PDA

View Full Version : Why not sell a version of ubuntu?

MONODA
June 24th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Before you start attacking me, I think that you should hear me out first :p. The other day my friend who lives in the US came to visit me in Lebanon (where it is legal to use the codecs etc.). I realized that his computer was running vista and was driving him crazy, I thought about installing ubuntu which is my prefered distro for many new users but then realized that he could not use these codecs back in the US and therefor obviously would not want to use ubuntu or any other linux. What i am trying to say is that there should be an exact replica of ubuntu but instead it costs something like 10$ but comes with the codecs LEGALLY. What o you think?

bufsabre666
June 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
im for starting to move videos and audio to open standards, the FSF has a campaign called playogg, which i support there is very few mp3's on my computer anymore ((podcast feeds mostly, some still dont come ogg which is annoying)) but as far as that goes i think youre the only one ive ever heard complaining about the legal issue in the US, i personally dont care, but hey thats just me.

MONODA
June 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
I also have all my media files in ogg theora and vorbis but most people wont want this since people share videos and windows and mac cant play ogg by default and neither can most portable media players. I really dont see open media formats dominating, ever... sadly...

kevin11951
June 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
https://shop.fluendo.com/product_info.php?products_id=42&osCsid=pq6us52p49rsvl5c0ipd572a87

This package contains all of Fluendo's GStreamer plugins which are:

Windows Media Audio Decoder (Windows Media 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro, Lossless and Speech)
Windows Media Video Decoder (Windows Media 7, 8, 9 and VC1)
Windows Media ASF Demuxer
Windows Media MMS Networking

MPEG2 Video Decoder
MPEG4 Part 2 (DivX version 4, 5 and 6. Not version 3 yet !) Video Decoder
H.264/AVC Video Decoder (32 bits only)
MPEG2 Program Stream and Transport Stream demuxer
MPEG4 ISO Demuxer
MP3 Audio Decoder
AC3 Audio Decoder
AAC Audio Decoder (32 bits only)

Be aware: After you have paid for this item in your shopping cart you will be taken back to the webshop to download this package. You can also log into the webshop later on and download the plugin through the 'my account' screen.

These plugins are made to run on systems with GStreamer 0.10.3 or higher and glibc 2.4 or higher. We recommend that all users try the free mp3 plugin before buying any other plugins to verify that our plugins runs on their system.

MONODA
June 24th, 2008, 08:59 AM
cool thanks Ill check that out.

reyfer
June 24th, 2008, 09:24 AM
im for starting to move videos and audio to open standards, the FSF has a campaign called playogg, which i support there is very few mp3's on my computer anymore ((podcast feeds mostly, some still dont come ogg which is annoying)) but as far as that goes i think youre the only one ive ever heard complaining about the legal issue in the US, i personally dont care, but hey thats just me.

I ripped again all my CD collection...I had all in mp3 on my PC from back when I used that other OS, but now my full collection is in either ogg or FLAC....and I know some audio purists will kill me for this, but now when I download music, if it comes only imçn mp3 format, I reencode to ogg...yes it looses some quality, but really, since I'm not using a top-of-the-line audio system, it sounds good to me. And my portable audio player supports ogg

bufsabre666
June 24th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I ripped again all my CD collection...I had all in mp3 on my PC from back when I used that other OS, but now my full collection is in either ogg or FLAC....and I know some audio purists will kill me for this, but now when I download music, if it comes only imçn mp3 format, I reencode to ogg...yes it looses some quality, but really, since I'm not using a top-of-the-line audio system, it sounds good to me. And my portable audio player supports ogg

exactly the same thing i do, if you encode at the highest bitrate you loose very little quality, im not an audiophile and i dont even notice the differnce and if i can i download in flac so when when i convert it it comes out like a regular ogg cause flac is lossless

Ebuntor
June 24th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I ripped again all my CD collection...I had all in mp3 on my PC from back when I used that other OS

Lol "that other OS", you mean "the OS we do not speak of"? ;)

regomodo
June 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
`

fatality_uk
June 24th, 2008, 11:22 AM
:lol: Ca$hbuntu :lol:

reyfer
June 24th, 2008, 11:28 AM
That is an odd thing to do.

The odd thing is how you cut my quote to seem like something else. what I said was:

but now my full collection is in either ogg or FLAC....and I know some audio purists will kill me for this, but now when I download music, if it comes only imçn mp3 format, I reencode to ogg...yes it looses some quality, but really, since I'm not using a top-of-the-line audio system, it sounds good to me.See?

regomodo
June 25th, 2008, 12:35 AM
`

original_jamingrit
June 25th, 2008, 01:08 AM
There's already Linux distros that distribute and (sometimes) sell proprietary stuff, see SUSE and Linspire. Ubuntu's got no reason to go down that road, except with pre-install OEM hardware. It's just that the proprietary stuff makes it hard to do any interesting stuff on your system (I mean, as long as we're worrying about legalities, here...)

reyfer
June 25th, 2008, 01:13 AM
No, it implies the same thing. You use FLAC despite having non-audiophile hardware and don't mind twice lossy-encoded songs, thus an odd-thing to do.

I use FLAC to store my music, and OGG to listen on my PC, and, I know some will be outraged...I use CDs to listen on my CD player.

And about the FLAC and reencoding from mp3 to ogg....well, as I said, FLAC for storage, but to listen music on my PC i value more OGG than mp3

Vitamin-Carrot
June 25th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Here in New Zealand a store called Dicksmith Electronic that sell Copies of ubuntu for 10 NZ dollars ...

lisati
June 25th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Here in New Zealand a store called Dicksmith Electronic that sell Copies of ubuntu for 10 NZ dollars ...
My local **** Smith outlet recently had some copies of Feisty for under $NZ5

linkunderscore
June 25th, 2008, 01:53 AM
haha codecs

I doubt codecs are an issue with any ubuntu user in the United States.

cardinals_fan
June 25th, 2008, 01:57 AM
haha codecs

I doubt codecs are an issue with any ubuntu user in the United States.
That explained a lot...

frup
June 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM
I'm sure the only reason it doesn't exist yet is that Canonical decided it isn't worth it.