PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Username problems

solracsuii
June 25th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I installed Ubuntu Studio this evening, and i can't access the system because of some error in the username while accesing the system:

-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

any ideas m8s?

thanks

iaculallad
June 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM
That's a permission problem with your /dev/null. Try to see the permission by issuing the ls command on your terminal:

ls -l /dev/null

and should equal to:

crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 1, 3

If you got a different permission, RM your /dev/null and try to recreate it as root (sudo -i, and input your own password).

sudo -i
rm /dev/null
mknod -m 0666 /dev/null c 1 3

tamoneya
June 25th, 2008, 03:31 AM
what exactly are you trying to do at the moment. If you are attempting something in command line just precede it with sudo to gain root permissions.

solracsuii
June 25th, 2008, 03:43 AM
ok, im really new to linux, so i need u to help me step by step, the terminal will be?

iaculallad
June 25th, 2008, 03:48 AM
ok, im really new to linux, so i need u to help me step by step, the terminal will be?

Navigate to Applications->Accessories->Terminal and follow the steps i posted above.

solracsuii
June 25th, 2008, 03:54 AM
i can't get it the system, this all happens on DOS, when u start the pc black screen lol...:confused:

iaculallad
June 25th, 2008, 04:08 AM
i can't get it the system, this all happens on DOS, when u start the pc black screen lol...:confused:

Try to login using the Restore mode.

solracsuii
June 25th, 2008, 04:15 AM
same thing there :(

could it be the istallation failed?
i installed in a Partition i made in one of my hardisks.
how can i intall again because it made the linux partition swap etc already

Bubba64
June 25th, 2008, 04:30 AM
If you have internet access on another computer this helped me with the very same problem.
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/resetpassword
Actually I neglected to notice that your trying to get Ubuntu studio working my problem was getting the login to work on Gutsy.

solracsuii
June 25th, 2008, 05:22 AM
ok, i did what u asked, still doesnt work.

same message:
-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

it seems when it's loading everything something wrong with the

hardware drives appears infront : Failed

i think it's not the password at all.