PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstalled too many drivers, GUI not working

dhruvkh
June 24th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Right.

Hi there! I'm a total newbie. Had someone install Ubuntu for me, so that I could play around and learn.
I played around. Didn't learn.

The network manager wasn't catching my Internet Signal, so a friend told me to uninstall it and install madwifi instead. I uninstalled it, installed Madwifi; Madwifi didn't work.
(Meanwhile, while running from the Disk, Network Manager started catching my wifi!!!)

So then I tried re-installing NetwMan. Didn't work out too well.

In frustration, I uninstalled all new internet drivers I had installed, and I believe I uninstalled many more (all the drivers within that category :( )

Now my GUI is not loading. Ubuntu loads onto not the desktop but the commandline/commandprompt/whateveryoucallit.

So I'm sitting right now with ubuntu 7.10 in my hand, and an older version on my comp that doesn't work.

I thought maybe I should try installing it on the top of the already existing version. So I started the install window, and stopped dead on the Partition screen.
Thing is, I also have WindowsXP running with all my sensitive documents in it. I don't want to crash that!

The Installation is asking me how I want to partition the 7 or so GB that my friend had seperated for ubuntu (along with another separate 500ish MB, for some other purpose. He was a whiz. I'm not. And he's not around to help me, so I turn to y'all.)

Hope you guys can help!