PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Journaling software "The Journal"

FFighter
June 24th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Hello folks,

I'm a big fan of journaling. Keeping a diary can really do wonders to your life, it is a very efficient and simple way to practice writing too.

When I used Windows, I bought a copy of The Journal, from DavidRM Software (www.davidrm.com). What I like about this application is the quick way you can dump your thoughts:
- It stays always opened in the system tray, you can configure a shortcut to activate it;
- It is optimized for organizing data in a chronological way - Year/Month/Day. And every day it automatically creates a new entry and gives it focus.
- The GUI is very well thought albeit simple. Having quick access to all your entries in a easily accessible left-panel widget organized hierarchically in Years/Months/Days is a time-saver and most importantly, it makes it easy and fast to review past entries and gives you a good 10.000 feet overview.

The application is also very fast and lightweight.

So, I got used to it. I kept a diary in it for almost 2 years, when I then decided to try Ubuntu and was hooked :) I have tried to run it under wine but couldn't cope the glitches and quircks. I definitely would prefer a similar FOSS alternative.

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Tomboy - can be used for journaling, but is not really meant for it. Your diary entry gets lost in the myriad of other notes. Not cool;
- Private blog (wordpress) - Seemed a great replacement BUT I ended up by not writing because of the effort needed to fire up the browser/create new tab, access the URL, create the entry and save it.

So, if someone could suggest me a FOSS application that could be a potential replacement for "The Journal", I would be grateful!

MONODA
June 24th, 2008, 11:17 AM
have you seen basket notepads? it is great.

TedBuckland
January 25th, 2009, 10:02 PM
If you're still looking for a diary app, have a look at RedNotebook (http://rednotebook.sourceforge.net), it might just fit your needs.

pt123
January 25th, 2009, 10:13 PM
+1 rednotebook

Bou
January 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM
You might also like lifeograph: https://launchpad.net/lifeograph

doublewitt
March 10th, 2009, 02:58 AM
There is also the OSMO personal organizer.
Good for journal/diaries...
It's in the ADD/REMOVE section/office

Chemical Imbalance
March 10th, 2009, 03:01 AM
Have you tried to run "The Journal" with WINE? (WINE is a program that allows you to run some window programs-but not all yet)

I don't know if it will work, but its worth a try :)

EDIT:

I just downloaded it and...it works!!! :)

to install WINE:

sudo apt-get install wine

I will attach screenshots in a moment

Here ya go-The Journal running in Ubuntu!:

irfank
October 1st, 2010, 03:07 AM
Have you tried to run "The Journal" with WINE? (WINE is a program that allows you to run some window programs-but not all yet)

I don't know if it will work, but its worth a try :)

EDIT:

I just downloaded it and...it works!!! :)

Well, kind of, but a bit buggy. What is difficult is linking to files. Also, when I installed it, the graphical calendar display ... didn't display. I just downloaded RedNotebook, and it looks very good. It's always better to use a native linux ap than going through Wine if that's available.