PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] PLEASE HELP! Ubuntu doesn't start!

sober
June 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Hi, i'm in great trouble and i hope someone can help me.

Today i uninstalled all of the ALSA drivers from my laptop (HP Pavillion dv6000 AMD Turion 64x2, 1ghz ram, Ubuntu 8.04) with synaptics, checking everything ALSA in there. Then i reinstalled all that and proceeded to reboot but i couldn't start ubuntu!

The system goes to load as usual, but instead of the splash screen where i have to write my username and password, the system doesn't start ubuntu and instead it continues running on the terminal. It says:

Loading, please wait...
usplash: Setting mode 1280x1024 failed
usplash: Setting mode 1152x864 failed
usplash: Using mode 1024x768
kinit: name_to_dev_t (/dev/disk/by-uuid/7c04b86f-811a43b0-abd6-d8476082ce11) = sda5(8,5)
kinit: trying to resume from /dev/disk/by-uuid/7c04b86f-811a43b0-abd6-d8476082ce11
kinit: No resume image, doing normal boot...

Ubuntu 8.04 (user) tty1

(user) login:

So i type my username and password and i get the last login date, and some disclaimers (the programs are free software... )
Aand then "1 failure since last login.
Last was Tue 24 Jun 2008 09:26:48 AM CDT on tty1

then i have the command prompt, and if i type ls i see all my folders and documents. But all this stills on the terminal.

How can i start normally ubuntu? What's the problem?
And if i have to restore or reinstall ubuntu, will i lose all my files? i only have ubuntu in my laptop, not windows at all. Is there some way to burn files from the terminal? I don't have USB ports, and this happened when i was getting ready to backup everything....

Hope someone can help!!!! :confused::(:confused::(

Canis familiaris
June 24th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Try this command and see whether the GUI loads

sudo gdm

AOZ
June 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
this may be completly wrong but when you boot i think ur in your tty1 instead of tty7. so when your in the blank screen terminal thing press ctrl+alt+F7

niyonk
June 24th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Try this command and see whether the GUI loads

sudo gdm

what do you think of sudo apt-get -f install? :-D

or CTRL-ALT-F7?

Canis familiaris
June 24th, 2008, 03:37 PM
what do you think of sudo apt-get -f install? :-D

or CTRL-ALT-F7?
CTRL-ALT-F7 will switch to the GUI only if X is loaded. Maybe it will help.
Yeah if the packages are broken sudo apt-get -f install will work well.

sober
June 24th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the quick answer! I've always said that what makes ubuntu what it is today are the users :)

Well i've tried everything posterd here, i ran sudo apt-get and seemed to install everything, but nothing happens when i press ctrl+alt+f7 (or F anything)... when i use gdm it says command not found....
Do i have to be in a specific directory? bash says it's in my home folder. Or is there any moment in specific during turn-on that i have to do all this¿

Thanks in advance!

sober
June 24th, 2008, 05:46 PM
BTW when i run sudo apt get f install i get:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
debhelper libbeagle1 po-debconf libggzmod4 libtimedate-perl int1tool-debian gettext fceu libggz2 dpkg-dev debconf-utils html12text libggzcore9 python-gdata patch fxload xulrunner-1.9-gnome-support
Use apt-get autoremove to remove them
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded

Still can't use CTRL+ALT+F7 :(

jpeddicord
June 24th, 2008, 05:52 PM
If you're using 8.04, try running:
sudo dexconf
That will reset your X configuration (restart) and hopefully make the display start on next boot.

sober
June 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
If you're using 8.04, try running:
sudo dexconf
That will reset your X configuration (restart) and hopefully make the display start on next boot.

Thanks, but i tried and it didn't work :( nothing happened when i rebooted..

Any more ideas about fixing this? Thanks..

sober
June 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Well so far nothing worked, i've been running the GUI with "startx" altough i need to logout and go back to the terminal... hope someone has any possible solution... thanks