PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Maintaining two active interfaces at once.

springbok
June 24th, 2008, 11:32 PM
Hello,

I've been reading around ubuntuforums.org for a while now, and I must admit, there is no single source that has helped me more than you guys!

So, I have now run into an issue that I can't seem to find a solution to anywhere, and have therefore decided to register and post about it.

My setup consists of a MacBook Pro and a Dell Optiplex, the latter running Ubuntu 8.04, which I just started to play with a few weeks ago. Up until yesterday, I was sharing the Mac's wireless internet via ethernet to the PC, however, I've always wanted for the Linux machine to be 100% independent, and so I decided to go ahead and buy a Linksys WUSB54GC USB wireless adapter for it, which I was able to flawlessly configure thanks to these very forums!

Anyways, so my setup is all good to go now, and both machines connect independently to my wireless Internet. However, there is something that isn't working very well, and that is Synergy. I use Synergy to share the same keyboard and mouse amongst both machines (it is connected manually to the PC and then a Synergy server is setup in Ubuntu, to which the Mac connects). The router being downstairs, I find there is a pretty serious lag, especially when I'm using the connection heavily on either of the computers, so ideally I'm looking to connect them by ethernet as well, so synergy can make use of that fast speed connection, while all other traffic goes through their respective wireless interfaces.

The problem I am having is that, once I activate the wired connection from within System-Administration-Network, things stop working, and neither wireless nor wired work, so there's clearly an issue with these two coexisting.

Is there anyway I can accomplish this sort of functionality?

Thanks in advance! :grin:

springbok
June 25th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Is this whole thing even possible?

I guess I might be in the market for a USB switch, as it looks like I will have to dump Synergy.

In any case, let me know if anyone has any ideas!

Cheers! ;-)