PDA

View Full Version : Flash Drive Broken In Two

Scientia
June 25th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Hey, everybody out there, i know this is kinda nuts, and don't even know whether it should be on the forum..
In short, this Kingston DataTraveler Flash Drive of mine snapped in two, and i was wondering if there was an easy way to repair it myself, or recover the data inside, as the memory chip's still intact, cos the data is quite important.
Thanks a Bunch :)

Scientia
June 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM
The drive is 2gb. What i'm worrying about is the finer wiring on the chip.
Thanks and sorry for time wasted.

Tomatz
June 25th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Have a google as there are many data recovery companys. If there is no damage to the NAND chip, it should be fully recoverable.

It might cost a bit though ;)

Scientia
June 25th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Have a google as there are many data recovery companys. If there is no damage to the NAND chip, it should be fully recoverable.

It might cost a bit though ;)

lol Thats why i'm lookin for an easy way to do it myself..

Tomatz
June 25th, 2008, 10:22 AM
lol Thats why i'm lookin for an easy way to do it myself..

Unless you are real good with a soldering iron, i wouldn't bother ;)

:lolflag:

Scientia
June 25th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Yup, its real minute stuff.. But i'm not bad wielding a soldering iron.. and rather than let it go i might as well give it a go.. Which is why i need some good help on this one, how, where and feasibility, so on.

NovaAesa
June 25th, 2008, 10:34 AM
You would have to have a very steady hand to get it fixed yourself. If the data is really important, I wouldn't risk it and just get someone professional to do it. Otherwise you might accidentally damage the chip with solder.

Tomatz
June 25th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Yup, its real minute stuff.. But i'm not bad wielding a soldering iron.. and rather than let it go i might as well give it a go.. Which is why i need some good help on this one, how, where and feasibility, so on.

Personally i don't think it would be possible but it would be great if you proved me wrong. ;)

If you did i suggest you get a very finely tipped soldering iron, the thinnest soldering wire possible and some flux to (finely) dab on to where you are soldering so the solder runs onto the contacts. Strip some multi-core cable (speaker cable?) and connect the contacts with the filaments of wire. Make sure you clamp the piece securely before you solder.

Scientia
June 25th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Yeap, thanks. Any other suggestions/tips??

Tomatz
June 25th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Don't snap your next flash drive...

fatality_uk
June 25th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Don't snap your next flash drive...

Harsh :D

Just bear in mind as well, the casing of these things might be flexile, but the chips certainly arn't. Any undue stress on the chip and it may have a crack rendering it useless anyway.

I would, as suggested, at least let a DR company look at it. They may well deliver bad news or give you a flat rate fee. Many companies can "lift" the chips and drop the data onto a drive/dvd for you and not that expensive.

Scientia
June 25th, 2008, 04:37 PM
Lol i'll try not to..

fatality_uk
June 25th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Check these links out. As you see, simple jobs may not be that expensive:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=data+recovery+costs&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-GB:unofficial&client=firefox-a

Most of these guys will at least give you a quote to determine if its worth it.

red_Marvin
June 25th, 2008, 07:36 PM
The memory chip seems ok, so I suggest getting another flash drive of the same type and put the old chip[s] (only the memory chips, not the controller) on the new one.

For doing this yourself, you should have experience with smd and have access to the right tools (but then you'd know exactly what to do already, so I'd advise against that, since you're posting here).

You could also, leave the replacement to a electronics repair shop.
Also if there's a university with an electronic department there might be a student "club" or similar that might be able to help you.

Scientia
June 26th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Hey thanks, thats nice, i know of some student club members who might have the expertise... Is there anywhere i can get more info on what you mentioned(chips onto other drive)?
Thx :)

Tomatz
June 26th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Hey thanks, thats nice, i know of some student club members who might have the expertise... Is there anywhere i can get more info on what you mentioned(chips onto other drive)?
Thx :)

What he means is you buy exactly the same flash drive so the chip can be removed from the broken one and put onto the new one (in place of the one on the new one).

Its quite a good idea. +1 for red_marvin!