PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] persistant connections with "Connect to Server..."

sd_read
June 24th, 2008, 01:37 AM
If this has been asked already I couldn't find it?

I upgraded from Ubuntu 7.10. While using this version I used Places > Connect to Server to establish an SSH connection to my server (which is running Suse 10.1).

Whenever I booted up Ubuntu the icon was on my desktop. I simply pressed it, entered my password and was looking at files on the (Suse) server with Nautilus.

Now, in Ubuntu 8.04 this does not work? Icons I create with Connect to Server are active only for that session.

On the next boot they are gone.

How do I fix this so they will stay on the desktop just as it was with 7.10?

Thank you for your prompt response- Steve

SpaceTeddy
June 24th, 2008, 09:29 AM
this is a "feature" that pisses me off too. But, they are not gone. They are just not shown on the desktop anymore until you use them again. Since i have a german ubuntu, i cannot tell you the exact the place to look, but in your places menu (top-left) there should be a bookmarks folder in there.
That's where the saved folders go now. Once you opened it in a session, it will reappear on your desktop.

For my taste this is more a bug than a feature... really.

hope it helps :)

sd_read
June 26th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Right you are and I agree that to me it seem more like a bug.

I have found a few things that are different.

For example clicking on System > Adminitration > Users and Groups used to first ask for the password. Now it doesn't and I couldn't figure out how to access groups until I finally found a new button called Unlock.

Well to me they are putting in change for the sake of change (like Microsoft likes to do) and it is annoying because I have to relearn how to do things I used to know how to do!

Thank you for your help- Steve