PDA

View Full Version : [other] Ubuntu MID Edition on GPS

jualin
June 25th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Hi, I was amazed by the new introduction of Ubuntu MID Edition, good job guys!. Now I have one question, I have a Magellan Road Mate 1200 GPS which uses a USB Connection. When connected to Ubuntu it is mounted as a Removable Media, therefore it works like a Flash Drive. My question is can I install Ubuntu MID Edition on this device?, and second, Would the GPS still work after the install?.
I am down for experimenting but I do not want to make my unit unusable. Suggestions are welcome. Thank you in advance!

*edit* Something I forgot to mention is that this device comes with Windows CE 5.0 installed and by doing different hacks it is possible to install several applications to it.

|{urse
June 26th, 2008, 11:00 PM
No idea man.. I have a Magellan Maestro 3200 and would LOVE to know as well. I'll start researching. Hopefully we'll get some answers ^^

jualin
June 26th, 2008, 11:40 PM
Yea, it would be a great thing to put Ubuntu on my GPS, wow that would be a dream come true. I know there is Linux on Cellphones and in some car computer system but on the GPS, wow that will just be great!.
I have heard that you can install Windows CE apps to the Maestro (arghh) but at least you can customize it with a media player and picture viewer.

|{urse
June 28th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Anyone? BumP!

jualin
July 13th, 2008, 04:35 PM
bump ...

jualin
August 15th, 2008, 03:45 AM
Suggestions are still welcome ...