PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] What to do next?

mirchichamu
June 24th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Any how I installed Ubuntu,Albeit with difficulty. But what to do next:

1) Do I need a firewall like windows?
2) Do I need an Anti virus?
3) Where can I find softwares for Linux?
4) What is all these Ubuntu, zubantu and and .....?
5) Where is task commander?

I shall be thankful to all of you.

markjensen
June 24th, 2008, 08:08 PM
1) You already have a firewall, more than likely, installed and activated. It is iptables.
2) Not really currently, no. If you are currently patched with all the latest updates available, you are in pretty good shape. Most malware is geared toward the Windows platform. The known Linux malware is generally targetting outdated packages, typically server stuff. I do, however, have clamav installed on my computer. It really doesn't hurt.
3) First and foremost, look to your package manager for software. It is far easier, and it will be checked for updates when you do your periodic updates. For example, use synaptic (your package manager) and search for 'celestia'. Install it. It is a great little space simulation/educational app that I really loved to bring out to show the Cub Scouts back when my kids were in scouts.
4) All those are are different varieties of the Ubuntu base but with different packages pre-selected and included for install. Most cases, even the Desktop Environment is changed. Ubuntu uses GNOME. Kubuntu uses KDE, Xubuntu uses XFCE and so forth.
5) Huh?

Ironchew
June 24th, 2008, 08:22 PM
5) Where is task commander?

The thing you're looking for is probably the System Monitor, under System - Administration. There are several ways to start command-line programs, one of which is Applications - Accessories - Terminal (a bash shell). Look up how to use bash in Absolute Beginner talk, or search for a bash tutorial on Google. Hope that helps.

dracayr
June 24th, 2008, 08:24 PM
you don't really need a "task commander" in linux. However, if one of your apps does freeze (which happens almost never), there is an applet for you: right-click the top panel and click add. somewhere down the list there should be sth. like "close broken window"

There is the equivalent of the task commander in System->Administration->System monitor (or sth. like that)

dracayr

mirchichamu
June 24th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Thank you all my friends. You have helped me a lot. Now I am ready to go further on my flight with ubuntu. Pray for my success.