PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Need to do a fresh install of Hardy Heron

binukavumkal
June 24th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Hi Friends
I have two specific issues.

1. I have got the 8.04 Hardy Heron DVD along with a Computer magazine. But machine could not able to boot from that DVD.

So I could not see the Ubuntu from Live DCD

When I try to boot from DVD, the machine complains no bootable media found error.

Could you help me to solve this?

2. I decided to do a fresh install from Dapper Drake to Hardy Heron. Since my DVD is not being detected, how can do the fresh installation? I could be able to browse the CD even in Dapper Drake.

Thanks
Binu

sys_alpha
June 24th, 2008, 10:14 AM
have you checked your BIOS setup for boot order ? is CD/DVD option enabled ?

erginemr
June 24th, 2008, 10:48 AM
And are you sure that the DVD you have got is bootable? More often than not, computer magazines pack other softwares and what-not into the distro's that they deliver in CD/DVD.

binukavumkal
June 24th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the quick responses.

My DVD contains only Ubuntu.

I changed BIOS to ensure machine would try to boot from DVD only.

How can I know that a DVD is bootable or not?

Assume the DVD contains all the required installation files for Ubuntu.

Can anybody tell how initiate the installation process (using any command) from Command prompt? Or from Drapper Drake itself?

Binu

erginemr
June 24th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I'd suggest you forget about the DVD and go grab the Ubuntu Hardy Heron Alternate CD (700 MB), from whence you can either do a clean install or upgrade from Dapper (this is possible AFAIK between LTS releases)

Or if you have a slow/limited connection, you can download even from the daily builds, which pack the latest updates:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/hardy/daily/current/

or get it from an Internet Café with a high-speed connection. Then, you can burn the image to a CD and use it to upgrade or for a clean install.

sys_alpha
June 24th, 2008, 01:21 PM
if you want to upgrade to hardy .... use synaptic after being a super user and then do add cdrom option after inserting the dvd.

After this select the upgrade option from menu . this will prompt you for some checks ... do them and you are done. :)

Better would be to install the hardy as a fresh .. so for that make room for hardy (don't forget to keep your data backed up if you don't know custom installation) and insert DVD .You will be guided by the installation process interactively ... Haapy Tuxing ...:):)

binukavumkal
June 28th, 2008, 09:58 AM
In BIOS Set up, there was no DVD configured. But My windows XP automatically detects the DVD ROM. So I overlooked the BIOS set up

I configured the DVD in BIOS set up properly. Machine booted from the DVD. I could see new Linux from DVD. Later I installed Linux successfully from the DVD.

I suggest to a fresh installation rather than an upgrade. Do all back up before doing this.

Thanks to all my friends once again!