PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Free NX - login to same session?

pickarooney
June 24th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Is there some way of getting NX to connect to the existing linux session so I can use it to remotely train a user?
I first tried setting up VNC, which did the same thing (created a new session) and was hoping NX would be a better solution.

edit: It's not actually the separate program freenx, but the free version of NX

Sawyer_
June 24th, 2008, 08:27 AM
When you terminate the current session in NX, it prompts you a window asking if you want to disconnect or terminate from the current session.

When you select disconnect, when you log in through NX the next time, the client will prompt you a list of the sessions available and then you will be able to resume the previous session.

pickarooney
June 24th, 2008, 09:14 AM
What I really mean is that if someone is sitting in front of the PC, can I connect in such a way that they see on the screen what I'm doing with the mouse and keyboard?

Sawyer_
June 24th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Ah, I think that is possible by selecting the Shadow desktop setting from the general tab in the configuration.
This will allow another client to attach to the running session.

pickarooney
June 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
This is in the server config then? I'll have a look, thanks :)

Sawyer_
June 24th, 2008, 10:11 AM
No, I was talking about the configuration on the NX Client.

pickarooney
June 24th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Ah... brilliant, thanks :D

Baneblade
August 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I was looking for this as well as it would always create a new session and change all my themes. I still find creating a new session quicker from a remote location though (probably compiz' fault i think?)

Anyway, thanks to Sawyer_ for pointing out "Shadow"!