PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use netbeans?

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 11:25 AM
Hi I recently discovered the netbeans ide and was wondering if anyone here has tried it. It seems nice but a bit to deticated to developing java. I install the jvi plugin which lets you use vi commands in it :P. I am still struggling to get python and LaTeX support in it.

NovaAesa
June 25th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I have heard from some Windows users that it is quite good. You have inspired me to download it and see if they are right.

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 12:44 PM
my current IDE is geany but I have found it to have a few bugs that get pretty annoying so I have been looking for an alternative. I only know python now so netbeans wont be useful to me unless I can use python and LaTeX.

Silpheed2K
June 25th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I use code::blocks for my C++ coding cause I feel it's the best environment for that type of programming.
Never used netbeans but I did try eclipse. Didn't like eclipse much.
Code::Blocks is what I prefer..

NovaAesa
June 25th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I haven't used and IDEs really except for the one that came with VB6 ="(
But now the coding at uni is getting more complex, so I'm trying to work out which one is best as well.

Trail
June 25th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I hate it. I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it. I mean, I REALLY HATE it. Kill it with fire. Please.

Anything else but netbeans. Seriously.

NovaAesa
June 25th, 2008, 02:51 PM
What are the bad things about it?

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
i think he doesnt like it b/c it is "slow" i will admit that it is bloated.

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 03:06 PM
so far what is really annoying me is that I am having lots of trouble installing support for LaTeX and Python, other than that it is pretty nice even though havent been able to really try it out.

FFighter
June 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Netbeans is awful... look at the name, Netbeans?? what were they thinking ? Eclipse ftw.

Delever
June 25th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I use it for php. It is slow, and it's "help" when typing is counter-intuitive. I need good syntax highlighting which could handle both php and html (Net beans does that ok), correct indenting (so editor would help instead of misalign). I don't care about auto suggestions, if all they can suggest is code I already see.

Maybe someone knows better alternative to NetBeans for me?

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 03:15 PM
i have never used eclipse, in what ways, besides the name, is it superior to netbeans?

MONODA
June 25th, 2008, 03:17 PM
This seems like it should belong in the programming subforum...

Delever
June 25th, 2008, 03:19 PM
I could not manage to get eclipse working with php extension in time, so I gave up on it :/

PetePete
June 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
+1 for eclipse

grossaffe
June 25th, 2008, 04:26 PM
netbeans is the java program suggested for use by my University's Computer Science class.

kaspar_silas
June 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
If you recently switched from windows like me, and only really used VS C++ previously, then NetBeans with the c++ option seems fine.

Given the comments above I may well end up changing to something else (possibly ellipse) but for now it's seems quite friendly

lyceum
June 27th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I was taking a Java class over the summer, but dropped the class, so I only played with it for a month. I have to say that I really liked it. I only used it for learning Java and only used it on Ubuntu and I am a web designer, so I am not a heavy coder. I normally use Bluefish for everything, Dreamweaver or Aptana when working on a Windows PC. So take my input for what it is worth, but I liked it.

-edit/update-

I got a new job a few weeks ago (right when I posted this) working on a Rail/Ruby website and I have been using Netbeans. It does a great job. Every now and then when I try to do something where a window will pop up, like create new or save, the box comes up blank. Other than that, it has been great. I can see everything on the left side while working on the right. I do not have the short cuts down yet, but it is a good program. I am still very happy with it.

george kaplan
July 17th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I hate it. I-hate-it-I-hate-it-I-hate-it. I mean, I REALLY HATE it. Kill it with fire. Please.

Anything else but netbeans. Seriously.

I have to say, I agree with you and FFighter 110%!!!!

NetBeans is a Horrible monster. Not only does it move in slow motion, but it's also ridiculously-difficult to install. I've installed it every way possible and still can't get the 'standard and freeform' templates to show up in the File --> New Project dialogue box....

Googlize the situation and you find out quickly NetBeans doesn't even acknowledge this problem and a solution is virtually impossible to find once you're cursed with this problem.

I agree. Kill NetBean. Burn it.

.... take the above with a grain of salt. I'm just one potential user that never got past the fifteen attempts and five different ways to install this monster in the first place... :lol:

Off to install Eclipse now.... :)

Tomosaur
July 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I use Netbeans quite a lot, and I like it. Yes it's a bit slow, but the latest version is much better than it used to be, and <SHOCK HORROR!> it now actually looks quite nice rather than the horrible default Swing interface it used to have.

It's got a good Java GUI editor, which is primarily what I use it for since I really cannot be bothered coding every GUI by hand.

All in all I'd say it's a good IDE. Eclipse is 'more universal' in my opinion, but for Java development at least, it's one of the - if not THE - best.

wrtpeeps
July 17th, 2008, 01:46 PM
netbeans is great

D-EJ915
July 18th, 2008, 06:25 AM
netbeans is the java program suggested for use by my University's Computer Science class.
Thank the lord they don't make you use other things (like jgrasp) which are horrid. I used Eclipse when I did Java programming a few years ago.

kpkeerthi
July 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
+1 for eclipse. I have been using it at work for 5 years now (for Java/J2EE development)

For Python, you may want to check out http://pydev.sourceforge.net/

StOoZ
July 18th, 2008, 08:44 AM
I use only netbeans , and to be frankly , I really like it.