PDA

View Full Version : Stargate

Th3Professor
June 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Tell us about it... :) ...as in:

What do you like/dislike about anything-Stargate and why?

For the Stargate fans, what are some favorite moments/topics/etc. in anything-Stargate and what do you hope to see from Stargate (anything) in the future?

Stargate (1994 movie)
Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007 tv series)
Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008 dvd movie)
Stargate: Continuum (2008 dvd movie)
Stargate Atlantis (2004-2009 tv series)
Stargate Universe (2009-2011 tv series)

{...potential future Stargate movies and/or series...}

Anything-Stargate... movies, tv shows, soundtracks, animations/cartoons, novels, comics, computer games, rpg games, comic-cons/conventions, references from other media/shows, etc.

nrs
June 24th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Wormhole X-treme is waaaay too close to the actual thing.

billgoldberg
June 24th, 2008, 06:36 PM
For the Stargate fans, what are some favorite moments/topics/etc. in anything-Stargate and what do you hope to see from Stargate (anything) in the future?

Furlings !!! :p

Some of my favorite moments from each series/movie:

When we first saw Ra, that dude looked awesome.

I liked the Doci (from the Ori) and that firewall he was talking to.

I also like it when Daniel (as an ancient) was going to stop Anubis, but then Oma stopped him. And the Jaffa said to Anubis "you really are a god or something like that.

The episode 2010 was awesome.

I liked how they introduced Vala (wearing the super soldier armor).

The episode "Unending" and the one where all the Asgards were killed off were sublime.

The entire Ori story kicked ***.

The replicator saga was also very good, I especially like how replicator Carter and Danial Jackson had a mental war, and he managed to stop the replicators attack just long enough to tip the scale to the Tauri and Jaffa side.

The episode where they went to hell (forgot the name, Aphopis was there too) was sublime.

The one where Carter blew up the son, and SG1 and Jacob got blasted to another Galaxy together with the Apophis super ship.

Another great one was with Danial Jacksons grand father, who everybody thought was crazy, and the giants (crystal skull).

The ep "The fifth race" also rocked.

But there are to many to mention.

I was bummed out a bit when they stopped that stargate game, they even have ads fir ut on the dvd's I have.

DrMega
June 24th, 2008, 07:42 PM
They cast some very pretty women. There are big spaceships and lots of explosions. What more do you need?

Oh, and some of the women they cast are very pretty, did I already mention that?

LightB
June 24th, 2008, 07:43 PM
I liked the movie. The show was ok but kind of cheesy. I did like Atlantis though because it made slightly more logical sense, they were trapped. Off topic, but that's the same reason I liked Star Trek Voyager over all the rest of the versions.

Th3Professor
June 24th, 2008, 09:55 PM

I like all of them, though to how much varies... if I were to rate 1 to 10, 1 sucky and 10 awesome...

10 = Stargate (1994 movie)
10 = Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007 tv series)
8 or 9 = Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008 dvd movie)
N/A (not out yet) = Stargate: Continuum (2008 dvd movie)
6 or 7 with a couple 8 or 9 moments = Stargate Atlantis (2004-present tv series)
N/A yet = Stargate Universe (tv series (pre-production))
N/A yet = Stargate 2 & 3 (potential sequels to 1994 movie)

Soundtracks... 7 or 8 for the more popular themes, about 2 or 3 for the horrendous MIDI/synth snippets of music snuck into the episodes.

Animation... don't know. Games... don't know.

The fact that they do a good job of mixing in funny and serious plot lines (in SG-1) makes it a more enjoyable show. The stories, in general, from the original movie to SG-1, are pretty neat. The characters have become iconic.

In the future... well, we're looking forward to the release of "Stargate: Continuum". We saw "Ark of Truth" in an unfinished stage, prior to visual effects being added (they were still editing it), so we didn't really see the finished product... not yet. Continuum looks like a slight return to the more traditional SG-1 style of story-telling.

I'm really curious about the new tv series, SG Universe. They're saying that they are waiting for the Atlantis tv series to end before doing "SGU"... something about not wanting to do 40+ hours of tv in one year (each tv series being about 20+ hours of tv shows per year), kind of like simultaneous run with the end of SG1 and beginning of SGA. I think that's a good idea. Simultaneous sg1 sga was overkill and, personally, I think it gave Atlantis a rough start. Anyway, the premise of SGU is pretty neat, though I hope they still maintain the direct connection to Earth (like SG1).

There are internet rumors about a Stargate 2 & 3 (sequels to the 1994 movie), though I'm doubting that will ever happen. If it does, though, that will be very cool.

The tv shows, though, in general seem to fit in a groove or pattern of just how successful they've been, which leads me to guess SGU's success...

SG1 = very successful
SGA = a mix (some great, some bad)
SGU = very successful (guessing the success)

It feels like SGA is the "glue" between SG1 and SGU in more ways than it simply being the series that happened in between them... but almost like a series that perhaps didn't seem to amount to much more than "sticky stuff". Though it's admittedly sticky stuff, and yet there's no rushing to wash it off, we still watch SGA, can't help it... big fans of all-things Stargate. There are a few elements to Atlantis that are very special, though it isn't nearly as good as SG-1 & the original movie. Although the original movie has some distinct differences with sg1, it's forever associated with it. SGA seems to be forever associated with sg1, not so much with the movie. Though, SGU will probably be like that too. Who knows... we shall see.

I do believe that the "Universe" series will be a step up from SGA. Using the 9th chevron? Lots of possibilities there. (7 for the local galaxy, 8 for another galaxy, supposedly 9 for the Ancient's ship potentially farther out in space. They say there will be 2 Ancient ships (for their gate disbursing experiment), one for an automated seeding of planets with stargates across the galaxies, another to follow behind and explore the newly made gate-accessible worlds). So, it sounds like a lot of space activity and other-world activity... not much Earth, which I still hope they keep in the story.

EDIT:
re: SGU... the producers are talking like it's a present-day thing. It just happens to use the ships of the Ancients, which they abandoned to ascend. I'll venture a guess that Earth will discover one or both of the Ancient ships, via gate coordinates +1, like with discovering and traveling to Atlantis... only it's more like gate address +1+1. (aka the 9 chevs) lol If it takes a lot of power to travel with 8 chevs, I wonder what it'll take to travel with 9!

Xerp
June 25th, 2008, 01:03 AM
All.. all.. I like them all! A lot!

Th3Professor
June 25th, 2008, 01:55 AM
:D What might be some of the things about any of them that really stand out?

Any particular story arc in SG1 that ya think is totally cool?

(...I'm currently having an SG1 marathon, so I'm admittedly playing favorites with that one at the moment...)

Helios1276
June 25th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Id call myself a fan, whats not to like about interplanetary sci fi with Mcgyver!?! They even had the lovely..er.. Romi?..around for a bit!:). The Final 'movie' however sucked b***s, stick to running around the Canadian wilderness with a p90!

Th3Professor
June 25th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Id call myself a fan, whats not to like about interplanetary sci fi with Mcgyver!?! They even had the lovely..er.. Romi?..around for a bit!:). The Final 'movie' however sucked b***s, stick to running around the Canadian wilderness with a p90!

romi?

Helios1276
June 25th, 2008, 02:11 AM
romi?

The really hot girl from Andromeda(a guilty pleasure lol)..LEXA DOIG or sumfing

BWF89
June 25th, 2008, 02:51 AM
One episode that comes to mind is Citizen Joe (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/815.shtml). It's about this guy who finds a stone at a garage sale and it gives him a telepathic link to O'Neil where he can see everything he sees.

Th3Professor
June 25th, 2008, 04:03 AM
The really hot girl from Andromeda(a guilty pleasure lol)..LEXA DOIG or sumfing

Oh yeah! She's pretty cool. :) She married Michael Shanks (aka Daniel Jackson). Actually, she's his 2nd wife... the Sha're lady, Vaitiare (Hirshon) Bandera, was Shanks' 1st wife (in real life, not just the tv show). Shanks had 1 kid with Bandera and so far has had 2 kids with Doig.

One episode that comes to mind is Citizen Joe (http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s8/815.shtml). It's about this guy who finds a stone at a garage sale and it gives him a telepathic link to O'Neil where he can see everything he sees.

Dan Castellaneta... played the part of Joe in Citizen Joe the barber.

He is also the voice actor of the part "Homer Simpson" in The Simpsons. :)

...and RDA (macgyver) is a huge fan of The Simpsons, really enjoyed having Castellaneta in an episode.

It's probably more obvious that there are lots of "Wizard of Oz" homages throughout the SG-1 series, though a perhaps less obvious one - there are also lots of "The Simpsons" homages throughout the series. :)

Th3Professor
June 25th, 2008, 04:40 PM
lol okay i'm not so big of a fan that i have every line from every SG movie and SG tv show memorized... really i'm not! ;)

anyway... bump for the gaters

hkgonra
June 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM
GREAT SHOW !
My wife and I are really looking forward to the next season of Atlantis.
Anybody know of a cheap place to get the sg-1 seasons ?

Th3Professor
June 25th, 2008, 04:58 PM
rent...
local video rental places tend to have most or all things SG. The national branches don't seem to as much (except the orig. (1994) movie), though maybe it varies.

buy...
all 10 years (box set, a big cube-thing with a neat li'l plastic stargate sticking out of it lol)of SG1 on amazon for about $200 something. There are 3 or 4 bonus DVDs. Not sure about SGA, going to wait 'til the series is over before getting the box set.

I recently found out the '94 movie has an extended version on dvd... another 10 minutes or so have been added. I'm really curious to see that, find out what was added.

SGA has definitely improved recently, though maybe it helps that the SG makers aren't producing 2 SG shows simultaneously.

Have you (or anyone) heard anything on the "Stargate Universe" series?

EDIT:
...you could probably get sg1 seasons separately, though I'll guess it will cost more. You could always do bootlegs/torrents but please don't. Buy them and support SG! :D

hkgonra
June 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM
Have you (or anyone) heard anything on the "Stargate Universe" series?

http://gateworld.net/

billgoldberg
June 25th, 2008, 09:59 PM

The best thing about that episode is in the very end.

When it came out O'Neil had been seeing things about Joe for years also, and didn't find it necessary to mention it.

Thinking about it, I'm off to see another stargate ep before I hit the deck.

hkgonra
June 25th, 2008, 10:41 PM

When it came out O'Neil had been seeing things about Joe for years also, and didn't find it necessary to mention it.

That was absolutely HILARIOUS !!!

xodus1
June 25th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Stargate Is Ok
But Doctor Who is Brilliant

and Farscape (well farscape)

hkgonra
June 25th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Stargate Is Ok

I have only seen a few of Doctor Who but I Loved Farscape.

LightB
June 26th, 2008, 12:11 AM
No one likes Battlestar Galactica (the new one)? That's actually my favorite sci fi show.

Th3Professor
June 26th, 2008, 12:18 AM

That really put the icing on... no, it was the cherry on top... when Jack said that (seeing Joe's life experiences). RDA did, as usual, a perfect job delivering it. Friggin' hilarious. :) Great stuff.

Stargate Is Ok

I've seen some Farscape, it was certainly interesting... I don't think you can put a "good" or "bad" to it as well as just a "it's just Farscape". It's cool that the 2 newest members of SG1 were on Farscape. I'll always know them as "the farscape guy and girl", their brief run on SG1 was fun to watch, though their contribution wasn't exactly ground-breaking, though still fitting considering the circumstances of SG1's plot, Ori, etc.

Dr. Who... I am really only familiar with the Tom Baker era of Dr. Who... and I loved it. It's gotta be one of the best sci-fi shows of all time.

I can't compare Dr. Who and Stargate... both are very good and although they're both sci-fi and even share similar elements they're still different animals. I used to be a huge fan of Dr. Who and right now I'm a huge fan of SG.

Give me the TARDIS and I'll travel to the SG1 era.

Give me the wormhole hitting a solar flare or the Ancients' time-traveling puddle-jumper and I'll travel to Tom Baker's Dr. Who era.

;)

(yeah, I love BSG... though it's not as good as SG1, lol)

Helios1276
June 26th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Stargate Is Ok

I'm sorry but Doctor Who (in it's current incarnation) is just plain terrible.

Th3Professor
July 2nd, 2008, 09:06 AM
STARGATE

Share your favorite SG moments. :D

For me, Window of Opportunity in SG1 is of course an excellent one. I also like when they screw with the timeline, travel time, screw with alternate universes and dimensions, etc.

billgoldberg
July 2nd, 2008, 09:16 AM
I'm sorry but Doctor Who (in it's current incarnation) is just plain terrible.

I have to disagree.

I'm loving the new who.

Did you see "4x12 The Stolen Earth"?

It was golden.

Anyhow, the thread's about stargate.

There are just so many episodes.

One that I loved that comes to mind is "There but for the grace of God".

The one were Daniel Jackson travels to an alternate universe.

Or "Absolute Power" the one where the Harcesis child shows Daniel Jackson an "evil" version of himself, taking over the world.

billgoldberg
July 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
No one likes Battlestar Galactica (the new one)? That's actually my favorite sci fi show.

I loved the last season. And the ending of the season, haha, what a cliffhanger.

Th3Professor
July 2nd, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm loving the new who.
Anyhow, the thread's about stargate.
One that I loved that comes to mind is "There but for the grace of God".
The one were Daniel Jackson travels to an alternate universe.
Or "Absolute Power" the one where the Harcesis child shows Daniel Jackson an "evil" version of himself, taking over the world.

I've seen a few new who, you? j/k ...had to rhyme. Anyway, the few recent ones I've seen were pretty good. It was a while back but with the most recent dr.who actor.

The alt.universe/reality/etc. SG stories are great. Same with alternate time-lines. I believe the new dvd movie, Stargate Continuum, is about different time-lines.

I loved the last season. And the ending of the season, haha, what a cliffhanger.

The last episode of BSG that I saw was something like s04e05 or something, maybe e06 or e07, I forget. I need to get back on track with that. I understand they're shooting for 20 episodes for this season (four)? Are they currently on season 4's episode 10 (or 12, considering Razor)? Or am I off track? Or were you referring to the cliffhanger in season 3?

Anyway, SG1... we're currently in the middle of another marathon... currently on season 5 episode 5, "Red Sky".

Gateworld's plot summary:
"SG-1 discovers that their trip through the Stargate may have inadvertently doomed an entire civilization, and plead with the Asgard for assistance."

Excerpts from their additional plot details:
"Carter tells Colonel O'Neill that they had to bypass some of the normal dialing protocols in order to get a lock on this planet -- K'Tau, a peaceful, agrarian world populated by a very spiritual people."

"SG-1 soon realizes the reason for their rough ride through the wormhole. The K'Tau sun shifts toward the infrared end of the light spectrum, threatening to destroy all life on the planet."

"O'Neill is granted an audience with members of the Asgard High Council, who continually rebuff his apologies and his pleas for help. The treaty with the Goa'uld prevents them from using their technology to artificially advance the people of K'Tau -- even if it means saving them from destruction. If the Protected Planets Treaty is violated, the Goa'uld would be free to attack any planet named in it -- including Earth."

"SG-1 is on their own. The only way that Carter can think of to stop the process is to introduce an element with an atomic weight above 200 into the sun, rendering the foreign matter inert."

"The element is sent, and SG-1 waits on K'Tau for the results. When it appears that the plan did not work, Daniel offers a final prayer for the people as SG-1 prepares to leave. But the sun shifts back to its normal state, almost miraculously. The team speculates that the Asgard may have helped out after all, having been provided a way of stepping in without the Goa'uld knowing. But they realize that they will never really know for certain."

This is a pretty standard SG1 episode... nothing especially "cool" about it, though it's one of those nice little side-quest type stories with the original SG1 team discovering, exploring, screwing something up, fixing it, and returning home with new off-world buddies (or not). lol :D Good stuff. :)

Trollslayer
July 3rd, 2008, 02:37 PM
For me it's the way they use the situation to develop the characters.
I like Thor - great sense of humour when you listen.

eldragon
July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
all i can say is it was interesting till RDA lost interest.

the ori are boring
the wraith are boring
general hammond was great too.

Th3Professor
July 3rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
RDA kicks a**, makes the show all that much better. His full-time run from '97-'05 was just plain awesome. His recurring role, though sparse, from '05-'07 was also just plain awesome. I think the show was definitely better with him in it, though I don't think it got boring when he left. From what I've read, interviews, RDA never lost interest. He wanted to be with his family. He's also not gone for good... he has a significant role in the upcoming dvd movie "Stargate Continuum".

I think the Ori is a neat concept and was done very well.
The Wraith? An excellent concept but poorly done.

By the way, I was just shocked to find out that Don S. Davis, aka General Hammond, recently died. He died just a couple days ago, June 29, 2008. He was 65.

Th3Professor
July 3rd, 2008, 03:17 PM
The following is from gateworld.net:

Don S. Davis: 1942-2008
http://www.gateworld.net/graphics/clear.gif
Monday - June 30, 2008 | by Darren Sumner

http://www.gateworld.net/graphics/clear.gifhttp://www.gateworld.net/news/graphics/davis02.jpg

With great sadness we must report that veteran actor Don S. Davis passed away on June 29, 2008. He was 65 years old.

Don co-starred on Stargate SG-1 for the show's first seven years, helping to launch the enduring science fiction franchise. Davis played Major General George Hammond (http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/links/hammondgeorge.shtml), base commander and a father figure to many of the show's characters.

He is also well-known for his portrayal of Major Garland Briggs in Twin Peaks.

Off-screen, Don was beloved by the show's cast and crew. He departed the show in 2003 due to a medical condition that restricted his workload, but returned for several guest appearances on SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis in the following years. Don worked hard to improve his health, and continued to work both on screen and off until his death.

The following message was provided by Don's representative and his wife, Ruby Fleming-Davis:

Dear Fans and Friends of Don S. Davis,

So many of you have been touched by not only the work and art of Don S. Davis, but by the man himself, who always took the time to be with you at the appearances he loved, that it is with a tremendous sense of loss I must share with you that Don passed away from a massive heart attack on Sunday morning, June 29th.

On behalf of his family and wife, Ruby, we thank you for your prayers and condolences. A family memorial where Don's ashes will be scattered in the ocean will take place in a few weeks, and should you wish to, please make a donation to the American Heart Association (https://donate.americanheart.org/ecommerce/aha/aha_index.jsp) in Don's memory.

Born August 4, 1942 in Aurora, Missouri and raised there, Don received a Bachelor of Science degree with a double major in theater and art from Southwest Missouri State College in 1965. He then served three years on active duty in the United States Army, entering as a Second Lieutenant. He rose to the rank of Captain and was stationed in Korea before completing his required tour of active duty.

Upon leaving the army, Don began working toward a Master's degree in theater at Southern Illinois University, in Carbondale, Illinois, and received his Master's degree in 1970. He taught at the University of British Columbia for a decade before returning to SIU to complete his coursework for a PhD in theater, receiving the degree in 1982.

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/graphics/davis01_01.jpg

Photo from Southern Alumnihttp://www.gateworld.net/graphics/clear.gif Don's list of film and television credits (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0204493/) is lengthy, dating back to 1982. He met Stargate co-star Richard Dean Anderson on the set of MacGyver, where Don worked as a stunt double for actor Dana Elcar.

When production on Stargate SG-1 began in 1997, the producers tapped Davis to play the base commander -- originally written to be a by-the-book antagonist, but quickly softened by Don's own personality and experience.

In 2003 Don married his soul mate and the great love of his life, Ruby Fleming-Davis. The two have resided in British Columbia with their three dogs (http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/06/don_s._davis_1942-2008.shtml#), Teto, Ming and Charley.

Don's off-screen career as an artist blossomed especially in the years since he left Stargate. A look at his Web site, DonSDavisArt.com (http://www.donsdavisart.com/), reveals his tremendous gifts in painting, drawing, and woodcarving.

Don's final Stargate appearance is in Stargate: Continuum (http://www.gateworld.net/movies/03.shtml), the SG-1 DVD movie that will be released July 29 in North America and August 18 in the United Kingdom. He will also appear in the forthcoming films "Vipers," "Woodshop," and "Far Cry," according to the Internet Movie Database (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0204493/).

Many fans of Don's work have had the opportunity to meet him in person, as he was also a regular face at fan conventions around the world. Fans learned that behind General Hammond was a Southern gentleman with a big heart, a no-nonsense attitude, and all the love and respect one could imagine.

GateWorld's editors visited with Don in 2006, where he talked at length about his career, his time on Stargate, and his feelings about his fellow cast members. That two-part video interview, "Intimate Portrait," (http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/intimate_portrait_part_1_o.shtml) may be found in the Interviews archive.

Services for Don S. Davis will be small and private in Vancouver. His Web sites will be updated this week, and his obituary has been published in the Vancouver Sun (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/arts/story.html?id=d43bbc0f-1971-40e0-a584-c05aba7ee939)newspaper. In lieu of flowers or gifts, the family requests that donations be made to the American Heart Association (https://donate.americanheart.org/ecommerce/aha/aha_index.jsp) in Don's memory.

Memories of Don can be shared at GateWorld Forum (http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=56152). Also watch the site this week for more in tribute to this stellar actor and man, beginning with a special video tribute (http://www.gateworld.net/video/newsandfeatures/1214880775.shtml).

(Some material from DonSDavis.com (http://www.donsdavis.com/) and DonSDavisArt.com (http://www.donsdavisart.com/))

Th3Professor
July 4th, 2008, 07:28 PM

...okay, we saw the most recent BSG episode... it's, uhm... yeah definitely a cliffhanger.

(see white font below... or don't see it if you don't want spoilers on the most recent BSG and discussion/questions about it...)

I can't remember but how did the original BSG series end?

Did it end with them almost finding Earth but they just barely missed it, something about Earth's moon landing, being just out of range of that radio transmission?

In the current BSG series, with the collective (humans & skin-jobs) finding Earth together, actually landing on Earth, it seems like this series will definitely take it one step beyond where the original series left it. I hope so!

So what happened on Earth?

Is there no life or perhaps very little life that just happens to not be present where the BSG people and skin-jobs landed?

Is there any word out anywhere with more info on that?

Anyway... Stargate! :D I'm hoping that "Stargate Continuum" is only the first of a series of dvd movies.

I'm considering the "Ark of Truth" dvd movie a separate entity, more like an actual ending to the SG1 tv series, where they left things off in season 10 episode 19, and wrapped it all up in the "Ark of Truth" movie. (SG1's season 10 episode 20 seemed like a different kind of "wrap up the series".)

The plot in SG Continuum is pretty sweet, sequels would rock.

Th3Professor
July 6th, 2008, 05:00 PM
:KS:KS:KS:KS:KS-bump

billgoldberg
July 6th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Being the stargate fan that I am, I couldn't wait for the dvd and downloaded the newest movie.

The movie is great on so many levels.

The only negative point is that RDA is in it for about 3 minutes in total.

note: I own all the seasons on dvd, and will be buying the dvd, since I want new movies and I must have them in my collection.

Th3Professor
July 7th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Being the stargate fan that I am, I couldn't wait for the dvd and downloaded the newest movie.

The movie is great on so many levels.

The only negative point is that RDA is in it for about 3 minutes in total.

note: I own all the seasons on dvd, and will be buying the dvd, since I want new movies and I must have them in my collection.

Oh I don't know... I'd say RDA was in 4 minutes. :D
1 minute, beginning (general)...
2 minutes, middle (colonel)...
1 minute ending (general).

bUT hEY, better just a few minutes than none at all.

(We also have the 10 year box set and movies on DVD... and are waiting for the arrival of "Continuum" on DVD.)

:popcorn:

Th3Professor
July 11th, 2008, 03:49 AM
<bump>keepin' this one alive</bump>

Zack McCool
July 11th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Not much in the way of comments, yet. I have seen the 1994 Movie, and I am about halfway through season 2 of SG-1. Probably take me a few months to get through that series and move on to the next... ;)

Foster Grant
July 11th, 2008, 03:59 AM
Loved the show when the baddies were the Gua'ould. It started slipping after that. Atlantis started out okay but is no longer watchable.

BSG is the best show on TV right now. Doctor Who was better before Donna.

Th3Professor
July 11th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Not much in the way of comments, yet. I have seen the 1994 Movie, and I am about halfway through season 2 of SG-1. Probably take me a few months to get through that series and move on to the next... ;)

Season 2 was awesome, though I think they all were. lol Anything in particular out of the first couple seasons, so far, that you like a lot?

Loved the show when the baddies were the Gua'ould. It started slipping after that. Atlantis started out okay but is no longer watchable.

The Goa'uld story arc was pretty cool, though I think they introduced the new big bad villains at just the right time. Otherwise, they could have overdone the whole Goa'uld thing. The other baddies mixed in well and allowed for the Goa'uld to still be present and a trouble for humans everywhere (while the other baddies were the main story arcs), yet it was subtle enough that the Goa'uld was still able to take center stage for the big stories way later, even up to the end of the series and beyond (like with the "Continuum" movie).

I was a little so-so about the whole Ori plot when that came in, though it grew on me. :) If they would have put in some solid interaction between the Ancients and the Ori, that would have made it much better. It was neat how they overlapped that arc with the Goa'uld arc. (I won't get into details to not spoil anything.) :popcorn:

Atlantis... honestly I think it was horrible when it first started. It had some good moments, though overall it didn't seem stable enough or to give enough of an impact in any way other than the fact of them being off in another far away place with new stuff. It's how they approached that new stuff that could have been better.

The more recent Atlantis has been better (in my opinion). Perhaps still hit and miss, but the better ones have been even better and the worse ones have been "not as bad" as the earlier seasons. The season 5 first episode is very very cool, perhaps enough to solidify a more dedicated interest in that particular series. (Let's just hope they can maintain some consistency with "more better episodes" and "less bad episodes" (or no bad episodes at all would always be nice.))

Th3Professor
July 15th, 2008, 03:45 PM
<bump>...for the pure enthusiasm of all that is Stargate...</bump>

hkgonra
July 15th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Is it just me or did Friday's episdode of Atlantis seem to wrap up the MIchael Arc WAY too fast?

Foster Grant
July 15th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Is it just me or did Friday's episdode of Atlantis seem to wrap up the MIchael Arc WAY too fast?

Quite.

Scotty Bones
July 15th, 2008, 06:11 PM

I don't think that story is quite over yet. lets not forget that he had realized his ship had been infiltrated and the jumper was missing. Michael's proven quite adept at manipulating DNA. with his time on Atlantis and his copy of Becket's DNA and memories, he might have found a way of duplicating the ATA therapy for himself, thus using the cloaked jumper to make his escape. It will be interesting to see.

The arc I am really interested to see, is the replicator duplicates of Weir and Sheppard's team. They really left that one hanging after the destruction of the replicator home world. I know she only had one line there but the Weir duplicate seemed to have the same kind of attitude as the carter replicator. It would be interesting to see what they are plotting. (though I heard a rumor that see doesn't want to come back to do more episodes, that would be a shame)

hkgonra
July 15th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I don't think that story is quite over yet. lets not forget that he had realized his ship had been infiltrated and the jumper was missing. Michael's proven quite adept at manipulating DNA. with his time on Atlantis and his copy of Becket's DNA and memories, he might have found a way of duplicating the ATA therapy for himself, thus using the cloaked jumper to make his escape. It will be interesting to see.

The arc I am really interested to see, is the replicator duplicates of Weir and Sheppard's team. They really left that one hanging after the destruction of the replicator home world. I know she only had one line there but the Weir duplicate seemed to have the same kind of attitude as the carter replicator. It would be interesting to see what they are plotting. (though I heard a rumor that see doesn't want to come back to do more episodes, that would be a shame)

I never thought about that on Michael.

I agree on the Weir Arc.

Foster Grant
July 15th, 2008, 07:14 PM

The Asuran/Replicator arc is being rewritten because Torri Higginson didn't take kindly to be reduced to "recurring" for season 4. Apparently the producers just dropped that on her with no advance warning. Can't blame her for leaving a workplace where the bosses evidently didn't want her or didn't know what to do with her.

Scotty Bones
July 15th, 2008, 07:47 PM
The Asuran/Replicator arc is being rewritten because Torri Higginson didn't take kindly to be reduced to "recurring" for season 4. Apparently the producers just dropped that on her with no advance warning. Can't blame her for leaving a workplace where the bosses evidently didn't want her or didn't know what to do with her.

thats too bad. I really liked her character. Now their replacing Carter with Woolsey, what the hell is that. At first, I thought it was joke, like they were trying to give his character a little sense of humor, but they are actually serious. I had to go back and re-watch the opener. sure enough there was Picardo in place of Tapping, what are they thinking. I realize she has some other new deals going on and doesn't have the time for it, but Woolsey, seriously? He's never been that great at making command decisions. I don't think Carter was ever a really good replacement for Weir, but I hope they don't screw this one up. Maybe well get a new CO with each season :)

hkgonra
July 15th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I think Mitchell would make a great CO.
He and Sheppard should get along GREAT !

Th3Professor
July 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Hmm... isn't Ronon Dex (Jason Momoa (sp?))... leaving the show after this coming year? I thought I saw something about that in Gateworld or elsewhere.

I don't think that story is quite over yet.

Yeah... it looks like they're putting Michael's arc on the back-burner to bring something else to the forefront for the time being. Perhaps they'll intertwine more plots as a result.

Weir did a great job. Sure, she was a rookie Atlantis leader at first but she kept things together. I think Carter did okay, and although she's no longer leading I hope she still returns off and on. Isn't Daniel Jackson and/or Teal'c making an appearance or appearances in the upcoming Atlantis season?

The Woolsey bit... I think that's an appropriate twist to throw in. I hope he does do poorly leading the gang and that he actually does royally screw everything up - but only for a short time, maybe just enough time to get his butt replaced and for the IOA to have learned a hard lesson from it. Though as a non-leader type, he's pretty cool. I really like how they made him out to be a bit bad though truly a good guy, even at heart (during the SG1 series). He's maintained that within Atlantis too, let's hope it stays.

Replicarter... Repliweir? lol

thats too bad. I really liked her character. Now their replacing Carter with Woolsey, what the hell is that. ...Maybe well get a new CO with each season :)

They could do with some more solid leadership. There's too much "musical chairs" going on with Atlantis leaders right now. If they keep it up it could be one contributing factor that drives the series into the ground.

eragon100
July 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
N/A (not out yet) = Stargate: Continuum (2008 dvd movie)

Not out yet? That must be why the movie outlets don't have it yet.

I downloaded it from the pirate bay yestarday and watched it, it's a great movie! I would give it a 8 or a 9.

I am going to give you guys one hint: it has to do with time travel, amongst other things :wink:

Th3Professor
July 16th, 2008, 02:35 AM
Be sure to buy it too.

They're talking about additional movies, as if sequels to SG Continuum, or something, not sure. They are definitely going to do another Stargate tv series (SG Universe) after the SG Atlantis series concludes.

The more legit owners of SG movie dvds, tv show's dvds, etc. products, the more support they have and better chances they have at actually producing more movies, tv shows, etc.

:KS

Foster Grant
July 16th, 2008, 02:44 AM
SG Universe is on hold; no network commitment, no MGM commitment.

Th3Professor
July 16th, 2008, 03:47 AM
SG Universe is on hold; no network commitment, no MGM commitment.

What's your source?

(thanks!)

EDIT:

I see in Gateworld reference to MGM not commenting on it yet. So I can see how to the general public it can be viewed as on hold. It could even be on hold, privately, among the producers; however, I don't see any direct indication of it being either way. It could just as well be "not on hold" privately, among the producers, and simply kept secret from the public. So far, I see no news indicating either way. If it's not "on hold" and they are keeping any plans secret, it could very easily be for such purposes or strategies pertaining to marketing, publicity, etc. - but most notably: PR.

Until they say something more specific it might only appear as (possibly) on hold from a public perspective.

They did say, after all, that "the studio is not ready to comment".

They didn't say that it was actually "on hold".

Though... if they did, please share the source. I'd like to know for sure if the word is out either way.

Thanks!

Th3Professor
July 27th, 2008, 04:52 AM
<thread revival>...love stargate...</thread revival>

Okay... just a few more days before the official release of SG Continuum!

Several people have already seen the downloaded (bootleg), though hopefully people will purchase the video... the further support would be awesome... hopefully SG will still proceed with the "Universe" project. :D

uberlube
July 27th, 2008, 04:54 AM
I hope that they make a new stargate movie based on the original and not the series.

Th3Professor
July 27th, 2008, 05:30 AM
I hope that they make a new stargate movie based on the original and not the series.

I'd like to see more SG movies based off the series, though would also definitely really like to see a new Stargate movie (or movies) based off the original Stargate movie.

There was that "internet rumor" a long time ago about there being either 1 or 2 sequels to the original SG (1994) movie, though those rumors were zipped up with more (rumor-based, so who knows) word saying that any supposed plans of sequels were canceled.

Who knows... regardless... it'd be cool!

Foster Grant
July 28th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I'd like to see more SG movies based off the series, though would also definitely really like to see a new Stargate movie (or movies) based off the original Stargate movie.

There was that "internet rumor" a long time ago about there being either 1 or 2 sequels to the original SG (1994) movie, though those rumors were zipped up with more (rumor-based, so who knows) word saying that any supposed plans of sequels were canceled.

Who knows... regardless... it'd be cool!

Won't happen. The movie and the TV series are part of the same continuity, so the series is the sequel.

Th3Professor
July 28th, 2008, 06:20 AM
Won't happen. The movie and the TV series are part of the same continuity, so the series is the sequel.

Actually, yeah that's right... I never really thought about the continuity of it... comparing the '94 movie to the '97+ tv series.

However... :twisted:... they do play with continuity quite a bit even within the series, aka time travel, alternate time-lines, etc.

They could pull somethin' like, such-and-such goes back in time - after the '94 movie but before the pilot episode to the '97+ series - and stops everything from happening as it happened these past 11+ years... then open the window of opportunity for the '94 movie to have its own sequels, free of the "continuity" of the TV series. :D

However, would they do that? I seriously doubt it, especially after their screwing around with the continuity so much anyway, throughout the series but also big-time within the most recent "Continuum" movie.

Th3Professor
August 5th, 2008, 02:06 AM
continuum's out on dvd now, anybody see it yet?

Scotty Bones
August 5th, 2008, 03:43 AM

Sweet. It looks like they will be starting it next episode. They replaced Weir with the Fran character???? Gotta wait 2 freaken weeks...err.

Th3Professor
August 5th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Sweet. It looks like they will be starting it next episode. They replaced Weir with the Fran character???? Gotta wait 2 freaken weeks...err.

...wait, next *episode*? Is SGA already airing again?

flytripper
August 5th, 2008, 08:50 AM
i found continuum to be better written than the ark of truth..

my fave moment is when they all say "indeed" to Teal'c.

billgoldberg
August 5th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Am I the only one thinking the new season of SGA really sucks?

The chemistry is gone.

Bring on Stargate Universe!

billgoldberg
August 5th, 2008, 09:40 AM
...wait, next *episode*? Is SGA already airing again?

Episode 4 of the new season already aired.

Th3Professor
August 5th, 2008, 11:17 AM
i found continuum to be better written than the ark of truth..

my fave moment is when they all say "indeed" to Teal'c.

Indeed! :D

Am I the only one thinking the new season of SGA really sucks?

The chemistry is gone.

Bring on Stargate Universe!

Yeah, SGU would be nice. Very nice. And wow I hope they root it back to Earth. I know they'll be going off to even *other* galaxies, way way far away, though that shouldn't stop them from keeping Earth in the main flow of the story. (I hope!)

I think one thing about SGA that's lost that chemistry is a combination of attempting to recreate story concepts that were already covered in any of the 10 years of SG1.... and that they've uprooted things too much from the originals. They really need to incorporate more association between old and new if they want to give it some momentum.

The actors faces, within the episodes, sometimes even seem to portray something of a, "when will this series finally be over?"

I was more optimistic during the previous season, though am disappointed again in what they're producing now.

Episode 4 of the new season already aired.

As soon as I saw that and replied, I looked it up and surely enough it's already into the season, so I went ahead and grabbed the new episodes. Just scanning through them, so far, has left a bad taste in my mouth.

I really hope SGA either: (A) Drastically improves; or (B) just wraps up the series. I'm actually hoping more for <B>, I'd really like to see SGU.

Th3Professor
August 11th, 2008, 05:58 AM
SG Universe, the upcoming tv series (after SGA concludes) is definitely in "early stages of development". Someone mentioned in a previous reply in here how MGM said it's on hold. Though MGM actually said they wouldn't "comment" at that time (this was in March). It turns out, in April, the producers were telling us that it definitely is in the early stages of development.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/04/istargate_universei_revealed.shtml

And there appears to be studio support for it as well, though the budget is too high to run simultaneously with SGA (apparently a bigger budget than SGA, I'm hoping it definitely is a bigger budget). In any case, they're currently saying that they won't start filming for "SGU" until February 2009. So if they do that, I suppose that means they'll cutting SGA off soon.

So, if they start filming for SGU in early '09, which is currently 6 months from now, and if they conclude SGA before starting SGU, would that mean that SGA's current season - five - is their final season?

The last episode of season 5 is, I think, their 100th episode. The producers say it won't be a comedy episode (like SG1's 100th) but will have some powerful stuff going on. If the SG people do in fact start SGU in about a year, then it would be ideal to end the SGA series a powerhouse 100th episode.

My hunch is that 100th will at least sneak in some kind of introduction to SGU.

We shall see.

Th3Professor
August 14th, 2008, 03:23 AM
...okay, regarding the current season of SGAtlantis, I stand corrected... I mentioned earlier that I was basically disappointed in some aspects of the show, though that was based on only skimming (skipping) through the most recent episodes. We recently saw the episodes straight through and it turns out they are actually pretty good! :) I still wouldn't classify them as "the best of SG" (as far as the SG tv series go), yet you can tell there are a lot of pretty decent minor plot teasing going, successfully so. It still does have somewhat of an "old outdated rotten milk" kind of aftertaste, yet for big SG fans it's still something to just keep going back to and watching more. It's addicting - good or bad.

[...that... and I'm also trying to keep this thread on life-support, hoping that more SG fans will also help keep this thread alive. lol] ;)

Th3Professor
August 15th, 2008, 06:04 AM
Anybody familiar with "Stargate Worlds" MMORPG?

schauerlich
August 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Anybody familiar with "Stargate Worlds" MMORPG?

Maybe if you need to keep it on life support that's a sign that it's time for this thread to die.

Th3Professor
August 15th, 2008, 06:23 AM
<sigh>
yeah... maybe... however... there is still an occasional fellow SG fan chiming in. :)

Anyway back to my ?... anybody familiar w/ sg'worlds' mmorpg? Is it already out? Going to be released? Not going to be?

billgoldberg
August 15th, 2008, 09:38 AM
...okay, regarding the current season of SGAtlantis, I stand corrected... I mentioned earlier that I was basically disappointed in some aspects of the show, though that was based on only skimming (skipping) through the most recent episodes. We recently saw the episodes straight through and it turns out they are actually pretty good! :) I still wouldn't classify them as "the best of SG" (as far as the SG tv series go), yet you can tell there are a lot of pretty decent minor plot teasing going, successfully so. It still does have somewhat of an "old outdated rotten milk" kind of aftertaste, yet for big SG fans it's still something to just keep going back to and watching more. It's addicting - good or bad.

[...that... and I'm also trying to keep this thread on life-support, hoping that more SG fans will also help keep this thread alive. lol] ;)

The latest episodes (where they were jumping trough alternate realities) was actually pretty good.

I've been watching SG-1 a lot recently and I must say the character on SGA aren't as good as the ones SG-1 had.

Sheppard is ok but O'neill and even Mitchel were better.

Mckay is great, almost on level with Carter.

Ronan is also pretty good, but Teal'c was 10 times cooler.

And then there is Teyla. I can't stand that character.

Her character is to unbelievable. Who here buys that she can kick a Special Ops guy's *** in close combat? I don't. The writers do apparently.

She makes the show seem to "buffy" like.

And they seem to be missing someone with the charisma Jackson had.

Th3Professor
August 16th, 2008, 10:20 AM
The latest episodes (where they were jumping trough alternate realities) was actually pretty good.

I've been watching SG-1 a lot recently and I must say the character on SGA aren't as good as the ones SG-1 had.

Sheppard is ok but O'neill and even Mitchel were better.

Mckay is great, almost on level with Carter.

Ronan is also pretty good, but Teal'c was 10 times cooler.

And then there is Teyla. I can't stand that character.

Her character is to unbelievable. Who here buys that she can kick a Special Ops guy's *** in close combat? I don't. The writers do apparently.

She makes the show seem to "buffy" like.

And they seem to be missing someone with the charisma Jackson had.

+1 to all of that except I think sometimes Ronan (the actor who plays the part) could use another acting lesson, though I don't know, just an impression I get. Yeah, Teyla would do better at coming off as a *serious* a%%-kicker if her character was... somehow... different.

Th3Professor
August 28th, 2008, 06:10 AM
It's official... big news in the realm of Stargate Atlantis...

http://josephmallozzi.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/dsc002558.jpg?w=500

SGA's wrapping things up...

Here is Mallozzi's blog entry:
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/08/21/august-21-2008-all-good-things/

Excerpts:

"This will be Stargate Atlantis’s fifth and final season."

"On the one hand, I’m sorry to see the series end but, on the other hand, I’m extremely proud of what we’ve accomplished. 100 episodes is pretty damn impressive feat and, as evidenced by the quality of recent stories and the uptick in the ratings, we’ll be going out on a high."

"Episode 20, Enemy at the Gate, will mark our 100th episode and, contrary to online speculation, we will not be ending things with a cliffhanger. Regardless of whether we got the pick-up or not, we had always planned a clean conclusion to our 100th episode, one that would hopefully leave fans satisfied yet eager for more."

"And that “more” will come in the form of the Stargate Atlantis movie…"

"...the network has greenlit the movie and we do have a terrific idea in mind."

Th3Professor
August 31st, 2008, 08:27 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/graphics/features/universe_hasago_m.jpg

SGU update...

From Hollywood Reporter, August 22, 2008:

They're saying the new tv series is definitely going to happen -

"Sci Fi Channel isn't about to let down 'Stargate' fans."

"The network is set to announce the order of a new series from MGM Television, 'Stargate: Universe,' that will mark the third entry in Sci Fi's longest-running original series franchise."

"The 'Universe' pickup ensures the continuation of the popular 'Stargate' franchise, which has been on the air in various incarnations since 1997."

"'Universe' will premiere as a two-hour movie early next year and will assume a regular hourly slot in the summer."

"Brad Wright and Robert Cooper, co-creators of 'Stargate: SG-1' and 'Atlantis,' will serve as executive producers and writers on the new series."

More info on what the new show is about -

"The new show will involve more space-based action than 'SG-1' or 'Atlantis.' With the 'Star Trek' television franchise having folded in 2005 and Sci Fi's 'Battlestar Galactica' airing its final episodes next year, the network hopes 'Universe' will become sci-fi fans' new favorite space-travel series."

(I have to admit, I'm glad the previous SG shows were not so space-travel heavy in the past, considering the emphasis on space-travel in shows like Trek or BSG. With the turn of events in sci-fi type tv series, it is an optimal time to put future SG shows into more of the space-travel type settings/milieus.)

Regarding "space operas", as with BSG, and in reference to the upcoming SGU -

"'There's an opportunity to keep the space opera as part of our programming strategy.'"

Additional plot concepts for SGU -

"'Universe' introduces a team of explorers who find an ancient unmanned ship called the Destiny. Unable to return to Earth, the crew must fend for themselves aboard the ship, which hasa preprogrammed mission taking them to the far reaches of the universe."

"The series will employ a new cast of characters, with the network seeking a known performer for one lead role and fresh faces to play the rest of the ship's crew. Appearances by former cast members from "SG-1" and "Atlantis" are very possible."

"...the new series will ...(target) a younger audience."

(I only hope they don't make it into some kind of "Sunday morning special" with an emphasis on only children - though I'm not sure exactly what they mean by "younger audience" - hopefully it'll still be enjoyable for the whole family.)

"'...with a cast that gives it a younger vibe.'"

(Perhaps they mean to say that the cast of SG1 and SGA are "too old"? Maybe the cast will be in their 20s, considering most of the cast of the current/previous SG shows have generally been in their 30s or even 40s... yet that doesn't make it any better or worse. Perhaps their intention is to simply bring in a younger audience in attempt to give the ongoing SG experience more longevity.)

Wright & Cooper said -

"In 'Universe,' we plan to keep those elements that have made the franchise a success, such as adventure and humor, while breaking new ground in the relationships between mostly young and desperate explorers, thrust together and far from home. Above all, we believe the Stargate itself remains an enduring icon with infinite potential as a jumping-off point for telling stories."

Stuck off-world, mostly "on-ship", exploring other-worlds, experiencing other-baddies... maybe they'll let the SGU series eventually include Earth into the mix - similar to how Earth eventually discovered a means of obtaining continued contact between the SGC and Atlantis (via ships, extended space-gate networks between galaxies, obtaining necessary power sources to achieve these). Hopefully!

Regarding other Sci Fi channel shows to balance out the mix with SGU for next year (next summer) -

"The network has three pilots under consideration, including the terrestrial-bound 'Battlestar Galactica' prequel 'Caprica.'"

That could potentially be pretty cool - a non-space-travelling BSG spin-off. It'd certainly be appropriate with the timing of how all of the recent sci-fi type tv shows are turning out, BSG having recently landed on Earth (transitioning from space-travel adventures to planet-bound adventures, even if it's the Caprica prequel instead) and SG soon discovering the 2 ships off in space (transitioning from the mostly planet-bound adventures to more space-travel adventures). It's a nice balance. And there's no doubt that those 2 franchises are currently the most popular.

From Gateworld, August 22, 2008:

"New Stargate Series Targeted For Summer 2009 Premiere."

"Production on the first season of Stargate Universe, a weekly series based on the popular Stargate franchise, will begin in early 2009, with the show targeted to premiere that Summer."

Mark Stern, of the Sci Fi channel, says -

"'SCI FI has enjoyed tremendous success with "Stargate SG-1" and "Stargate Atlantis" and we're proud to be the home of the new "Stargate Universe."'"

"'"Universe" will continue the Stargate legacy of vibrant storylines and compelling adventures, but will re-invent the format in a whole new way.'"

Charles Cohen, of MGM, says -

"'"Stargate Universe" will continue the longstanding relationship between MGM's stellar science fiction franchise and cable's premiere destination for all passionate science fiction fans.'"

More info on the plot to SGU -

"After unlocking the mystery of the Stargate's ninth chevron, a team of explorers travels to an unmanned starship called the Destiny, launched by The Ancients at the height of their civilization as a grand experiment set in motion, but never completed."

"What starts as a simple reconnaissance turns into a never ending mission, as the 'Stargate Universe' crew discovers the ship is unable to return to Earth, and they mustnow fend for themselves aboard the Destiny."

"The crew will travel to the far reaches of the universe, connecting with each of the previously launched Stargates, thus fulfilling the Destiny's original mission. Challenges will arise though as the ship comes into range of Stargates placed centuries ahead of the Destiny and the crew is unable to control the ship's navigational schedule. If someone is left behind, there is no way to go back for them, adding to the drama of encountering new races, enemies and adventures."

Regarding SGU's debut -

"'Stargate Universe' will debut as a two-hour movie event on SCI FI. Following its premiere, Universe will assume a regular hourly slot in Summer 2009."

Links:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i5e840c8f576b9c7dae541d2e4be7a3e4

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/sci_fi_green-lights_istargate_un.shtml

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/istargate_universei_has_a_go2.shtml

An SGU logo is attached, though I doubt it is/will be the official one.

terabyte1
August 31st, 2008, 10:44 PM
Ahh now your talking!

The wormhole is really too much of a hint of reality for comfort - if you've ever had an NDE ... you will know what I mean...

Stargate the first film I've seen - Wonderful!

The series I've got - its ok.

the second film I haven't seen yet - Is it good???

Terabyte:guitar:

Th3Professor
September 1st, 2008, 05:16 PM
Near death experience? Yes... though I can honestly say I haven't had an NDE with a wormhole. ;) Or is "NDE" something from SG that I just forgot about? :)

They're starting to make SG movies, at least the direct-to-dvd variety, as if they were their own "tv series". lol There are currently 2 new SG movies, with an additional 1+ in preproduction.

The rundown for SG on screen basically is -

Stargate (1994) movie
Stargate SG1 (1997-2007) tv show
Stargate Atlantis (2004-2009) tv show
Stargate - The Ark of Truth (2008 ) movie
Stargate - Continuum (2008 ) movie
Stargate Universe (2009) tv show
Stargate Atlantis movie or movies (2009 or later)
...and probably more SG-this and SG-that. :)

Regarding movies... after the original '94 movie...

Ark of Truth = basically a really long episode, kind of like a traditional "movie" in quality but more like a very very good "tv episode" that's 2x longer. This wraps up the SG1 tv series focusing on and wrapping up the main plot line that takes place during the last couple years of SG1 (the Ori).

I'd recommend watching the rest of the SG1 tv series before watching Ark of Truth, though you could probably be fine watching seasons 8-10, or 9-10, or perhaps even just season 10. The movie picks up from the 2nd to last episode of the last season (the last episode of the last season was more of a "farewell" episode).

Continuum = this is more of a movie-quality movie, has that movie-feel, albeit still on a smaller budget than the big-time movies, it's very very good in the sense of a stand-alone movie that doesn't necessarily depend directly on any of the specific episodes from the SG1 tv series. However, it still uses main plot ideas that occurred throughout all 10 years of the tv show (using the goa'uld as the main baddies). They say a few things in it that bring non-gaters up-to-date with the realm of SG.

I'd also suggest watching the SG1 series before watching the Continuum movie, however you technically don't have to watch anything SG before seeing this movie. They do a pretty good job with subtley introducing plot lines that were 10 years in the making. There is a direct connection between the plot of Continuum and the most recent goa'uld-related plots (or subplots) of the final seasons of the SG1 series, though it's still a "stand-alone" movie.

If someone has only seen the original, Stargate (1994), and then they go to see the 2008 Stargate Continuum movie, they will notice some pretty major changes. The main changes being in the cast, which is probably an obvious/given, and in how exactly the goa'uld inhabits a human body. The end of the '94 movie showed Ra as a humanoid-like alien inside the entire human body (like an x-ray) before the ka-boom. The SG1-version consists of a snake-like alien inside just the brain of the human. There is a great part of Continuum where the goa'uld system lord, Ba'al (or just Baal), makes a remark to another goa'uld, "or was that just off the top of your head?" (I'll stop there so I won't spoil it but it's a *great* scene). That's another big change, there has basically been an evolution of the entire SG universe - from good guys to bad guys to settings/milieus and more - though they do a good job at filling in the SG(1994) viewer on those updates.

Ark of Truth is different - one really needs to see the SG1 tv series (or the seasons with the Ori plot) before seeing the movie.

We're excited to see an Atlantis movie or movies, we're hoping it'll be more "movie-quality" like Continuum and less "extended tv episode" quality like Ark of Truth. However, if they make 2 SGA movies, one as a tv-like flick that wraps up the SGA tv series, that'd be nice; and one like a real movie that can stand alone, that'd be great.

My only concern for the SGU tv series is that they'll go too young with their "younger cast" - as in SG1's episode 200 (or maybe it was episode 100), where they had the teenager versions of themselves in a satirical take on the show as "Wormhole Xtreme". If the SGU cast is in their mid to late 20s, that'd be the ideal "young cast". Any younger and it turns into a joke... too much of one. Although SG tv shows have both serious and funny stuff, going too young will be like a bad joke or getting that bad taste in your mouth that won't go away... or not being able to get that horrible song out of your head. Otherwise, everything else they've been saying about the new Stargate Universe tv series sounds like it'll be a lot of fun to watch.

I just realized that the Stargate Universe tv series, 2009, will be the 15-year anniversary of the Stargate franchise, 1994! Cool!

Th3Professor
November 18th, 2008, 06:55 AM
<bump> ...because it's Stargate... </bump> ;)

eternalnewbee
November 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I loved the movie, loved Startgate SGC until Capt. O'neill left, and I love Stargate Atlantis.

3rdalbum
November 18th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I liked the Doci (from the Ori) and that firewall he was talking to.

"Open port 6835 - I want to download some movies!" :-D

I started watching Stargate SG1 late, but I started off with the reruns of the first few series. And then the station kinda skipped forward to the new serii, and things got more difficult for me to follow and I stopped watching.

I saw that Stargate SG1 was on SciFi channel, and it must've been the absolute latest series. I had no idea what was going on, and the format of the show had changed so it was almost an unrecognisable show.

I didn't like Atlantis. The characters annoyed me.

Stargate Universe sounds like something they could pull off brilliantly, but if they're not careful they could ******** it up.

Th3Professor
November 18th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I think they pulled their bad card with SGA - they'll more than likely do well with SGU. (...or... I at least have faith in them that they will.) ;)

SCIFI is showing all SG-1 episodes now, though I believe they're currently in season 6. Chances are they will reset the entire 10 years, airing year 1 again, once they make it through the series. I think they air SG-1 every weeknight, so it shouldn't be too long. If you didn't get into it because they jolted from old SG-1 to new SG-1, then you will most likely get another chance at watching it from "A to Z" when SCI-FI resets the series again. :)

We're only about 6 months or so away from Stargate Universe now!
:guitar:

...oh, I'm watching SG-1 again (marathon, again)... currently on season 1, the episode "Thor's Hammer"... cool episode... Darth Vader (voice) - James Earl Jones - plays the voice of the Unas.

luceerose
November 27th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Can't wait for SGU.
And there will be SGA movies ?...YESSS !! | Awesome.

I like the whole 'off-world' thing. When they have their feet planted firmly on extra-terrestrial turf.
I do like a good special-effects-ridden extra-orbital dogfight,
but too much time in space & it does get a bit treky (never liked StarTrek, though Voyager was OK).
And I don't like when they concentrate on earth too much, like it's the centre of the universe or something.
I like Atlantis for being a little less terra-centric than SG-1.

The whole Ori thing was pretty kool, though personality-wise I like my enemies a lot more cold, calculating & intelligent. The pryors were just a bunch of morons that believed & followed the first thing that was dropped in their laps.
The gua'uld were better intelligence-wise, though technology-wise I fail to see why the system lords didn't fall millennia before they did.

They really should do another series, or two, or three.., or....yeah.
I want to see Daniel Jackson with his own command in a galaxy other than Milky Way or Pegasus.
Such series could incorporate the occasional upgrade in gate system, working towards gate bridges between many different galaxies (just like the Pegasus<<<|>>>Earth gate bridge thingy). Which could, of course lead to a few more spin-offs. Yes Please.

Oh, and Supergates are kool.

Stargate is my fave <sci-fi>concept/series/whatever</sci-fi> of all time.

luceerose
November 27th, 2008, 01:03 PM
And one more thing...
The end of SG-1... What a load of crap. I liked it & everything but, as far as I'm concerned, they stuffed up on one pretty huge detail.

Here's the thing;
Everything they ever did in SG-1 was always clearly & thoroughly explained with valid physics (or at the very least theoretically valid physics).

Exactly how the $#*! did Sam Carter reverse time ???

As far as I'm concerned, time reversal is the one thing that was always deemed physically impossible throughout the entirety of Stargate's physics.
Yet Sam just went ahead and did it with absolutely no explanation to the audience whatsoever.
And it was so uncharacteristic of Carter to not get excited and blab to everyone every step of the way about her new groundbreaking theory.

This remains the one & only thing I can recall throughout the whole of Stargate that remains unexplained.

Th3Professor
November 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Can't wait for SGU.

ditto :)

And there will be SGA movies ?...YESSS !! | Awesome.

ditto

but too much time in space & it does get a bit treky (never liked StarTrek, though Voyager was OK).

If SGU is anything like Bevery Hills 90210 (if they get extremely young cast) or Star Trek Voyager (if they are so space-bound they they rarely go to different worlds)... which reminds me, it also sounds a bit like BSG, lol, "Stargate Galactica" or "Battlestargate"... if it's anything like any of those, then it'll be overkill. We can hope that the producers, cast/crew, etc. of SGUniverse make it "right" according to at least the majority of SG fans.

And I don't like when they concentrate on earth too much, like it's the centre of the universe or something.

Actually, although Earth != our universe's spotlight, I still really enjoyed how SG-1 had several episodes directly involving or spotlighting Earth. It's easier to relate to the stories and feel connected to a science fiction environment with the occasional associations of that nature. Actually, some of my favorite SGA episodes have been the ones where they incorporate more of Earth into the story, as with the recent episode when the McKeller duo went to Earth to save the day from an even more egotistical/self-centered scientist's ill-conceived plot to "save the world" from global warming. Can anyone say, "Freeze Lightning"? :D

I like Atlantis for being a little less terra-centric than SG-1.

Although I really enjoy the Earth involvement in SG-1, I also enjoy the less-Earth-involvement of SGA. It certainly made for a nice variety. If you look at the overall series arches from SG-1 to SGA to SGU (as far as what we know of SGU so far, at least), it looks like they did (or might do, via SGU) something like:

SG-1:
Earth = 40%
Other-worlds = 50%
Atlantis = 1%
Outer-space = 9%

SGA:
Earth = 1%
Other-worlds = 45%
Atlantis = 39%
Outer-space = 15%

And, speculatively speaking only for the new Stargate series...

SGU:
Earth = 1%
Other-worlds = 5%
Atlantis = 1%
Outer-space = 93%

Of course, I'm only guessing on SGU. I only hope they don't seriously put over 90% of the tv show in outer-space. I like the idea of 50%, still touching base with Earth and Atlantis in a couple special episodes (like SG-1 did with Atlantis and SGA did with Earth), and otherwise the other ~48% of it on "other-worlds". Or, at the very worst, something like 2/3 space, 1/3 worlds. I'm really burnt out on the whole 99%-outer-space-based stories from Battlestar Galactica. lol

Another look at those % guesses above...

Earth:
40% --> 1% --> "1%"

Other-worlds:
50% --> 45% --> "5%"

Atlantis:
1% --> 39% --> "1%"

Outer-space:
9% --> 15% --> "93%"

Even if my percentages are off, the general idea is still pretty close. You can see that of the 3 tv series: the 1st series gets more Earth, the 2nd series gets more Atlantis, and the 3rd series hypothetically gets more outer-space.

There's also been something of a gradual transition from the beginning, back in 1994 (or 1997 if counting the tv series instead of the original movie), to 2009, with a little bit of space-stuff to a whole heck of a lot of space-stuff.

We essentially went from 0% outer-space stuff to what will probably be around 90% outer-space stuff. I'm still hoping they don't put that much % into outer-space with Stargate Universe.

Though, that's all just speculation and hoping that the SG gang puts more of the "old" into the "new" than what they're advertising.

They made it clear they're targeting a new audience, which is great, though they shouldn't neglect the previous audiences (those most loyal to SGA, or those most loyal to SG-1, or even those most loyal to Stargate, the '94 movie).

The whole Ori thing was pretty kool, though personality-wise I like my enemies a lot more cold, calculating & intelligent. The pryors were just a bunch of morons that believed & followed the first thing that was dropped in their laps.

Not entirely true... the Ori forced their religion, even onto the people who eventually became the high priest-type figures. Although, I am sure that there was such a devout following by the time Origin had "evolved" that there was no longer need to force it, at least within their own galaxy. That wasn't enough for them, so they had to interfere with our galaxy and do their bible-beating here. lol

Off the top of my head, I can recollect a very basic history of the race of the Ancients within the Stargate tv series continuity.

In the beginning there were humans...

...they advanced...

...they evolved...

...they discovered ascension...

...they split ways, one side for science (whom we now refer to as the "Ancients"), one side for religion (whom we now refer to as the "Ori")...

...they were in conflict (see the 1st 5 minutes of "Ark of Truth")...

...they part ways, each basically lives in their own galaxy/galaxies (separate from each other)...

...the Ancients don't interfere that much...

...the Ori interfere quite a bit...

...through the millennia, humans in the Ancient's galaxy (galaxies) develop various mythologies and folklore based off the ascended...

...through the millennia, humans in the Ori's galaxy (galaxies?) were "convinced" to believe in the Origin religion, or die and perish in "eternal damnation"...

...Jackson and Vala play a little game of intergalactic body-swap with a couple of rebels from the Ori's galaxy...

...the Ori invade our galaxy...

...we (eventually) kick their a$$...

...all is well, for now. ;)

So, did the people of the Origin faith fall for it like a bunch o' dummies? In the beginning, no. Thousands of years later, yes and no. Those who still didn't fall for it were either killed off or had to keep it secret for survival.

The gua'uld were better intelligence-wise, though technology-wise I fail to see why the system lords didn't fall millennia before they did.

What do ya mean about the system lords not falling way back then?

Such series could incorporate the occasional upgrade in gate system,

It is pretty cool what the SG shows have done with the stargates.

working towards gate bridges between many different galaxies (just like the Pegasus<<<|>>>Earth gate bridge thingy).

Didn't they basically "retire" (or "decommission") that bridge in SGA? I'm not sure. I forget... though I think there was an episode where they were talking about how they no longer need/use the bridge now that they have spaceships like the Daedalus or similar.

Though, I'm guessing that if they're going to use all 9 chevrons on the stargate then they'll probably come up with the new version of the ZPM, something that basically makes the ZPM look like 9-volt battery in comparison. <grin> Along with the new power source, they'll probably be able to use 8 chevrons as an everyday thing, similar to how the 7 chevrons have always been used everyday. (Guessing.)

With that, the use of gate bridges could be applied on a much larger scale and what was previously used as gate bridges might no longer be necessary.

Which could, of course lead to a few more spin-offs. Yes Please.

More SG tv series, definitely, yet with less of the "spin-off" feel to them (even if that's what they inevitably will be, regardless).

SGA feels like a spin-off of SG-1. The producers have said that they're basically trying to avoid that "spin-off feel" with SGU. I hope they succeed.

Oh, and Supergates are kool.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see at least a little more of the supergates in SGU. That would rock.

Stargate is my fave <sci-fi>concept/series/whatever</sci-fi> of all time.

ditto ...glad to see another SG fan posting in this thread. lol I'm surprised there aren't more! These are ubuntu/linux forums, aka magnet for computer geeks, aka magnet for sci-fi geeks (like me, lol).

And one more thing...
The end of SG-1... What a load of crap. I liked it & everything but, as far as I'm concerned, they stuffed up on one pretty huge detail.

I disagree. I thought they did a wonderful job ending the SG-1 tv series. The primary plot of the last couple years of SG-1, as it involves the Ori (and more recently, Adria), turned into a cliff-hanger on the second-to-last episode, which is a great catalyst for making SG-1 movies. The final episode of SG-1 was done quite well, it served as a great "farewell" more than anything, worth viewing with an open-mind to the old and new of the overall Stargate continuity (including reversing time).

Exactly how the $#*! did Sam Carter reverse time ???

Of the over 200 episodes, there have been other episodes, I'm sure, that have broken the "rules" of SG. Actually, I'm not sure that there ever was a rule in SG continuity stating that reversing time cannot be done.

Check out the advanced races, like the Tollans, who have licked the science of us "primitive" Earthlings, and proven our own ideas of science to be misconstrued and incorrect (especially the science that Carter knows), if not elementary at best.

Plus, it's sci-fi. lol And the SG-style sci-fi has always been one known to break its own rules.

And it was so uncharacteristic of Carter to not get excited and blab to everyone every step of the way about her new groundbreaking theory.

Remember that she was like 70+ years old at the time... old age will have an effect on exactly how someone gets excited or if they'll blab to everyone about it. It was also after General Landry died (of old age) and the general attitude of those remaining on the ship (in the time bubble thing) was resolved at just living their days out until they, too, died of old age.

It was, I believe, when Carter saw Jackson in that room with all the alien/Asgard language displayed, when she asked why he still bothered - and he said for his sanity, basically - that I believe she received the spark to try again (when, at that point, she had completely given up).

She got that second wind, and figured it out, though it was the feeling of "we waited too long for this", even if it was a problem solved.

:D

This remains the one & only thing I can recall throughout the whole of Stargate that remains unexplained.

Oh I dunno, I think many things are unexplained. How 'bout those Furlings? lol There's more, I'm sure... the mystery that SG leaves us with many of their stories is also another element that makes it so darn good. We don't always get the answers. We are left with some things that are unexplained, and that's a good thing.

If they did explain something like that reversing-time bit in their last episode, then it might have added just a little bit too much resolution, as if it was truly the end of the SG shows (as in no more "spin-offs" after SGA). Who knows what the producers and writers were thinking when they decided to omit the reverse-time explanation. Maybe they just didn't want to bother. haha Maybe they did it on purpose and liked the idea of leaving people hanging on that bit.

luceerose
November 30th, 2008, 08:34 AM
...glad to see another SG fan posting in this thread. lol I'm surprised there aren't more! These are ubuntu/linux forums, aka magnet for computer geeks, aka magnet for sci-fi geeks (like me, lol).

I would describe myself as a death metal guitarist with iq~170 with a penchant for computing & technology and whose first love was astrophysics.
Computer geek, Sci-fi geek, sure, why not. There all compliments to me.
Just don't talk to me about sports or religion.:biggrin:

Though, I'm guessing that if they're going to use all 9 chevrons on the stargate then they'll probably come up with the new version of the ZPM, something that basically makes the ZPM look like 9-volt battery in comparison. <grin> Along with the new power source, they'll probably be able to use 8 chevrons as an everyday thing, similar to how the 7 chevrons have always been used everyday. (Guessing.)

With that, the use of gate bridges could be applied on a much larger scale and what was previously used as gate bridges might no longer be necessary.

Fantastic. Great thinking. New power supply. Make intergalactic gating problem-free.
Given that, here's an idea;
SG-1 essentially concentrated on the SGC on Earth.
SGA essentially concentrated on the Atlantis base.
Hmmm...
Why not have multiple bases.=D>
With intergalactic gating at your everyday disposal why not have a series that spotlights two or three or more bases across different galaxies. With constant team interaction between bases it wouldn't even seem like 2 or 3 different sets of characters. Each galaxy with it's own set of problems, own set of enemies, different races, and different learning experiences from each.
This could even be a totally separate series with occasional interaction with the SGU crew. The possibilities here are endless.

Of course, with this power supply, would we be talking about something at the level of, or even beyond asgard technology ?

If SGU is anything like Bevery Hills 90210 (if they get extremely young cast) or Star Trek Voyager (if they are so space-bound they they rarely go to different worlds)... which reminds me, it also sounds a bit like BSG, lol, "Stargate Galactica" or "Battlestargate"... if it's anything like any of those, then it'll be overkill. We can hope that the producers, cast/crew, etc. of SGUniverse make it "right" according to at least the majority of SG fans.

I really hated BSG.

I want to see Daniel Jackson with his own command in a galaxy other than Milky Way or Pegasus.

I will be forever repeating myself on this until Michael Shanks complies.
I want to see Daniel Jackson with his own command.
I won't take no for an answer.
Who's with me ?

Th3Professor
November 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Given that, here's an idea;
SG-1 essentially concentrated on the SGC on Earth.
SGA essentially concentrated on the Atlantis base.
Hmmm...
Why not have multiple bases.=D>

That would be cool! :D

I wonder where the SGU HQ will be... onboard a ship? That would make sense, considering "Atlantis" is not just a city but also a spaceship, and the SGU headquarters would just happen to be continuing its perpetual motion birthing more stargates on more new worlds (rather than parked on the nearest convenient planet). However, unless they do a spectacular job at making the base a mobilized ship, I'd feel more comfortable with them actually demobilizing it or otherwise having a separate base that is stationary. Though, that's just what would feel like the natural choice since they went that route with the previous 2 tv series. It does sound like the producers are going to be introducing some pretty fresh ideas, though (at least fresh within the SG universe, no pun intended, lol).

This could even be a totally separate series with occasional interaction with the SGU crew. The possibilities here are endless.

Very true! We are talking UNIVERSE here... which is almost as "grand" as it gets. I'm quite curious what they will do with SGU.

Of course, with this power supply, would we be talking about something at the level of, or even beyond asgard technology ?

Good question. If they introduce the idea of a new power supply to allow all 9 chevrons, then my hunch on Asgard technology would be that even that wouldn't be powerful enough - without a lot of effort, at least - to (at least easily) come up with enough juice for all 9 chevs.

Maybe it'll be a power source from the Ancients themselves? Perhaps a very unique power source that can only be used for one purpose, 9 chevrons, and no other? Or, lol, maybe they'll just daisy-chain about 50+ ZPMs to get enough juice. :D

I'm really curious how they end up discovering the gate address with the 9 chevrons (or, more accurately, 8 chevrons (plus the 1 for point of origin), unless somehow the gate system ends up being designed such that only 1 9-chevron working gate address actually works).

I hope Jackson is involved in the discovery of either the 9-chevron address (perhaps along with Carter) or at least the discovery of the actual Ancient ships that are auto-navigating galaxies and planting stargates. It would be poetic, in a sense, if Jackson was involved, since he discovered the 1st stargate, the 2nd stargate on Earth (to save Carter and O'Neill from freezing to death (back in sg1 season1)), and he also discovered Atlantis and all that. lol

It would be just plain weird - and a bad decision on the producers' behalf - if it turns out Jackson isn't somehow directly involved with the discovery that leads to the SGU tv series. Who knows... we shall see very soon... this summer!

I really hated BSG.

I'm not a huge fan of BSG though enjoy watching it on a surface level, for simply being a sci-fi show that has strong roots. I like the original BSG much more than the current one but, blah, oh well. One thing about the current BSG that can really vex me is that I keep watching it expecting it to get better but it really doesn't. It has some moments where it shines, though even then it feels like an empty shell of a tv show. They've over-extended their attempt at drawing on suspense, leaving people lingering, hanging, so much that they're now just beating a dead horse. Though, that's just my opinion.

I will be forever repeating myself on this until Michael Shanks complies.
I want to see Daniel Jackson with his own command.
I won't take no for an answer.
Who's with me ?

LOL... Sure! I think that'd be cool. I can see it now: Jackson, as leader of his command, orders the non-archeological types to undergo the torture of immersion within mystical and diverse alien cultures. ;)

luceerose
December 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM
Maybe it'll be a power source from the Ancients themselves?

:idea: An experimental power supply the ancients were working on but never completed...

mrgnash
December 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM
I love the Stargate series :D My only gripes are: not enough screentime for Dr. Carolyn Lam (Lexa Doig), and that they killed off Daniel Jackson's hot girlfriend in season one :(

eternalnewbee
December 1st, 2008, 11:58 AM
... I'm surprised there aren't more! These are ubuntu/linux forums, aka magnet for computer geeks, aka magnet for sci-fi geeks (like me, lol)
Stargate Addict and loving it.

luceerose
December 1st, 2008, 02:39 PM
stargate addict and loving it.

+1

luceerose
January 29th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hey Prof,
Do you know anything about Stargate Infinity ?

Th3Professor
March 15th, 2009, 01:18 AM
Wow, I've been on a multiple-month hiatus from ubuntu forums. It's nice to be back. :) (Real life has kept me pretty busy.)

:idea: An experimental power supply the ancients were working on but never completed...

That would make sense, would be a pretty interesting way to go about it, including various pros/cons to the experimental aspect of the power supply.

I love the Stargate series :D My only gripes are: not enough screentime for Dr. Carolyn Lam (Lexa Doig), and that they killed off Daniel Jackson's hot girlfriend in season one :(

Dr. Lam was pretty cool. I agree, I wish they had plenty more of her in the show. It'd be neat to see her in SGU, though it's looking doubtful that any/many cross-overs will play any significant roles in the new show beyond the pilot episode.

Stargate Addict and loving it.

+1

+1

(Yep, ditto, totally... all things Stargate totally rock.)

Hey Prof,
Do you know anything about Stargate Infinity ?

I actually have not seen Infinity. I know it's not canon. It only lasted one season. It apparently did poorly with the ratings but I'm not sure if it's actually any good. I've been looking for it all over the internet - really interested in a torrent of it - but have had no luck so far.

Ms_Angel_D
March 15th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Stargate SG1 Was and Is My Favorite T.V. show of all time! I'm currently in the process of getting all the seasons. I'm still upset at SCI-Fi for canceling it.

I definitly want to give the game a try when it comes out, and I hope that the new show they are working on is good.

Th3Professor
March 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Stargate SG1 Was and Is My Favorite T.V. show of all time! I'm currently in the process of getting all the seasons. I'm still upset at SCI-Fi for canceling it.

I definitly want to give the game a try when it comes out, and I hope that the new show they are working on is good.

SGW has gone through their alpha, f&f, pre-beta, closed beta etc. testing already... their next step is open beta. If you go to http://stargateworlds.com/ you'll be able to sign up and see if they select ya for beta. :) Everyone's crossing their fingers it's officially released (completed) in '09, though at present there is no definite word on what's going to happen next. An executive producer with the entire Stargate franchise said that SGW's having trouble or something like that, though there's no telling what that means. It might also be past tense, hopefully. So, knock-on-wood it becomes the new EverCrack. lol I never played "EQ" or "EQ2" or whatever, though I'd gladly let Stargate Worlds become my own personal ever"crack". :D

s.fox
March 15th, 2009, 03:09 PM
Stargate is okay if you don't take it too seriously in my opinion.

I especially like the one where Carter and Cameron are "out of phase" and can't touch anything. Thankfully this doesn't seem to apply to the floor or they would be falling forever :lolflag:

tjwoosta
March 15th, 2009, 04:01 PM
awesome, awesome show

i have seen every episode of sg1 and atlantis, and ive seen the movies

i just wish there were more to watch

TBOL3
March 15th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I think they named SGU the wrong name. It really should be:
Stargate Voyager.

Anyway, the OP forgot to include Stargate Infinity in the list of Stargate Television shows. Stargate Infinity was a really lame, one season, animated stargate show, which seemed like it was aimed at 8 year old kids, maybe up to 12 years of age.

Th3Professor
March 15th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Stargate is okay if you don't take it too seriously in my opinion.

I especially like the one where Carter and Cameron are "out of phase" and can't touch anything. Thankfully this doesn't seem to apply to the floor or they would be falling forever :lolflag:

SG1 wasn't really intended to be taken too seriously. Though, it's not intended as a comedy either. Stargate SG-1 has a nice mix, a nice variety of elements from various genres.

The other SG productions don't really fit into the exact same category as SG1 as far as the elements of humor are concerned.

awesome, awesome show

i have seen every episode of sg1 and atlantis, and ive seen the movies

i just wish there were more to watch

Stargate Universe, new tv show, is due to air in October '09... only about 6 months (or so) from now.

Stargate Voyager.

Anyway, the OP forgot to include Stargate Infinity in the list of Stargate Television shows. Stargate Infinity was a really lame, one season, animated stargate show, which seemed like it was aimed at 8 year old kids, maybe up to 12 years of age.

The "voyager" remark: that's old news. It has been addressed more times than you could beat a dead horse. The producers have addressed that previous concern. It is no longer a concern. They have assured us that it won't be like Voyager, or 90210, or any other of the plethora of shows people have decided to compare SGU to.

Infinity was left out intentionally for the lack of affiliation with the other SG productions, including but not limited to the fact that it isn't canon.

However... I've been trying to find the Infinity cartoon, like in a torrent, but have had no luck so far. :confused:

kidux
March 15th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Stargate Voyager.
Indeed, this is what I thought when I read the synopsis on the plot. I only hope they a)don't make it a total ripoff of Voyager and b)make it have enough substance to carry it on.

My favourite ep of SG-1 has got to be Window of Time, where Jack and Teal'c get caught in the time loop, even though it's been done in every other major scifi show (Cause and Effect:STTNG; Year of Hell:Voyager; etc).

I loved Vala, and Cameron was a different type of character, but the O'Neil days were by far the best.

I really enjoyed SGA, with the ep where they found the 10,000 year old Elizabeth being one of my fav's.

Both endings for the shows were a bit of a let down. I didn't like how the Asgard just offed themselves, and I wasn't too keen on how quickly the SGA ep ended. Didn't resolve much, and the introduction of wormhole drive felt too much like a cop out.

Overall, it is one of my favourite series and universes.

kamitsukai
March 15th, 2009, 04:42 PM
I think I saw one of those infinity episodes by accident on stage6 once although that part of the DIVX site is now discontinued...

TBOL3
March 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Indeed, this is what I thought when I read the synopsis on the plot. I only hope they a)don't make it a total ripoff of Voyager and b)make it have enough substance to carry it on.

My favourite ep of SG-1 has got to be Window of Time, where Jack and Teal'c get caught in the time loop, even though it's been done in every other major scifi show (Cause and Effect:STTNG; Year of Hell:Voyager; etc).

I loved Vala, and Cameron was a different type of character, but the O'Neil days were by far the best.

I really enjoyed SGA, with the ep where they found the 10,000 year old Elizabeth being one of my fav's.

Both endings for the shows were a bit of a let down. I didn't like how the Asgard just offed themselves, and I wasn't too keen on how quickly the SGA ep ended. Didn't resolve much, and the introduction of wormhole drive felt too much like a cop out.

Overall, it is one of my favourite series and universes.

I don't have sci-fi, so I haven't seen the end to Atlantis yet (come on hulu, put up the second half!!!), but ya, the finale for SG1 was lame. I also thought that the ark of truth was lame. It was like stopping the story, by ramming it into a brick wall, they should have let it go on for one, maybe two (if they found another enemy) seasons.

I'm not one of those people who say Seasons 1-8 of SG1 were good, but 9-10 suck. Rather, I think they're all good (I still prefer 1-8 though). But I do think they should have ended the show at 8, and continued 9-10, as an entirely different show. Really, the whole story was over at 8, with the replicators dead, the Gu'ald no longer at large, they were just starting another story.

Th3Professor
March 15th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I think I saw one of those infinity episodes by accident on stage6 once although that part of the DIVX site is now discontinued...

stage6?

Ms_Angel_D
March 15th, 2009, 08:30 PM
stage6?

Stage6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage6) was a streaming divx website ran by divx similar to youtube, but they shut it down citing that it wasn't a financially viable venture.

Th3Professor
March 16th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Stage6 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage6) was a streaming divx website ran by divx similar to youtube, but they shut it down citing that it wasn't a financially viable venture.

Ahhh... I may have visited the site once or twice when it was up... long time ago, who knows. I wonder if youtube has Infinity.

TBOL3
March 16th, 2009, 04:46 AM
Meh, putting all legal issues aside, it was still a lame series. Don't break the law for it.

swoll1980
March 16th, 2009, 06:05 AM
Stargate was like a train wreck. As horrible as it was, I could not stop my self from watching it.

kidux
March 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
Stargate was like a train wreck. As horrible as it was, I could not stop my self from watching it.

What didn't you like about it?

hkgonra
March 16th, 2009, 08:05 PM
My favourite ep of SG-1 has got to be Window of Time, where Jack and Teal'c get caught in the time loop,....

I think you meant window of opporitunity.

kidux
March 16th, 2009, 08:07 PM
Yeah, it's been a while since I saw it, and I realized my error later but just didn't get back to fix it, lol!

Th3Professor
March 17th, 2009, 12:49 AM

I think you meant window of opportunity. ;) (okay, i'm bored at the moment) :p

Th3Professor
April 30th, 2009, 07:39 PM
with exception to the horrible music in the most recent 'philosophical' teaser trailer, the new show, 'stargate universe', looks like it's going to be pretty cool.

Th3Professor
May 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
STARGATE
UNIVERSE
: - ) a

tjwoosta
May 3rd, 2009, 12:52 AM
when is stargate universe going to be released anyway?

Th3Professor
May 3rd, 2009, 02:33 AM
the new television series, "stargate universe", has a tentative air date of October... with the 2-hour pilot episode potentially airing on either October 2 or October 9... last I heard was possibly October 2.

a lot of people are comparing it to past sci-fi shows, though the writers/producers have said that if any show can be compared to it then perhaps Lost with the camera-work of Firefly.

...though i'd rather not compare it to anything... and just enjoy it for what it is: stargate universe. (it's own entity) :)

Th3Professor
November 30th, 2011, 06:48 AM

Stargate (1994 movie)
Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007 tv series)
Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008 dvd movie)
Stargate: Continuum (2008 dvd movie)
Stargate Atlantis (2004-2009 tv series)
Stargate Universe (2009-2011 tv series)

{...potential future Stargate movies and/or series...}

Anything-Stargate... movies, tv shows, soundtracks, animations/cartoons, novels, comics, computer games, rpg games, comic-cons/conventions, references from other media/shows, etc.

Updated the original post and giving this thread a necro-bump. :popcorn:

Linuxratty
November 30th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Stargate SG-1 (1997-2007 the series was my favorite. I enjoyed the quirky characters and how they played off each other,especially in episodes like Window of Opportunity. The creators were not able to duplicate this in future series and I never really cared for the characters in Atlantis,although the premise was quite good.

Universe was just pathetic. The characters were not interesting,the plot was dismal and I stopped watching as soon as the cross came out of the sand.

I would have enjoyed seeing more done with the Furlies and for them to have kept the humor and quirkiness of the original series.Of course,that would have meant them hiring some really good,interesting actors and actresses,which they were not willing to do.I had the feeling they went for the most boring people they could find for the last series and I just could not be bothered.

The series lost it's spark and never regained it imho.

My favourite ep of SG-1 has got to be Window of Time, where Jack and Teal'c get caught in the time loop, et

That's Window Of Opportunity,mentioned above..It was my favorite ep. of the entire series.

CharlesA
November 30th, 2011, 04:09 PM
They had it going good during SG-1, and somewhat good during Atlantis.

I didn't think I would like Universe that much, but I started watching it when it was on Netflix and thought it was fairly good and had potential, but ScFy decided to axe it.

That being said, I really enjoyed SG-1, but Atlantis grew on me... and so did Universe after a time.

Must be why I have some Stargate collectables on my desk..

jjex22
November 30th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Ah Stargate, my secret shame! we signed up for one of those dvd-a-month magazines for Stargate... gosh 1999 maybe earlier? anyhoo, we've now got the lot from film to Pilot to Atlantis season 3 with nice matching case covers(that's when they finally accepted we were the only flat in the UK still collecting it and gave up!) plus the box sets. The only trouble is because we got a disk a month, in a dvd box with 3 episodes on it, the whole collection is *measuring* 5feet end to end :)

Favorites are definitely series 1-3 SG1 and then Atlantis, then series 4-10 + extras. I got into Universe, but I just can't accept it's Stargate in my mind! Weirdest thing is.. I never liked the stories about the Gouald, the Replicators, the Aurai or the raith ... but I really liked the show - go figure (and no I'm not going to look up how to spell those words!)

Stovey
November 30th, 2011, 06:19 PM
I can understand why some people might not like SGU: it might be called a "Sci-fi-drama".

But I looooove SGU. The characters were super interesting, and I especially liked Greer. He was like the "perfect" soldier, entirely trustworthy and loyal, yet a bit of a loose cannon. Do you want Greer on your team?

I liked the technology with the Kino and the communication stones. The episode where Captain Young traded places with an alien was really creepy.

And the aliens were fantastic, they scared the heck out of me. As did those droids that seek out and destroy technology.

And the whole premise of the show was pretty interesting to me, with the seed ship and the ancients. I guess the theme of trying to get home has been done (eg. StarTrek voyager), but somehow this crew seemed especially desperate. I liked how everything was dark, dirty and gritty; unlike clean spiffy uniforms in the StarTrek universe.

It was interesting to me how civilians got stuck on board. And also the opposing army that tried to take over the ship (who were they again?). Ginn was superhot.

A big disappointment to me when it was cancelled.

Th3Professor
December 6th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I would have enjoyed seeing more done with the Furlies and for them to have kept the humor and quirkiness of the original series.

I think Brad Wright (the shows' co-creator), or maybe it was Robert Cooper, I forget, anyway one of them said, just joking around, that if the Furlings had actually made it to screen (other than the comedic version in episode 200), that they would've ended up looking the complete opposite of how their race's name suggests. Tall, slinder, slithery skinned aliens, or something along those lines. That would've been pretty cool to actually see. (Now that I think about it, either of the main aliens in SGU, the blueberries or the brown versions of them, would've made interesting Furlings.)

The unique humor and quirkiness of SG1 was something that neither SGA nor SGU were ever able to accomplish. The writers said they weren't trying to copy it but they were just in denial when there were the occasional episodes or moments in the other shows when they deliberately tried to copy that classic SG1 humor.

I still like all-things-Stargate (except the cartoon) but I like each show in a different way. Pros/cons to each. Well to SGA & SGU. SG1 was just... perfect. At least in my opinion. lol

(Edit: and can't forget the 1994 original movie, Stargate. Although that didn't get the best reviews, it is still an iconic scifi film, one of my all time favs.)

That being said, I really enjoyed SG-1, but Atlantis grew on me... and so did Universe after a time.

That's also how I came around to liking SGA & SGU. At first, I had no interest in SGA at all. It was just too plastic. I gave it another try and tried to not compare it to SG1 and that made it easier to enjoy. The opposite with SGU, it's like they tried too hard to make it "real" and that just turned me off to it. At first. It took another paradigm shift. It really requires viewing from a fresh perspective, without comparing it to the previous productions.

Though, Stargate SG-1 will always be my #1 favorite of all 3 shows.

dvd-a-month magazines for Stargate

Take really good care of those. That'll be worth $$$ in the future. If not already. :)

Do you want Greer on your team?

Definitely. My fav. 2 characters in SGU were Greer and Rush. I actually liked some of the supporting characters more than some of the lead characters. The lead characters consisted of an ensemble cast of about 8 anyway, which personally I think were way too many.

I think that perhaps one thing that might have earned SGU a 3rd season would've been if they had crammed the entire 1st season into half a season or even 5 episodes, if only to allow for more momentum in the plot. It may have helped if major events that happened going into season 2 would've happened halfway into season 1 and if the events later in season 2 happened earlier in season 2. That's just my opinion. I think the show was good but I'm guessing one reason it got the axe was due to the slower pace, which also gave it a bit of a depressing feeling (very effective for the story, stranded and survival and all that but bad for the series considering the previous productions).

zeljkojagust
December 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Teal'c and O'Neill caught in time loop and juggle with balls... something I will never forget!:P

CharlesA
December 6th, 2011, 02:42 PM
Definitely. My fav. 2 characters in SGU were Greer and Rush. I actually liked some of the supporting characters more than some of the lead characters. The lead characters consisted of an ensemble cast of about 8 anyway, which personally I think were way too many.

Rush was bloody insane.

Teal'c and O'Neill caught in time loop and juggle with balls... something I will never forget!:P

I remember that one. That was pretty funny. I also liked episode 200. :D

Frogs Hair
December 6th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I tried to give SGU a chance , but the dark industrial looking settings made it hard for me to watch at least in episodes I attempted to view. I enjoy the Stargate movie and SG1 reruns .

andras artois
December 6th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Stargate is basically the best Sci-Fi series ever made. 17 seasons and 3/4 films is pretty good.

It's a shame they never carried on Universe. The end of Season 2 was really good. Could definitely be finished off with a film.

I was really hoping for an Atlantis film as well but sadly no :(

zeljkojagust
December 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM
After a good thinking, although my favorite one is SG-1, best SG episode ever for me was second to last in SG Atlantis. It had everything, Johnny Cash in soundtrack, Sheppard meaner than ever (although in other reality) and a story line better than most SF action movies past year 2000. Cooper/Wright lifetime achievement, they couldn't top that, and after that one I knew it's over and I was sad.

And I never gave a chance to SG Universe. I mean I saw couple of first episodes, and I was like; You had Goa'uld, Ori, Wraith, the legends like O'Neill, Teal'c, Sheppard, McKey, Carter, Jackson, a bunch of humor and action and you managed to create THAT!!!

Stargate Universe is an abomination!

andras artois
December 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
After a good thinking, although my favorite one is SG-1, best SG episode ever for me was second to last in SG Atlantis. It had everything, Johnny Cash in soundtrack, Sheppard meaner than ever (although in other reality) and a story line better than most SF action movies past year 2000. Cooper/Wright lifetime achievement, they couldn't top that, and after that one I knew it's over and I was sad.

And I never gave a chance to SG Universe. I mean I saw couple of first episodes, and I was like; You had Goa'uld, Ori, Wraith, the legends like O'Neill, Teal'c, Sheppard, McKey, Carter, Jackson, a bunch of humor and action and you managed to create THAT!!!

Stargate Universe is an abomination!

Although I don't agree with your opinion about Universe, the johnny cash style atlantis episode with sheperd as a detective was amazing. Seriously one of the best episodes. I'd actually really enjoy a small series spin off of it.

Th3Professor
December 8th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Although the writers/producers involved with the SG1/SGA/SGU series are no longer involved - and it looks as though they're finished - with Stargate productions, the original 1994 Stargate film is technically a separate line of continuity, which also opens things up to an additional possibility for reviving the concept.

The original film is actually the only true canon, with the tv shows serving as a split from the original canon.

The shows lasted so long that they pretty much became their own canon, of sorts, but ultimately they're still a colossal spin-off - and clearly separate continuity, by changing some fundamental plot points - of the 1994 Stargate.

And really colossal at that. There are over 250 hours of Stargate in existence to date.

I suspect that Stargate will eventually be brought back to either the big screen and/or small screen, only with different writers and producers.

The 1994 film was, at one point, planned to be made into a movie trilogy. The SG1/etc. shows are finished but their continuity might live on. Writer Bill McCay has his own separate continuity of Stargate with his books, with plots that get into some cat-like alien creatures.

What I'm most curious about is which continuity will the Stargate revival follow?

A) 1994 canon, aka original continuity,

B) SG1/SGA/SGU continuity,

C) The continuity of Bill McCay's novels,

D) A mix of 2 or 3 of the above, or

E) Something else entirely.

hansdown
December 8th, 2011, 01:26 PM
Something entirely different, would be my guess.

CharlesA
December 8th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hrm, I didn't know that the original StarGate movie was supposed to be part of a trilogy.

SG-1 wasn't really canon from the movie, but it did sort of start where the movie left off, albeit with a different cast.

donkyhotay
December 8th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Hrm, I didn't know that the original StarGate movie was supposed to be part of a trilogy.

SG-1 wasn't really canon from the movie, but it did sort of start where the movie left off, albeit with a different cast.

They changed certain points besides the actors. A big one being the location of abydos, in the movie it was in a distant galaxy, in the show it was relatively close to earth in the milky way.

CharlesA
December 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM
They changed certain points besides the actors. A big one being the location of abydos, in the movie it was in a distant galaxy, in the show it was relatively close to earth in the milky way.
Gotcha. I didn't know that either. Lol.

I still think they did a really good job on the all the series (and the three movies!)

Th3Professor
December 9th, 2011, 02:16 AM
Another difference is the alien race that enslaved humans in the original movie was humanoid - similar to the Asgard but definitely not the Asgard (only in sharing somewhat of a physical likeness) - unlike the snake-like aliens in the shows. They were not called Goa'uld in the original movie, that name was created for the shows.

I am curious where the original movie would have gone (or would go) if a trilogy was (or is ever) made out of it.

KaitlinM
December 9th, 2011, 02:28 AM
Gotcha. I didn't know that either. Lol.

I still think they did a really good job on the all the series (and the three movies!)

Hmm, I didn't notice that.

Man, I really wish we could see more of SG1. Not a big fan of SGU--I'm not sure if I want "something entirely different" either. SG1 is better. I have reruns of the old show I can watch, but that's about it.

donkyhotay
December 9th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I am curious where the original movie would have gone (or would go) if a trilogy was (or is ever) made out of it.

I always figured exploring more of abydos would be the way to go. I mean they only explore a small area around the gate. It's like dropping someone in the sahara on earth and assuming thats what the whole earth is like.

CharlesA
December 9th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I always figured exploring more of abydos would be the way to go. I mean they only explore a small area around the gate. It's like dropping someone in the sahara on earth and assuming thats what the whole earth is like.
That would have been an interesting way to do it. It would have made for some interesting encounters. Heh.

donkyhotay
December 9th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Another difference I just thought of, in the movie Ra was the last of his race while in the show his species was very much alive and well. Of course the show could probably blame that discrepancy to unreliable narrator as we don't know who wrote down the story Daniel read and or how the writer found out about it.

Th3Professor
December 11th, 2011, 09:53 AM

That would be pretty cool. They did the same thing - only explore a small area - in almost all of the episodes (with off-world missions) in the Stargate tv shows. There were some stories with a couple countries at war. Unlike the movie, the nature of the shows allowed for hopping from planet to planet. In a movie trilogy, it would be interesting to see another part of the planet in the 2nd, and perhaps something involving both areas combined in the 3rd movie.

One of my favorite aspects of the SG1 stories was when the setting was on Earth. It'd be neat to see the Stargate (1994) continuity have a movie focus largely on events on Earth.

andras artois
December 11th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I really really want to know what happened to Atlantis after it landed and what happens to the crew of Destiny. Them all going into stasis at the end of season 2 was the best possible cliff hanger ever. It has so much room for epicness.

I really hope they finish off universe with a 2 hour film.

CharlesA
December 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I really really want to know what happened to Atlantis after it landed and what happens to the crew of Destiny. Them all going into stasis at the end of season 2 was the best possible cliff hanger ever. It has so much room for epicness.

I really hope they finish off universe with a 2 hour film.

I know what you mean. I still wonder what happened to Eli since he didn't have a stasis pod to use.

Th3Professor
December 11th, 2011, 10:50 PM
test123 ...ah, darn. It'd be nice if the spoiler tags were added to Ubuntu forums. Stargate writer/producer Joe Mallozzi revealed what basically happens in the SGA movie script (that has since been shelved) that follows the end of that series. Though, we'd have to hear from from either Robert Cooper or Brad Wright about what would've happened after SGU's last episode.

Th3Professor
December 14th, 2011, 12:14 PM
The most recent episode of Terra Nova was screaming Stargate all over the place, with the use of that upright ring device with a similar kawoosh effect and, although not traveling through vast distances, it travels through time, which the stargate does in the shows anyway. Yeah. So, the more they use that "portal" the more I can fool myself into getting a quick-fix replica pseudo-gate-like show for my Stargate addiction. lol