PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] When will Firefox 3.b4 in Gutsy Backports be Upgraded to FF 3 Final?

Ubuntiac
June 24th, 2008, 08:03 AM
The title pretty much says it all.

My wife's laptop is on Gutsy. She loves her FF3 but isn't ready for Hardy just yet. I'm just wondering when we'll see it upgraded from beta 4 to Final. It's been 3 1/2 months since b4 was released now, and while I get not wanting to update backports for every beta, surely its worth it for Final.

jrusso2
June 24th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Looks like never.

misGnomer
July 9th, 2008, 08:38 AM
There is a guide to installing the original version from mozilla.org (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=833036).

A backports version would of course be nice and easier to install, but keeping it up-to-date might also involve more work than the average backport.

Perhaps jdong & team could revisit the Firefox 3 backporting issue now that 8.04.1 is out and FF3 (release version) is part of it.

I have the impression that a siginificant minority of Ubuntu users are still using Gutsy (7.10) and they could benefit from an improved FF3 experience. In any case Firefox 3.0b4 is a bit dated by now, and possibly suspect to some security issues too. Since it was added to Gutsy Backports in the first place, it'd be nice to see it kept updated too.

el_johno
July 18th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I've been unable to use hardy because of issues with wireless so am forced to stay with gutsy. I know others are having similar issues and it would be nice to see standard packages such as firefox 3 backported.

soloman498
July 18th, 2008, 01:17 PM
FF3 Final is out. I downloaded it a couple of days ago