

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 11:12 PM
it is a hp pavillion dv6395ea, my dad has a similar model and it has the same + more problems...

LookTJ
June 25th, 2008, 11:24 PM
CD drive must be old and died..just buy a new one if you have the money. My old ibm thinkpad has the same problem(which I still have). But didn't bother buying a new cd drive since the model was a 2650(year 2002)