PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Dual Boot Install

LookUpSeeBlu
June 24th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hi,

I am attempting to set up a dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 on a IBM desktop. I installed XP first and everything went fine. The box has a 40 GB HD and I gave 23 GB to Windows, the rest unpartitioned to be used by the Ubuntu install. I then went to boot Ubuntu and chose Install. Here it hung at the Gnome desktop screen. It stayed this way for an hour, with very delayed response from the mouse and then eventually no response at all.

I then ran the CD check and the memory test and both were fine. After this, I redownloaded the ISO and burned another CD. Same issue. So I booted up with the Windows CD and deleted all partitions to try to install Ubuntu first. Still the same. Lastly, I booted up a Knoppix CD to see if maybe the graphics card was having problems rendering or if maybe it was a RAM issue or anything to give me a clue... This booted and operated just fine.

Where should I go from here? The machine has 256 MB of RAM and a Pentium 4 2.0 GHz processor.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

Partyboi2
June 24th, 2008, 02:13 PM
You could try the alternate cd (http://releases.ubuntu.com/hardy/) which is text base installer.

LookUpSeeBlu
June 24th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'll try that. Thanks.

Kevbert
June 24th, 2008, 03:41 PM
The standard Ubuntu iso needs a minimum of 384Mb to install, hence the hang. The alternate disk recommended should work just fine.