PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Rocks!!!

vilanox
December 17th, 2004, 09:00 AM
A few months ago, I bought a new laptop. The only distro I could get installed on it was Gentoo. However, I could never get sound or wireless to work. While reading reviews on various ditros out there, I stumbled across one on Ubuntu. I decided to give it a shot. It installed painlessly and, best of all, sound and wireless worked right off the bat. Ubuntu Linux kicks ass! Thank you for a wonderful ditribution.

-vilanox

ubuntu_demon
December 17th, 2004, 12:28 PM
welcome aboard :grin:

tleroy
December 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM
I agree! :)

I haven't tried my laptop yet, but I'm glad to hear that there's a good chance it will work on one.

I had a very similar post last week after my first install. :)

Enjoy!

linny129
December 17th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Sound support could still use improvement. There are still a lot of things I don't get sound on that I do in other distros. (chromium, doom legacy to name a few). The default media player wouldn't play my mp3s. Had to install XMMS.

ubuntu-geek
December 17th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Welcome to the forums.. :)

Nicke
December 17th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I agree! My brand new Acer Ferrari runs without any probs. Haven't tested wireless network yet. Great!

/Nicke

vilanox
December 18th, 2004, 04:24 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I like the friendly atmosphere of these forums.

I was so excited with the installation and playing around in linux last night, the sun snuck up on me this morning. I haven't had this much fun with linux in a long time. I thought I would be lost without Gentoo's portage, but apt-get is a pretty sweet deal. I've even relayed my joy to a friend of mine who had no intention of putting linux on his laptop. I think I might have convinced him otherwise. :mrgreen:

I need sleep, but not yet...

-vilanox