PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Errors while installing on an older machine!!

swoody
June 24th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I'm having some problems trying to install Ubuntu on my Windows 98 comp. It's running an 8gb IDE harddrive, Pentium II, and 96mb RAM. I know the install disc is good since I used it to install Hardy on my laptop.

I tried acpi=force, noacpi, and acpi=off, but it's not working. When I try acpi=force, it still gives me the same error message, when I try noacpi or acpi=off it'll start the bootsplash, but will wind up freezing with the lights on my keyboard flashing. I finally got it to get past the ubuntu splash screen, but only to have my monitor flooded with error messages that keep coming:

SQUASHFS error: Unable to read fragment cache block 0xa4cff
SQUASHFS error: Unable to read page, block 2933658b, size 989b
SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0xa4cff

Please, if anyone has any ideas or tips, they would be greatly apppreciated. Thank you all very much!

-Woody

avtolle
June 24th, 2008, 09:11 PM
It's not going to install on only 96 mb of Ram.

swoody
June 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
It's not going to install on only 96 mb of Ram.

How much would I need to be able to install it?

avtolle
June 24th, 2008, 09:32 PM
From the "alternate install" text based installer disk, 256mb minimum; from the Live (Desktop)CD, 384 mb (the difference is to allow the graphical installer to run). There are a few options available to you other than full-fledged Ubuntu, but which are based upon Ubuntu. At 96 mb, I'd suggest doing a minimal installation, with a "light" window manager installed, such as Fluxbox, IceWM. I understand there is something known as Ubuntulite in the works, the details of which are unknown to me.

There is also the possibility of doing a minimal install of Debian with a light-weight DE on top, there is Puppy Linux, DSL (Damned Small Linux), and a few others.

EDIT: A link to installation on low-memory systems, if you are interested: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

swoody
June 25th, 2008, 05:14 AM
From the "alternate install" text based installer disk, 256mb minimum; from the Live (Desktop)CD, 384 mb (the difference is to allow the graphical installer to run). There are a few options available to you other than full-fledged Ubuntu, but which are based upon Ubuntu. At 96 mb, I'd suggest doing a minimal installation, with a "light" window manager installed, such as Fluxbox, IceWM. I understand there is something known as Ubuntulite in the works, the details of which are unknown to me.

There is also the possibility of doing a minimal install of Debian with a light-weight DE on top, there is Puppy Linux, DSL (Damned Small Linux), and a few others.

EDIT: A link to installation on low-memory systems, if you are interested: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

Thank you so much! I don't have the time to look through it all right now, but I'll check it all out first thing in the morning. I really appreciate the help!

Partyboi2
June 25th, 2008, 05:46 AM
Here is a another useful link (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/minimal#barebones)

swoody
July 3rd, 2008, 11:02 PM
Thanks guys! I did the minimal disc, and downloaded everything as I went.