PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] notes and emblems from command line

Mtuxland
June 24th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Hi folks,
I was wondering to know if there is a way to add emblems and notes to a file from the command line interface.

With notes and emblems I mean the tags you can see right clicking on a file and clicking on "properties".

I know it's nautilus feature and that the notes are stored in a xml file in the .nautilus folder, but I'm unable to read/write those informations from bash.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marco

CalderCoalson
September 12th, 2008, 11:16 PM
Emblem information is stored in the ~/.nautilus/metafiles directory. Each directory containing files or folders with custom emblems gets its own file where

/path/to/directory/in/question
takes the form

file:%2Fpath%2Fto%2Fdirectory%2Fin%2Fquestion.xml
in other words, add 'file' to the beginning, and .xml to the end and then replace all forward slashes with '%2F' and you have the file name.

A typical file will look something like this, (I spaced it for ease of reading):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<directory>
<file name=".stuff" timestamp="1220922624"/>
<file name="src" timestamp="1221256781">
<keyword name="package"/>
</file>
<file name="Developer" timestamp="1221256989">
<keyword name="distinguished"/>
</file>
</directory>

Now, notice that both folders within my home folder that has a custom emblem, (Developer and src), receives a <file> tag. Inside that take, there is a <keyword> tag for each emblem applied to the file or folder.

I hope that helps a little...

corentin.barbu
November 2nd, 2011, 11:02 PM
Sorry for awaking the zombie, CalderCoalson (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=600089) gave an interesting answer but I have the same question and don't find files I have "noted" in this folder. Anywhere else I should search?