PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu/Linux Laptop from System76 for College

SilverDragon
June 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
In the fall I'll be attending Umass Amherst and have been looking for a laptop. One thing I've noticed is that at some colleges linux is banned as in not allowed on the network, or not supported at all(which isn't as bad) Fortunately, Umass Amherst seems to have at least a little support for it. I believe this because of these links.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ma/2007-May/000090.html

http://www.googlesyndicatedsearch.com/u/oitumassamherst?q=OIT%20linux&sa=Google+Search&domains=umass.edu&sitesearch=umass.edu

http://www.oit.umass.edu/software/download/linux.html

Since I've been using Ubuntu exclusively for about 6 months and was on and off for a year before that, I think I'd rather use Ubuntu in college :)

I like Dell and all for computers, but I was thinking I should buy a laptop from System76 because they get good reviews and two laptops with similar hardware costs about $250 or so less when I buy from System76 when compared to Dell.

I was wondering if there is any reason I would want to use a Windows laptop. I've heard I can connect through a VPN(not really sure how this works yet) on Ubuntu and that should be fine for most network related issues.

I was also curious about anything else I should be worried about.

madjr
June 24th, 2008, 11:26 PM
yea system 76 is very good.

and their prices have also lowered a bit

this one is awesome price
http://system76.com/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=85

much better deal than the dell i got with a 8400GS, i would had prefer that one with the 8600GT and built in webcam

oh, and am liking umass :)

damis648
June 24th, 2008, 11:31 PM
The ONLY thing i do not like about System76 is the fact that their laptops are so thick!

madjr
June 25th, 2008, 12:01 AM
The ONLY thing i do not like about System76 is the fact that their laptops are so thick!

well my Dell inspiron 1420 is thick compared to your XPS

they might offer a not so thick one in the future, but i find them cool anyway

i like their branding and logo

damis648
June 25th, 2008, 12:03 AM
i find them cool anyway

i like their branding and logo

Yes me too. :popcorn:

Extreme Coder
June 25th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Yeah.. I would get a System76 too ;) I wonder how well they're doing, now that Dell's taking all their sales now :/

And I envy your College, they offer some support for Linux! I hope I go to one that supports it the same way when I get to College..

Pethegreat
June 25th, 2008, 03:15 AM
System 76 offers a guide on how to install windows on their laptop if it is necessary. The only things I can see needing windows for are specialized programs. I know through my college(University of Pittsburgh) I am able to get Red Hat, XP, and Vista for less than $10 each. I also have acess to XP, Linux, Unix, and OSX powered machines in computer labs.

I would look at your college's computer services web page. If they don't give an answear about linux, e-mail them.

smartboyathome
June 25th, 2008, 03:17 AM
I would say look at ZaReason, as well. They are cheaper than System76 and will make a computer with any specs for you.

macogw
June 25th, 2008, 06:09 AM
I would say look at ZaReason, as well. They are cheaper than System76 and will make a computer with any specs for you.
+1 Just ordered an UltraLapSR for school. It's 13.3". System76 doesn't have any ultra-portables.

As for VPN stuff, I wrote about this because my school doesn't support Linux either: http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspot.com/2007/05/my-school-claims-linux-users-cant-get.html

Ioky
June 25th, 2008, 08:37 AM
I am poor, and no money to get a nice new laptop, so I ending up got a Used Toshiba Portege M100, for school. To me, I am my own support, don't care about what the school can or can't.

But using Linux for school can get annoying, because I get like ZERO support from The TECH! school I go to. And for some reason, I get more support from the ART school I go now. --.--! haha anyway, but that is my care. BTW, I get a lot of friend who go the Umass A. hahaha i mean a lot, it is like the whole high school move to Amherst haha

LookTJ
June 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Also, don't forget to check out eracks.com.

SilverDragon
June 26th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Well it seems for the most part you guys think I can get a Ubuntu laptop and I should be okay. If it comes to it I can dual-boot Windows anyway.

I thought buying a laptop from System76 rather than Dell, might be better because the hardware is probably better supported? I could be completely wrong about that though.

As for VPN stuff, I wrote about this because my school doesn't support Linux either: http://ubuntulinuxtipstricks.blogspo...-cant-get.html

Thank you for that. I have a feeling I might have to use that resource.

madjr
June 26th, 2008, 11:39 PM
I thought buying a laptop from System76 rather than Dell, might be better because the hardware is probably better supported? I could be completely wrong about that though.

yea go for it, it's a bargain

jml
June 27th, 2008, 03:46 AM
As a company, System 76 is top notch. They answered a lot of my questions by e-mail before I even bought a laptop from them. (First Generation Darter.) They answered my questions very rapidly, even over the weekend! I'm running pure Debian on my laptop now, but System 76 customer support assured me that if I hosed my system (I didn't thankfully,) they would do what was necessary to help me restore it back to factory specs.

Like others have said, if your school does not ban Linux and offers a bit of support for it the only problem may be any specialized software you may need for classes. For example my daughter needs to run a Windows box to take exams on line at her law school. You may also have problems tunneling into your school's network from off campus depending on the type of VPN software they run. Just buy a laptop with a large enough hard drive so you have enough room if you need to dual boot Linux and Windows.

Joe

SilverDragon
June 27th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I also wanted to ask if running a 64bit OS would be troublesome with wireless, because I wanted to get 4GB of RAM. I've been running 64bit on my desktop since Hardy's release and it's been fine. Wireless seems to be a problem for many though.

Also, since I am probably going with the Serval Performance laptop is the hit in performance of having a 5400 RPM drive vs a 7200 RPM drive that noticeable? I probably won't need the extra 50GB of HD space so I'm thinking the 7200 RPM drive would be better.

Thanks for the recommendations :)

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM
i still love my pangolin. i've had it for about two years. it's gone through various stages of baboontu, sabayon, sidux, arch and even opensuse. the hardware always worked with all of them.

madjr
June 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
I also wanted to ask if running a 64bit OS would be troublesome with wireless, because I wanted to get 4GB of RAM. I've been running 64bit on my desktop since Hardy's release and it's been fine. Wireless seems to be a problem for many though.

Also, since I am probably going with the Serval Performance laptop is the hit in performance of having a 5400 RPM drive vs a 7200 RPM drive that noticeable? I probably won't need the extra 50GB of HD space so I'm thinking the 7200 RPM drive would be better.

Thanks for the recommendations :)

HD speed is not really noticable unless you copy lots of big files across different drives.

i have various pc's old and new and hardly notice anything

the real difference is only on SSD

SilverDragon
July 3rd, 2008, 04:56 PM
I just recently had my orientation and they even have their own version of Ubuntu called UbuntUmass Linux and they were promoting Openoffice during their technology presentation, which was a nice surprise.

Well thanks to everyone for their help. Maybe I'll even get a roommate who uses Ubuntu too because I'm in a program where I have to room with someone else with a computer science major, which should be cool 8-)