PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can't create program icons on XUbuntu Desktop

BeauBobbitt
June 25th, 2008, 01:32 PM
Since moving to linux, I have used UBUNTU on desktop - all is better than well. Just loaded XUBUNTU on an older desktop and all went well. However, I want to have some program icons (e.g., Deluge) on the desktop. In UBUNTU I just go to Applications and right click to put a copy on the desktop as an icon. In my XUBUNTU, the right click yields the same drop down as the left button and no option to send an icon to desktop. Both distros are Hardy.

Thanks in Advance.

Revhead
June 25th, 2008, 02:11 PM
Here I am as fresh as a daisy and already giving advice.
If you navigate in the file system to the folders "usr" then "bin" using your file manager you'll find that's where it hides the programs.
Pick one with a colored icon (the executables I'm guessing), right click it and then select Desktop (create link).
Bingo you should have a shortcut on your desktop.
Me?
I'm just trying to find my lost apps launcher and have somehow managed to copy a folder with a few gigs in it from my NTFS drive to the desktop instead of making a shortcut.
Now it's run out of room and won't let me delete it.
Not ready to ditch Vista just yet and am dual booting.
It's a steep learning curve . . .

BeauBobbitt
June 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
PERFECT - Thanks.

Built my first computer in 1977. Have been fighting WIN since 3.1. Really enjoying the world of linux - there is steep curve though.

One more: Can you remove those arrows on the shortcuts (links) like you can in Windows using TWEAK-UI?

Revhead
June 25th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sorry don't know the answer to that one yet but yeah I remember WFW 3.1 which came with my P90 and 16Mb of ram (or was it 8Mbs?).