PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I make my connection start automatically on boot?

Kakabonae
June 25th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Hello,
Every time I turn on my computer the first thing I do is open Firefox. I've done this for a long time, and once I started using Ubuntu (as opposed to Windows Vista which I was using until just a few days ago) I open Firefox to an error page saying I'm not connected to the internet. Then I remember that I have to go and connect to my wireless network manually. I have to do this every time I start my laptop (a HP Pavillion dv6000), and it's quite annoying.
Is there a way to configure my wireless to connect every time I boot?
Other details you should know is that my wireless network is one where the name will not show up on the list of networks available, and instead I have to type in the name of the network to get it to connect. It also has a hexidecimal password, which I of course know.
Anyone had experience with something like this before? I really like Ubuntu from my first few days of using it, but this is going to be a big problem with my sanity if I don't fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

vascotia
June 25th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Hello,
Every time I turn on my computer the first thing I do is open Firefox. I've done this for a long time, and once I started using Ubuntu (as opposed to Windows Vista which I was using until just a few days ago) I open Firefox to an error page saying I'm not connected to the internet. Then I remember that I have to go and connect to my wireless network manually. I have to do this every time I start my laptop (a HP Pavillion dv6000), and it's quite annoying.
Is there a way to configure my wireless to connect every time I boot?
Other details you should know is that my wireless network is one where the name will not show up on the list of networks available, and instead I have to type in the name of the network to get it to connect. It also has a hexidecimal password, which I of course know.
Anyone had experience with something like this before? I really like Ubuntu from my first few days of using it, but this is going to be a big problem with my sanity if I don't fix it.

Thanks in advance for any help given!

Making it auto connect on boot is explained here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

Kakabonae
June 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Making it auto connect on boot is explained here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=684495

From the page you linked, the 'prerequisites' section: "2. The ESSID of your router must be broadcasted and not hidden"

As I explained in my above post, my wireless network doesn't show up on the list of available networks and I have to type in the name manually because its ESSID is hidden, not broadcasted...Is there any way to do it like that?

EDIT: Nevermind what I just said, I see know that you meant the part near the bottom of the post. Thanks very much for that, I've done it all and although I haven't tested it yet I'm assuming it will work. Thanks again.