PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Is it possible to install Kubuntu via the internet

seniormartinez
June 24th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Hello

I was trying to install Kubuntu in one of my PCs. Somehow, I cannot manage to do it. As soon as the GUI for the installation shows up, the whole things halts. Is there anyway I can do an installation via the internet like with Debian or the closest I can get is through a network install? Well thanks in advance.

Slim Odds
June 24th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Did you try the alternate CD? Text based install

seniormartinez
June 24th, 2008, 04:14 AM
i downloaded it, but i didn't try it. I was reading info about it and it mentioned that it was for computers with no network access, so i didn't give it any more thought. Anyways, do you know if it has that option?

Slim Odds
June 24th, 2008, 06:06 PM
i downloaded it, but i didn't try it. I was reading info about it and it mentioned that it was for computers with no network access, so i didn't give it any more thought. Anyways, do you know if it has that option?

It only does text based install......

apampe
June 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I have a similar issue, in which I'd like to install from the HDD or over the network; any method without the cd really.

I'm running ubuntu or kubuntu on all 4 of my desktops and 1 laptop so I've gotten fairly comfortable with it including one recompilation of the kernel (that was with suse though). My problem I can't seem to solve is that my laptop is stuck with suse 10. It's an old miniature Sony Vaio PCG-SR27 with only a PCMCIA CD drive. Most all linux distributions (including ubuntu) will boot up from the drive, but then the installation looses sight of the cd, I'm assuming because it dosen't have PCMCIA CD support at install time.

So for some reason Suse 10 worked on the vaio, which I'm currently using, but would like to switch to ubuntu. With suse installed is there any way to copy the contents of the installer to the HDD and then launch it all without a CD? Or is there a network solution, that could work through the PCMCIA 802.11 card since it has no RJ45 port?