PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Got a new machine and now to install... oops?

larry19l
June 25th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Hi Folks,

Just bought a new machine with Vista (H.prem) and now to add ubuntu.... BUT !
I checked here first and saw new goodies to download so, what and all, me bein a dyed-in-wool tru-blu sware junkie (since 1978!)...
Downlded VistaBootPro (3.3) and wouldn'ch know, an error!

/.................................................. .
VistaBootPRO has detected that Vista is either not installed or is
installed on a hidden drive. You may experience minor problems using
VistaBootPRO and/or making changes to your BCD Registry
/.................................................. ..

So after reading several posts, and me a new Vista user (5 days now! ugh!) I was in a real hurry to get back into Ubuntu so's I could get back to looking for a real good "C" programmers dev.env with lotsa settable breakpoints. But this is makin me nervus! What should I do? Should I use VBP to rewrite a new BCD where it thinks it should be instead of where HP put it on this pavillion desktop ? And since I had 7.10 running ok on an AMD notebook using that good'ole GRUB, I was gonna do the same with 8.04. Least now I've got some elbow room on this machine: I'm planning on splitting 'C' drive in half, 320gig for Vista and 320 for HH. Unless you folks got a better idea...?
Yeah, I got EasyBCD too. And I forgot who, but someone here has a nifty trick with a USB flashdrive I may try later. Which may be easier to set up with GRUB. Maybe...

Next question: If wubi is not doing a repartition/format, just what exactly is it doing ? A huge 'swap' file ? And what is the performance price one pays for wubi's easy install? This machine I just got is an AMD 9600 quadcore w/5gRAM, 640gHD and I'm adding, as soon as I get the right cables, a WD 1tb eSATA and the 400gb Seagate eSATA from the notebook. So I'll have about 2 TB! between 3 drives. Oh, yeah another 200gb of WD passport usb drives, but they don't really count (USB2.0 is to slow! can't wait for 3.0). I got 5gRAM: 2,1,1,1 so I'll be lookin to sell 2 of the 1giggers and replace them with 2 2's. Seems the price of memory in pairs is a bargain.

Next question: drivers. Anyone know if there's anything for the Cannon LiDE 70 usb fb scanner? When I was running 7.10, I had to reboot into XP to use it. PitA!

Last question: Has anyone set up Parallels or VMware or MSvm on an AMD/Intel box and brought up both OS'es ? It should be doable but I don't have any info on how much muscle it would take and if there would be enough left over to be worth it. Opinions ? Thoughts ? NE1 ?

I want to get back to that compiz cube! Aero just doesn't cut it for me.
---
Larry

BTW: 2 days to some real eyecandy -> Wall.E starts playing!
PS: Don't take the kids, the jokes are not for them!
PPS: And you don't want to be explaining why YOU are laughing! :-)))