PDA

View Full Version : The big change over

paterjbayliss
June 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Hi folks, i am newbie to the world of Linux and Ubuntu.

I have tried os' like PCLinuxOs and Ubuntu and i like them, they do almost everything i use a home computer for. It has been 8 months since i stopped using Ubuntu and switched to Vista Ultimate (it looks nice i will give it that, but very annoying with the user action requests and lots of other stuff thats too numerous to mention here) This is the one thing i cant get past with Ubuntu...

The one thing i am loathing to miss out on is GAMING. I know there are lots of games for linux and most of them are free, but its the well known games that i play and enjoy such as, C&C 3, Call of Duty and GTA. I have tried to run these in Vm. If the game works, i have to turn the graphics way down and usually get choppy game play.

Is there any way to get these games to run in hi graphic detail smoothly. If this can be done easliy, than i will be more than happy to ditch Microsoft and never look back.

My system is a intel 2.4Ghz dual core with 2Gb ram and an Nvidia 7600video card.

Any advice and help would be greatly received.

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Dual boot. VMs are not good for running games because you don't use all of your system's resources.

ad_267
June 24th, 2008, 04:03 AM
You can check out the wine app db to see how well they run under wine. http://appdb.winehq.org/

Also check out Nexuiz and Wolfenstein Enemy Territory. Both are free and for Linux.

And enemy territory quake wars is available for Linux.

kk0sse54
June 24th, 2008, 04:05 AM
You probably could get some of them to work in wine but why fight your computer when you can just set up a dual boot?

paterjbayliss
June 24th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I dont mind the idea of dual boot, but i just dont want the hassle of restarting my computer before and after playing a game. I am just lazy like that :)

RiceMonster
June 24th, 2008, 04:13 AM
If you don't want to restart, try wine then. I'm not going to tell you it will solve your gaming problems though. That said, it works for what I want to play - Counterstrike 1.6, Starcraft, Diablo II, SkiFREE and Elastomania.

smartboyathome
June 24th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Use what works for you, if Linux doesn't work, fine, don't use it. If you want, use Ubuntu in a VM with windows, and save the VM's state before you play a game.

madjr
June 24th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Hi folks, i am newbie to the world of Linux and Ubuntu.

I have tried os' like PCLinuxOs and Ubuntu and i like them, they do almost everything i use a home computer for. It has been 8 months since i stopped using Ubuntu and switched to Vista Ultimate (it looks nice i will give it that, but very annoying with the user action requests and lots of other stuff thats too numerous to mention here) This is the one thing i cant get past with Ubuntu...

The one thing i am loathing to miss out on is GAMING. I know there are lots of games for linux and most of them are free, but its the well known games that i play and enjoy such as, C&C 3, Call of Duty and GTA. I have tried to run these in Vm. If the game works, i have to turn the graphics way down and usually get choppy game play.

Is there any way to get these games to run in hi graphic detail smoothly. If this can be done easliy, than i will be more than happy to ditch Microsoft and never look back.

My system is a intel 2.4Ghz dual core with 2Gb ram and an Nvidia 7600video card.

Any advice and help would be greatly received.

Hi there and welcome to the forums :)

for your gaming needs here is a good forum thread which i recently responded to

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=834454&highlight=wine

oh and check out my post there :)

so check wine-reviews for all your Wine needs and tweaks:

http://www.wine-reviews.net/archive.html#catid53

and the playonlinux program :)