PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] safe to nuke pidgin-data?

vikramaditya
June 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
I want to completely remove pidgin thru synaptic. When marking pidgin itself for complete removal, the pidgin-otr plugin gets selected for removal as well, but pidgin-data is left unmarked. Will hardy die if I nuke all 3? BTW, one of my few peeves with synaptic is that it often fails to select all of the packages that were installed with a particular app. :(

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Nothing should happen. I just tried it and it didn't try to remove ubuntu-desktop like I thought it would.

angryfirelord
June 24th, 2008, 04:20 AM
If it's just those three, then Hardy will stay alive. If you see ubuntu-desktop getting removed, then you'll run into problems.

shae
June 24th, 2008, 04:35 AM
No, it is safe to remove ubuntu-desktop. Just make sure you do not see something like lib-gnome, xorg, linux-*, etc.

tinny
June 24th, 2008, 04:44 AM
No, it is safe to remove ubuntu-desktop. Just make sure you do not see something like lib-gnome, xorg, linux-*, etc.

Doesnt sound safe to me.

This package depends on all of the packages in the Ubuntu desktop system

It is also used to help ensure proper upgrades, so it is recommended that it not be removed.

Found here: http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/base/ubuntu-desktop

vikramaditya
June 24th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Thanks, all :) I got rid of pidgin and pidgin-otr, but when I mark pidgin-data for complete removal, it wants to take libpurple0 along for the ride. Here's the synaptic description of libpurple0 . . .

multi-protocol instant messaging library
libpurple is a library intended to be used by programmers seeking
to write an IM client that connects to many IM networks.
Currently supported are: AIM/ICQ, Yahoo!, MSN, IRC, Jabber, Napster, Zephyr,
Gadu-Gadu, Bonjour, Groupwise, Sametime, SILC, and SIMPLE.

Some extra packages are suggested to use increased functionality:
* tcl8.4, tk8.4:
- Support for writing plugins with Tcl/Tk
It doesn't sound vital if one is not doing instant messaging, but then one nevah know, do one? ;)

angryfirelord
June 24th, 2008, 04:47 AM
Thanks, all :) I got rid of pidgin and pidgin-otr, but when I mark pidgin-data for complete removal, it wants to take libpurple0 along for the ride. Here's the synaptic description of libpurple0 . . .

It doesn't sound vital if one is not doing instant messaging, but then one nevah know, do one? ;)
libpurple0 is the library that pidgin uses for communication, so yes it is ok to remove that package as well since no one else uses it at this moment.

jualin
June 24th, 2008, 04:51 AM
You can remove ubuntu-desktop if you like, however I think that you will end up without a GUI and then you would need to use the command line to install a (*)ubuntu-desktop package. Pretty much Ubuntu-desktop installs the Gnome version of Ubuntu. If you want to try out other versions such as Kubuntu you can install kubuntu-desktop and then choose at every login what Desktop environment you want to run.

vikramaditya
June 24th, 2008, 05:10 AM
You can remove ubuntu-desktop if you like, however I think that you will end up without a GUI and then you would need to use the command line to install a (*)ubuntu-desktop package. Pretty much Ubuntu-desktop installs the Gnome version of Ubuntu. If you want to try out other versions such as Kubuntu you can install kubuntu-desktop and then choose at every login what Desktop environment you want to run.
Actually, I brazenly removed ubuntu-desktop during an earlier uninstall. I rebooted with no apparent consequences, but when I reinstalled ubuntu-desktop my wicd network app was replaced by the wretched gnome network manager. No prob, just reinstalled wicd and carried on.