PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installation issue

bharathm
June 25th, 2008, 07:43 AM
Hi All,
I am new to linux, and want to learn it. The Ubuntu installation was smooth after which i was prompted to reboot the PC which I did and the unpacking of additional packages that were already copied to my HDD started. In the middle of this say after about 20 min there was a power failure (quiet common in India unfortunately :( ) When i boot my PC the GRUB gave me the options Windows and ubuntu. Selecting Ubuntu loading and initialization went fine only to show me a big Ubuntu wallpaper which wont allow me to do any thing. I hard reboot my PC and selected the recovery mode which gave me a command prompt with root user as the current user. I am not a linux expert to fix the problem through command prompt. Looking for a solution as i would like to learn something from problem :).

bobblehat
June 25th, 2008, 07:53 AM
I imagine that would put your system in a fairly random state so unless anyone else here suggest something better it sounds like a complete re-install of Ubuntu would be worthwhile. You should be able to boot from CD and install over the top of your existing Ubuntu installation.

I realise this won't help you learn what exactly is wrong but in this case the problem might just be too random to diagnose.

Kevbert
June 25th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I agree with boobblehat. Safest thing to do is to format the new Ubuntu partitions that you've just set up and reuse them for the re-install.

bharathm
June 25th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Thanks for your replies. I have enough time and would like to play with this for some more time :D.

One last clarification, Booting my PC in recovery mode (with out the CD) and being in a position to execute basic commands, does that mean the basic OS is installed properly.

Kevbert
June 25th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Hi. I wouldn't assume that. It's possible some drivers have not been installed or configured correctly as this mode gives you a minimal default interface for fault finding/debugging.

bharathm
June 25th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks Kevbert.