PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Getting rid of XP from a partition equation?

awjm
June 25th, 2008, 12:52 AM
Hey all,

I have a question about fully installing Ubuntu, but I'm new to Ubuntu and I'm nowhere near being a computer genius, although I'm better than the average person. So please answer simply.
I'm trying to fully install Ubuntu on my laptop as the only OS. I downloaded the CD image, burned it, put it in and tried to either install it straight, or sample it and install it from within the sample. Problem is, my disc drive is a bit screwed up and it could not do either. Or maybe it wasn't my disc drive, but something else. Anyway...
So, I went into Windows, put the disc in and then installed it in a partition. But now I want to get rid of Windows XP and give the computer fully over to Ubuntu. Can I do that now? Without using the CD again? And how?
If my question is unclear, let me know and I'll try to clarify it.
Thanks a lot!

~Adam

Partyboi2
June 25th, 2008, 01:06 AM
You could use unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/) to install without having to use a cdrom

awjm
June 25th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Hmm, interesting. Thanks. And now I have another question. If I go with this UNetbootin, will it scrub my hard drive so that my computer is squeeky clean?

Partyboi2
June 25th, 2008, 02:45 AM
It will allow you to replace windows with ubuntu. This will format your drive to ext3 file system. If you are going to wipe windows remember to back up what you want to keep onto another medium.
If you are wanting really squeaky clean you could use something like killdisk or dban to format the drive, however I think for unetbootin to work you need a already installed operating system and using killdisk or dban you would be wiping the o/s.

kindlinux
June 25th, 2008, 03:12 AM
I know you're a newbie to this,and I know you found out the benefits for linux but just in case,I recommend to dual-boot just in case something happens.

awjm
June 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Well, I know what you're saying. I probably would have a dual-boot, but what I'm saying is that my hard drive is already a mess and needed to either be wiped, or freed up. I was having trouble wiping the hard drive because I need my CD player to be fully functional. But I'm wondering if this UNetbootin allows me to run Unetbootin from a flashdrive so that I can install onto a wiped drive.