PDA

View Full Version : Objection to Ubuntu-trading forum

_DD_
June 24th, 2008, 01:56 PM
We all know about the Ubuntu cola brand and fair enough, they can use the name. However, take a look at their forums.

Take this post as an example...
http://www.ubuntu-trading.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20

Some poor person has obviously Googled "ubuntu forum" and stumbled across this. They've posted their issue not knowing that its the wrong Ubuntu, only to be replied to by loads of unmoderated spam posts.

This is not acceptable and gives both Ubuntu Linux and Ubuntu Trading a bad image.

The forum is of no use to the trading company - there are no active conversations about Ubuntu Trading, it is simply full of spam and people confused by its high entry in google who are pleading for help about Linux but getting no answers.

How about a request to Ubuntu-Trading that they remove the forum, or at least begin to manage the spam and place clear indications on the forum that it is not for Ubuntu Linux?

LaRoza
June 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I don't think so. It is obviously not this forum.

This is interesting: http://www.ubuntu-trading.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8

I see a lot of Ubuntu Linux things and loads of spam on it. It also doesn't have a lot of members. Given the amount of people using this forum, a small buffer might be a good thing :-)

wh0rd
June 24th, 2008, 02:01 PM
It's strange that a cola company would need a discussion board.

_DD_
June 24th, 2008, 02:04 PM
It is obviously not this forum.

It may be obvious to us, but evidently its not for some people.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to request a small banner along the top - you see it with other websites that share a name (for example the old owner of Firefox.com had a link saying "did you mean to find the Firefox browser" or something).

Fedz
June 24th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I think they should have a sticky pointing out they're not related to Ubuntu OS and a link to these forums though :-)

LaRoza
June 24th, 2008, 03:03 PM
I think they should have a sticky pointing out they're not related to Ubuntu OS and a link to these forums though :-)

Lets all back up ;)

Why should they change? They are most likely older?

Why don't we have a link to their site and forum?

It isn't that hard. They don't misrepresent their purpose, and neither do we.

aeiah
June 24th, 2008, 03:08 PM
since its been shown that they created the ubuntu brand when ubuntu linux was already a prominent brand, and since they stole the colours and aesthetic of ubuntu.com i dont think they'll have the integrity to do what you're proposing. after all, they have the forum there primerily to get people to see their cola drink, dont they? they dont care if the forum is full of spam and people asking about linux problems.

fatality_uk
June 24th, 2008, 03:19 PM
If you Google or pretty much any search engine, for Ubuntu Forums, the links to here occupy the top slots. I don't see how Linux posts have got in there.

LaRoza
June 24th, 2008, 03:22 PM
If you Google or pretty much any search engine, for Ubuntu Forums, the links to here occupy the top slots. I don't see how Linux posts have got in there.

If you type "forum", you get UbuntuForums :-)

Fedz
June 24th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Lets all back up ;)

Why should they change? They are most likely older?

Why don't we have a link to their site and forum?

It isn't that hard. They don't misrepresent their purpose, and neither do we.
I already checked before posting but, I do feel they are flying close to the wind with similarities - name and colours ;-)

Domain Whois:
Ubuntu.com: Created: 29/May/2004
UbuntuForums.com: Created: 09/Oct/2004
Ubuntu-trading.com: Created: 05/Feb/2007

fatality_uk
June 24th, 2008, 03:53 PM
If you type "forum", you get UbuntuForums :-)

Ctrl+T's a new tab, enters www.google.co.uk and forum.....

Not in the UK :| Got some odd forum about Kentish Town, huh!!!! Changed to http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=forum&btnG=Google+Search&meta= and got UbuntuForums as #1 :D

LaRoza
June 24th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Ctrl+T's a new tab, enters www.google.co.uk and forum.....

Not in the UK :| Got some odd forum about Kentish Town, huh!!!! Changed to http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=forum&btnG=Google+Search&meta= and got UbuntuForums as #1 :D

I thought I was joking!

fatality_uk
June 24th, 2008, 03:59 PM
I thought I was joking!

See that's the power of the hive mind. You just gotta THINK about something, even in jest, and it happens. Scary :D